What was the very first week like for you??

Options
This is my first full week (tomorrow morning is my weigh in day).

Ive never done anything like this before, (never tried, never done a fad diet, just never bothered with anything) but Ive never been so motivated to succeed for some reason. (it's like I woke up and a light switch went off)... I have a lot of weight to lose, it will be a long and slow journey - I know this.

Everyday this week I have done some form of exercise without fail and ate better, changed my diet etc.
(Im pretty well versed in proper nutrition for various reasons but never followed it)

What was the first week like for you? I had no idea what to expect. I expected to want to quit, I expected to be so hungry and sore from exercise but Im none of these things (a little sore at times yes but not keeling over sore that I want to quit) ... so now I wonder if Im doing "enough" because Im excited to weigh in tomorrow and see some results and I cant wait for next week to try to push myself more ....

What was your experience like??

Replies

• missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I felt kind of hungry the first week. But, I stuck with it and when I saw those numbers on the scale get lower, I knew it was all worth it. I have zero interest in giving up or giving in to my old habits. I will do this! And, you can too!

M
  • greyhoundluv
    Options
    Congratulations on the great start!!
    My first week was difficult--I was hungry a lot, almost felt like I was going through withdrawal (which I kind of was--withdrawing from using food as a "drug"!!). But it has gotten a lot easier, and now I love my routine of several small meals, snacks and great workouts! Oh, and the weight loss has been wonderful too. Mine is slow and fairly steady, but I feel good!
    Good luck for your weigh in tomorrow!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I was really disordered my first week.
    Completely afraid of food.
    Then I slowly learned it's your tool.
    Not your weakness.

Good luck. :)
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I lost five lbs the 1st week so that got me motivated to keep going. I really wasn't as hungry as I thought I would be. We have a treadmill that I never really used but I was on it and huffing and puffing and spit was flying and I was glad my wife was at work. lol

Today is the start of my 5th week and I have been doing very good with my calories and exercise and am seeing progress. I still have a long way to go too. But the treadmill is getting easier and I went from barely being able to do a quarter mile at 4mph to a half mile at 5mph 2x in one "session" last week. Yeah..that's no marathon but that's the furthest I have jogged since high school (and I'm 41)!

Good luck! It's a long road but seeing the improvements from week to week is a lot of "fun".
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think my first week was a lot like yours, the light switch and all. I would say that if you are doing more exercise and healthy eating but not sore or hungry, then you are doing exactly what you need to. So many people do too much too fast and give up because they are too sore or too hungry and they can't deal with it. Now just start adding a little at a time, not too much, and you will get there. Remember, we are the tortoise, not the hare in our journey! Welcome and keep up the good work! Feel free to "friend" me, I would love to know how the weigh in goes tomorrow!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I think I had a first week similar to yours. It was easier in many ways than I expected it to be. I set my calorie goal to 1 pound per week loss, and then manually gave myself a few extra calories so that I had a 0.8-0.9 pound deficit. I think that made it easier on me, since I find it quite manageable to be full on 1430 calories/day!

I think it's an awesome thing that you don't want to quit and that you're not feeling burnt out! It doesn't mean you're "not doing enough" at all. I think it might mean that you could be serious about making some lifestyle changes!! Go you!!!

I have to say that I have had some really hard points but every time I have bounced back and faithfully kept logging. Like you, I'd never really tried to lose weight before, but I honestly think this is such a great system. It's just everything in moderation! :)

Keep it up, especially the exercise, and in no time you're going to be a happier, fitter you!
  • dncngqnnyc
    dncngqnnyc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started on last Sunday as well and my one week weigh in will be tomorrow. For my success, I know that I have to step on the scale every morning. Up until this morning it has been 3 lbs, but i have been sick the last few days and unable to even reach my calories on those days.

Exercise the last 2 days was impossible, because standing was an effort without feeling dizzy.

I am hoping to have a good night sleep and find my weight is even lower tomorrow.

I like having to be accountable for everything that I eat and it really has made a difference of what I will put in my mouth.

I am hoping to lose 10lb by June 9th, and then to continue on to the next 10.

Good Luck everybody!

Robin:smile: