Zumba DVD vs Zumba for Wii???

Options
I've never tried Zumba but have heard a lot of good things about it. I would like to try it, but there are no zumba classes where I live. So...does anyone have a recommendation of getting either a DVD or the Wii game? Thanks!

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My mom says the game is lame.
    She said there is no real music, just like clicking.
    But I haven't done it myself, so I'm not sure.
  • jenn2782
    jenn2782 Posts: 47
    Options
    I've played the game, have the dvds and have taken classes..I absolutely love it. I would recommend the DVD's if you can't take a class. The game is hard to follow if you've never done it before or at least I thought it was.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The interface on the game is pretty annoying at first, but I prefer the game to the DVDs. I think it is the whole competitive aspect of it that pushes me to work harder so I can unlock the more advanced workouts. But hten I seem to have exercise ADD and get bored with DVDs in general pretty quickly.
  • PecanTanDiva
    Options
    The Wii game is kind of cool. It has a calendar that tracks your workouts and it has a lot of different types of music genre's. It was fun for me because my kids joined in which made it more fun.
  • Sunshinema
    Options
    i have done both the classes and the wii. the classes are definitely better and i am guessing the dvd's are probably bettr than the wii but i did work up a sweat and since i already had several of the different wii fitness dvd's i thought it was good to add to the collection....
  • Wollert
    Wollert Posts: 3
    Options
    I do not have the dvd but I do have the Wii Zumba and it is very good. I like it better then the live class. However, word of advice - do not get frustrated if you can not keep up with the steps and moves at first. Almost impossible to keep up - start out doing the best you can and you will get better each time you do it (and yes it does have music). Also set up a schedule in the program and follow it. I lost 14 pounds doing this and eating better in 30 days. Good luck!!!!
  • Yemaya1129
    Options
    I prefer the game to the DVDs. I think the moves and cueing are easier/better. My one complaint is that the basic level is only 20 minutes.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have the DVDs and I like that you can learn the steps before just getting thrown into it! I had done the basics with learning the steps and the Zumba Fitness express before going to my first class.. Helped a lot!! There are sculpting and toning and cardio party and then Zumba Live. They only one I havent tried yet is the scultping one. Don''t have the one for the Wii so cant comment there.
  • laniackerman1
    Options
    Ooh sounds lovely! Think i'll get Zumba for Wii then as well. Do I need to get the wii fit with it to do the Zumba?
  • JanW01
    JanW01 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have both and prefer the dvds. The dvds are smooth dances running one right after another with no stopping in between. I just feel like I get a better workout.
  • Alexaaniya1
    Options
    I love the Wii Zumba. I do agree with Wollert, It is a little hard to keep up at first, but most things are when you first start. I say give a go :smile:
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    The interface on the game is pretty annoying at first, but I prefer the game to the DVDs. I think it is the whole competitive aspect of it that pushes me to work harder so I can unlock the more advanced workouts. But hten I seem to have exercise ADD and get bored with DVDs in general pretty quickly.

LMAO...I think I have "exercise ADD" too! I do a workout for awhile and get bored of it very easily.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a specific DVD for zumba to recommend? I want to download one but there's tons to choose from...
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love the DVD's and feel silly as I yell at the screen because the one high energy gal never seems to break a sweat and I'm drenched in sweat in the first 15 minutes. Once you get the basic moves, as long as you are keeping pace to the music, you will get a great cardio work out. There are classes near me but I'd rather not look like a spaz in public and keep that to my own home.

I had my 24yo daughter try it with me and she LOVED it. We laughed a lot and enjoyed ourselves. I wish they would come out with Zumba for Kinect. Though we found the Zumba DVD gives a better workout than even Dance Central on Kinect.
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I got my DVD set with the maraca weights off Amazon.com
  • JanW01
    Options
    I love the DVD's and feel silly as I yell at the screen because the one high energy gal never seems to break a sweat and I'm drenched in sweat in the first 15 minutes. Once you get the basic moves, as long as you are keeping pace to the music, you will get a great cardio work out. There are classes near me but I'd rather not look like a spaz in public and keep that to my own home.

I had my 24yo daughter try it with me and she LOVED it. We laughed a lot and enjoyed ourselves. I wish they would come out with Zumba for Kinect. Though we found the Zumba DVD gives a better workout than even Dance Central on Kinect.

They do have a Zumba for Kinect but it isn't getting very good reviews.
  • zoebea33
    zoebea33 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have zumba for kinnect its fab x

6438870.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have the ps3 game and I like it... I haven't tried the dvd's or a class though so I can't really compare them.
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor and I own both of the DVD sets (the one from 2008 and the one that came out this April). Nothing beats the live class! If you can't get to the live class, the DVD's are are close as you'll get. I know the game makes it a competition so you can unlock "levels" (so if you like that, go for the game), but the DVD set has so many interesting aspects to work out, tone and most importantly have fun. Zumba is supposed to have a party atmosphere. Plus the instructors on the DVD's are great (some of them I've met personally).
  • JanW01
    Options
    I have zumba for kinnect its fab x

Good to know! :smile: