Jillian's 30 Day Shred - Opinions?

Options
I've been hearing a lot about this dvd program and wanted some honest opinions. What do you think? Is it gimicky? Will it add to my existing regimen or should I just ramp up what I already do? Do I need a lot of room? Is it something you do standing or on the floor or both? Are there modifications to the routine? (I need to baby my knee). Do I need to buy additional things like an exercise ball or weights? Can you easily see the "models" or is it hard to follow? Is it fun and motivating or will I dread it? I really have no idea what the routine is like so I welcome all comments, positive and negative. Thank you!

Replies

• meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I actually really like the 30DS, and am probably going to get another of Jillian's DVDs when I finish this one. I don't think it's gimmicky at all. The way it works is, there are three levels. You start at level 1 and do that for 10 days (or until you feel ready to move up to level 2). Then 10 days at level 2, and 10 at level 3. Each level has a warmup, then three circuits of strength (3 minutes), cardio (2 minutes) and abs ( 1 minute), then cooldown.

There are definitely modifications for many moves if you need to take extra care of your knee.

You can use it however you like. I allow 25 minutes for the whole thing.

You do not need a lot of room. I do it in our study, which is not very big! Abs are on the floor, cardio is standing, and strength is mostly standing but occasional floor work. I use either 3 or 5 lb hand weights for the strength portions, depending on the exercise.

I think it's quite motivating, and since it's not very long, it is easy to find time to do it and quick to get through.

Of course, I am still on level 2...I may be singing a different tune when I hit level 3. ;)
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about it too. I suspect you WILL need weights. I am using Jillian Michaels for Beginners "Backside" and "Frontside" DVDs and they're GREAT. I love them. They're challenging enough but can be modified. She uses free weights, a chair, and a yoga mat in those.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing a lot about this dvd program and wanted some honest opinions. What do you think? Is it gimicky? Will it add to my existing regimen or should I just ramp up what I already do? Do I need a lot of room? Is it something you do standing or on the floor or both? Are there modifications to the routine? (I need to baby my knee). Do I need to buy additional things like an exercise ball or weights? Can you easily see the "models" or is it hard to follow? Is it fun and motivating or will I dread it? I really have no idea what the routine is like so I welcome all comments, positive and negative. Thank you!

I am on day 8 and I like it. There are three levels and I"m on level 1 consists of Jumping Jacks, crunches, push up's and stuff like that and you do need weights. You can do an easier version if you just can't do the full steps. Needs some room just because you need to do jumping jacks. Easy to follow.It is not really fun.. but I don't mind doing it. It's only 20 min long. I like it, I now tune out Jillian and turn up the radio full blast! There is a lot of jumping related work outs so at that point if I just can't do it, I"ll just dance or run in place to keep my heart rate up. I hope this helps.
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You can use soup cans for weights, if you don't want to buy them. Not quite as heavy, but it's something.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just got it last week. All you need is some hand weights and a mat if you think your floor is too hard. You don't need very much room at all. Jumping jacks probably needs to most space. I was very sore after I did it. I think the warm up is very quick so I'm going to maybe stretch more or get on our treadmill for a few minutes to get going first.

I thought it was very good because it is very basic stuff. No crazy moves that I can't figure out how to do. You do thinks like punch, jumping jacks, some weight work on your back, push ups. Keep in mind that I have never done any exercise video or class so maybe "basic" fits me better than someone who has done a lot of DVD or class type things.

It was less than $8 on amazon so I thought for that price it was worth checking out. Now my wife is using it as well!
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love it so far. There are lots of modifications that are lower impact. I have not so great knees and wrists, and haven't had any problems with it so far. Although I am only on level 1. The only things you need are two hand weight, I suggest 3 lbs for most people just starting. and a exercise mat if you have non carpeted floors like in my apartment.

If you have a very bad knee be careful because their are jumping jacks, butt kicks and a jump rope exercise. If you are really worried about it I would get a brace or talk to your doctor before you start it.

