airport food

Options
i'm headed off to Florida this weekend and am worried about airport food. thankfully i have a direct flight and am planning on packing a snack, but i don't even know what can go through security any longer (clearly no liquids, i know that). i was going to pack some almonds and dates. any other suggestions?

and while i'm at it, any tips for staying on track while on vacation?

Replies

• abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    You can pretty much bring any food through security (my boyfriend brought cooked pasta in a ziploc bag a few weeks ago), but it's probably simpler to bring something sealed! Look for fresh fruit snacks in some of the shops or try to find a salad...you can usually find decent stuff if you look hard enough!

As for travelling, just try as hard as you can. Try to get exercise in when you can, look for healthier menu options, portion control...pretty much everything you're doing now! Try to use your phone to log all your foods so you have an idea about how you're doing!

Good luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can get just about anything by them except for liquids. We've brought everything from a sandwich to home made waffles! Fruit is ok. If you're super concerned, pack a full meal...if it's breakfast, you can probably find a relatively "safe" breakfast sandwich at the airport or at lunch a turkey sandwich maybe.

As far as the vacation, I went on Vacation one month after signing up for this site. One of the things that helped was that we ate breakfast really late and then only had dinner later...so I didn't have to try to divide calories between 3 meals and snacks. I find that I rarely snack on vacation anyway because we are always on the go. Of course you are supposed to still eat 3 meals, but no matter what, make sure you get some protein at breakfast and shoot for lean meats and vegetables the rest of the day :) I had to turn down a lot of "unsafe" foods and desserts from my husband's family on this vacation! Enjoy yourself!
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I stole a banana from the breakfast buffet at my hotel and put it in my carry on. The TSA scanned my bag twice... so I ate the contraband.

But seriously, as long as you pack your food in ziploc bags, I don't think they really care what you bring food-wise. Oranges are a fruit that travels well (easy to eat on the go and no bruising). I like to grab pretzels or dry cereal for snacks.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I love, LOVE, love Larabars. They're a protein bar that has no gluten and no added sugar. They're full serving of fruit and are so yummy! Good luck and have a safe trip!
  • gardengram
    gardengram Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to bag up snacks, portioned out into zip lock snack bags, pretzels, my favorite special k chips, dried fruit, nuts, you can take a sandwich with you I believe, I have found some places that sell sandwiches in airport, they are packaged without mayo or anything. I think the only thing you cannot take thru security is liquids more than 3 oz. You can take an empty water bottle and fill it at fountain I believe or I usually just buy a bottle of water at the cheapest spot I can find which is often a vending machine. Good luck it is not to difficult to stay on track if you just think about it and if you are getting exercise on your vacation you will be good, have a good time.
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing! Not going on vacation but recently started a traveling consulting job. My hubby makes such delish dal on the weekends ... I get to the office late after the flight and I wanted to pack some for lunch when I get there. So ... does dal (basically lentil curry) get thru security?
  • travelgirl09
    travelgirl09 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I travel full time and you can pack a salad in a plastic bowl. But, no tomatoes in it. No salad dressings, etc. But you can get those at any restaurant.

I've taken dry cereal and gotten milk after going through security.

As far as being on vacation, for the most part, mostly watch your portions and plan on one special meal where you just eat.

Traveling full time I have lost 29 pounds living in hotels, so it can be done!

Good luck.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    enjoy while on vacation - eat what you want, but don't stuff yourself and don't eat if you're not hungry.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I would buy Eat This Not That. It has some awesome suggestions for fast food picks as well as the healthiest vending machine snacks.

For breakfast, try to have a lean protein and a whole grain or fruit: egg whites, oatmeal, whole wheat toast, fresh fruit cup, yogurt, omelet, turkey bacon

For lunch, load up on veggies like side salads, seasoned vegetables, sauteed vegetables or fresh veggies like carrots and celery. Have a lean meat like grilled chicken or a small steak. If you are going to have a sandwich, go with whole grains, and try to opt for a lettuce wrap instead of a bun. Chili and low cal soups are also wonderful lunch options.

For supper there are a lot more places where you can go wrong. If you want pasta, stick with red, veggie based sauces, and add on grilled chicken or fish (ask for whole wheat pasta). Small steaks, grilled chicken and non-breaded seafood platters as a combo with steamed veggies are also good. For sides, don't give into the unlimited bread basket. Instead ask them not to bring it, or ask them to just bring you one for the entire night.

Drinks: Stick with low cal options like water, diet pop and light beer.

Sodium: Don't use the dalt shaker ever. Instead use pepper and lay off on the heavy salad dressings or super fried choices.

Snacks: For plane rides I have a go-to list- almonds, dried fruit, granola bars, protein bars, beef jerky (high in sodium, but high in protein as well), baked chips, sun chips, unsalted pretzels, 100 calorie packs, fresh fruits with peels like bananas (apples are best and most sturdy), cut up veggies strips like peppers, carrots and celery
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    You can bring an empty thermos cup and large water bottle....fill them after going through security (from water fountains...or Starbucks....). I didn't know this until I asked (and, as my thermos and my water bottle are metal, it seems counter-intuitive, since they become excellent cudgels when full...but shhhh..) I've tucked sandwiches and fruit into my carryon without any problems, bring fruit leathers, nuts, dried fruit, popped corn, chips in single serve bags.... nothing's been a problem yet.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    everytime i travel I buy tuna packets and use wasa crackers if i have to stay at a hotel I will go to a nearby grocery store and get a lean cusine and make it in the lobby. and I always try to drink lots of water b/c if you have to eat out it will prob be high in sodium
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You can bring an empty thermos cup and large water bottle....fill them after going through security (from water fountains...or Starbucks....). I didn't know this until I asked (and, as my thermos and my water bottle are metal, it seems counter-intuitive, since they become excellent cudgels when full...but shhhh..) I've tucked sandwiches and fruit into my carryon without any problems, bring fruit leathers, nuts, dried fruit, popped corn, chips in single serve bags.... nothing's been a problem yet.

plain popped popcorn is an excellent idea!
  • helgamaria1
    helgamaria1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I travel through international airports many times a month and the one thing I can always rely on when I´m looking for a healthy meal in an airport with not to many calories is sushi. Try to eat at meal times though, not just because you're on a plane and the flight attendants are bringing food. Depending on the length of the flight I would try to eat at the airport before boarding, you have more choice and you can use the flight to relax and sleep or read instead of spending it eating with a mini tray on your knees. Skip the alcohol and drink plenty of water on the flight to avoid jet lag and the carb cravings that comes with it. Have a nice trip!!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Definitely try to pack lots of snacks... I took a trip recently and was supposed to have just a quick hour long flight, but ended up with a 7 hour delay and the only food available was cookies! I had a few of my own snacks too but boy that was hard.

I made up some pre-measured baggies with almonds and goldfish crackers for each of the days I was away, and bought a container of greek yogurt and some fruit to snack on from the grocery store that was nearby. :) Good luck!