Is it normal to lose 2 or 3 pounds, then gain one or two, et

Options
It seems I take 3 steps forward, then 1 or 2 back, then 3 steps forward, etc. Is it normal to fluctuate like that? I assume since the general trend is overall losing 5 pounds in 5 weeks, it's OK. I just wonder if I'm not keeping good enough track of portion size, or that is just normal. I weigh in every day.

Replies

• courtneycuth
    Options
    From what I have read our bodies can vary up to two pounds during the course of one day, so many people do not weigh in every day but rather once or twice a week. It could just be your body's variation over the day, and some believe it is important to weigh in at the same time every day. It seems like I go down some, then up just a little, so I would say your fluctuations are probably normal.
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time, and I've lost 22 pounds since January, so I think it's totally normal. I only "officially" weigh in once a week or I'd worry too much.
  • humbug12
    humbug12 Posts: 18
    Options
    Speaking from past experience about my own loss/gain, when I weighed myslef everyday, I would go up and down often, which was frustating. But since i started weighing myself once a week, it's been a slow and steady drop. Are you weighng yourself everyday?
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yep, that happens to me too... I'm up and down each week... but the "down" is always lower each time. :-) Don't worry about it, but do take note of your sodium intake to make sure you aren't over in that area.
  • Diana061
    Diana061 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Same here i weigh once a week now always on the same day, wearing similar clothes and on the same scale
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday, usually 3 times (I know, I have a problem!). Morning, after workout, and before bed. Usually when my weight changes like yours it is because of water weight. If you deprive your body of water for even one day and then drink more than usual the next you will keep that weight on. I have lost 2-3 pounds per week for about a month month now and I usally go through this in the middle of every week but make the weight up later in the week. I would say just drink 8 glasses of water a day and everything else should take care of itself.

Good luck!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    weigh in once a week, first thing in the morning, naked, after using the bathroom. of course it's normal to fluctuate. food and drink isn't weightless. that's why you shouldn't weigh in more than once a week unless you can handle seeing fluctuations.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning to keep myself accountable. I know it will fluctuate, so I don't get bummed if it is up from the day the before as long as the general trend is lower. I tend to loose 2 or 3, the go back up 1.5 then down .5 and then down 1.5 etc. Overall it heads down for a loss of a little more than 2 pounds per week. It's normal, which is why most people don't suggest weighing more than once a week. If the little fluctuations are frustrating to you I wouldn't weigh daily. I expect it, and while I always like it more the days it goes down, I know I am going in the right direction so it doesn't bother me. Even when it's up from the day before it's still a lot less than when I started.