Also If you do buy it I would watch it once through so you can see the modifications and her corrections on how to do some of the exercises as to not injure yourself.
  • msmonique95
    msmonique95 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred right now and I'm really enjoy it. It's only 20 minutes and there are 3 different levels. You decide when you are ready to move on the the next level. Yes, you can see the other two women who are working out and yes there are modifications to some of the moves. No, you don't need a lot of room. I do it in my living room in front of my coffee table or in my bedroom. The only thing that you need to buy is a set of weights. Nope, there isn't anything FUN about it but I don't think that you will dread it at all. If you don't have a lot of time to workout, this is the perfect thing for you. I really enjoy it.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    no gimmicks, just greatness :happy: no really, it's awesome. you do need weights, but those aren't very expensive either. i started with 30 day shred, and since bought shred it with weights (a kettleball workout) and ripped in 30. it works :) i did 30DS about 4-5 times a week and lost 5lb and a total of 7 inches in a month :) it's also pretty fun!
  • sschoolman
    sschoolman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really like the 30 day shred and her new one ripped in 30. I agree-don't need much room and just hand weights. Girls are easy to follow and modifications are well explained. I don't do them everyday, rather use them when I don't have time to do a long workout but still want something intense. They are just under 25 minutes from start to finish for each but will kick your butt in that amount of time.
  • iowagirl09
    Options
    I am currently doing the 30DS. I'm, finally, on level 3. I love it. It's been a great addition to my daily workout and a way to mix up what I was doing. From my experience I haven't lost much weight from it, about 5 pounds, but I have lost a lot of inches. For me that's more what I was going for anyways. I'm going to be honest, she will kick your butt, but if you're as stubborn as I am I won't let Jillian win and not do it one day "just cause".

You don't need a lot of room. If you have room for a jumping jack, a push-up, or a lunge you have more than enough room.

She uses weights for the strength building parts of the dvd. If you don't want to buy weights, use a full shampoo bottle or water bottle or even a can from your pantry! 3lbs seem to be a good starting place for most people that I've talked to, I'd agree!!, but, you could even do it the first day with out and see how heavy of weights you think you could handle.

There are standing exercises and floor exercises.

All (or almost all) moves have a modified version, and for a few versions come in really handy! And some you can probably modify further if you have an extreme injury.

It is super easy to follow! She goes over form with you for each move. And reminds you what to do and what not to do. It does not get boring and monotonous because you only do two sets of each item and then you move on. No move is repeated from level to level, except a few are increased in intensity as you move up.

For me, Jillian is motivating, especially the first three days of each level. Usually by day 8 I mute her and put on my music and just follow along, but that's just cause I don't like the background music she's got and by the end I usually want to hurt Jillian for being so darn perky when I just want to die.

I basically set a goal for myself at the beginning of the month that I would do the 30DS all 30 days with no breaks. It was more of a challenge to myself than anything else. I have 7 days left and I'm so excited to be able to say that I did it. I don't know what your overall goals, are so I can't say what would work best for you, but I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my experience.
  • MyFatPublicSecrets
    MyFatPublicSecrets Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My results are here.... I did it mostly with beginner moves- theres more info if you scroll down on what exactly I did.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/221739-30-day-shred-half-way-64lbs

Anyway, -10 pounds, -6 inches in waist, -3 inches in hips!... IN 30 DAYS!!!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm midway through level 1, and I really like it. It kicked my butt and I was so sore at the start so I went back to my regular gym routine. And guess what, my gym routine felt easier than usual!! So I've been mixing it up with the 30DS and my usual workouts. I like that I can do it quickly at home (did it once first thing in the morning before bfast) and I know I'm working hard b/c I'm sweating and I'm always sore the next day.

You don't need much space at all. My TV room is kind of crowded but I can totally do the whole workout in a 4x6ft space (and stick out a little through the doorway)

If you want to check it out, part of level 1 is posted on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WSPkxYX2Xc
  • grneyety
    grneyety Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I only have a couple of days left and it has surprised me how much stronger I am from when I started. I will say that I have not lot much weight but there are definite changes in definition and I have lost some inches. I started with 5 lb weights which was really hard but now I'm doing jumping jack with weights. I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to charge up their workout without spending hundreds of dollars on some of the other series.
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Had to laugh out loud on your comment about her "perkiness' ! Great, great advice and opinions from everyone who replied. THANK YOU everyone!
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    PS. You've convinced me everyone! What do I have to lose but lbs and inches right? Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your experiences and opinions. I appreciate it :)