Anyone every tried Belly Dancing?

Options
I have been dancing for about 5 years and not changing anything else (like diet, etc) I ended up losing about 70 lb. Of course only doing one thing can only take you so far... But I wanted to know if there are any other dancers on here.

Belly Dancing has currently helped me. Maybe it can help you too, or we can help each other if you already dance :)

Replies

• sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Never thought of that. Good idea! Thanks.
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really classify myself as a belly dancer, but I did take a 4 week class through our local community college. It was lots of fun - got WAY outside my box! Definitely a workout, and something I hope to do again sometime!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Tried it, liked it. Not very good at it but I don't mind. :laugh:

I was thinking of taking classes awhile back.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I took a class for a couple of weeks and loved it!! The classes are offered as a part of community programs by the local school district.
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I should totally try this belly dancing thing!!
  • kpadilla411
    Options
    Yesssss!!!
    I took classes at the gym and absolutely LOVED it!! It doesn't burn about of cal but it definitely helps tone your waistline.
    Other dances are better for losing weigh but belly dancing is a low impact dance to tone your abs.
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I have a DVD tape I would do every once in a while..... haven't done in a bit.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I should totally try this belly dancing thing!!

Do it! PLEASE!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    been dancing a couple years , well with a year break inbetween did something to my knee,
    this past year i found a dance studio that offers it yay. don't know what i am going to do for the summer boohoo.
    guess dvds
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Yesssss!!!
    I took classes at the gym and absolutely LOVED it!! It doesn't burn about of cal but it definitely helps tone your waistline.
    Other dances are better for losing weigh but belly dancing is a low impact dance to tone your abs.

The style of belly dancing you do actually depends on how high impact your dancing is. I specifically dealt with Suihala (I know Im spealling her name wrong...doh), which meant we were drilled for an hour and a half in circles working on coordinating steps with muscle retractions...Minimal choreography in level one...Its an *kitten* kicker that will make you sweat.

I have classes that I will resume going to in three weeks, which I intend to wear my HRM for.
  • smoonygirl
    smoonygirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yesssss!!!

The style of belly dancing you do actually depends on how high impact your dancing is. I specifically dealt with Suihala (I know Im spealling her name wrong...doh), which meant we were drilled for an hour and a half in circles working on coordinating steps with muscle retractions...Minimal choreography in level one...Its an *kitten* kicker that will make you sweat.

I have classes that I will resume going to in three weeks, which I intend to wear my HRM for.

Yeah, the calorie burn certainly depends on what your doing :) 20 min shimmy drills (like my teach does) works everything as she makes us do arm movements while trying to keep your abs engaged to NOT move, while trying to keep your knees and hips moving... she then makes us go from singles, to doubles, triples and even the "vibrate" and no.. not in that order... she likes to "mix it up" .... You put a shimmy walk in there and it's over.. hahaa and thats just the first 20 min of an hour(+) class!
  • smoonygirl
    Options
    Tried it, liked it. Not very good at it but I don't mind. :laugh:

I was thinking of taking classes awhile back.

You should!! The "good" part simply comes with practise. As you learn to control your muscles and your body, you will learn how to perfect the moves. It just takes time, like anything worth doing.
  • Stephb4
    Stephb4 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do a ballroom class twice a week, SOOOOO much fun and a totally wonderful workout!! I leave dance class sweating way more than I do when I leave the gym!!!
  • smoonygirl
    Options
    I love dancing. I thought about trying a swing class or something like that... but I think you have to have a partner and that I am lacking in at the moment! haha
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I love dancing. I thought about trying a swing class or something like that... but I think you have to have a partner and that I am lacking in at the moment! haha

You need to check into this! If your area has an active swing dancing community, they will offer classes that you do not need a partner for. The entire class will rotate around, so even if the same number of leads and follows don't show up, nobody will be left sitting out.
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You have no idea what you're askin ha ha!!
  • smoonygirl
    Options
    You have no idea what you're askin ha ha!!

HAHAHA they DO have male belly dancers!!!! :)
  • Jill_Clemmons
    Options
    I've been taking belly danging classes at the YMCA since last summer, and it's really fun! Most people just wear gym clothes to do it -- just 1 or 2 participants wear belly dancing outfits. A few people wear a belly dancing hip scarf over their gym clothes.