Here I am :)

sdunn8100
sdunn8100 Posts: 1
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
Hello out there...my name is Shannon. I am new to this site. Like many others I'm trying this with a little skepticism. Not for doubt in the program but for fear that I will not stick with it. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time and I look forward to being more healthy for my daughter and of course myself. I seem to always get to "comfortable" in my own skin. There has always been something funny about that saying. Why is it that we are told to be more comfortable in our own skin, go with what you know, be WHO YOU ARE. Well, let me tell you....I am a fat girl. Always have been and hopefully won't always be but what I'm trying to say is tell me someone that IS comfortable with being fat or obese in most cases. Except for maybe a group of overweight comedians andor actors that make enough money that what does it matter. Anyway, I'm not trying to sound like a Debbie-downer I'm just trying to say exactly what I am thinking/feeling. Of course the point here is to be compelled to finish and be healthier. Be able to do more activities with my daughter and ultimately feel better about myself. I'm hoping that the inspiration and success stories on this site with drive me to finally take the leap into "skinny-land" :)

Always Hopeful,
Shannon

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Welcome Shannon!

In some way, I think most of us are a little *too* comfortable when we are obese - it is easier to keep doing what got us there than to change our habits. It is hard to get out of our comfort zone, try new ways of eating and new ways of moving our bodies.

Beyond that, you would be surprised how much confidence and sex appeal some people can have even with a couple dozen extra pounds on them -those people will rock this world no matter what they do!

As for wanting to be healthier (rather than thinner, per se), you need to accept that there is no "finish." Being healthier is a lifestyle, not something you do just until you meet your goal. If you want to keep up with your daughter, you need to keep exercising; if you want to do right by her, you need to model healthy eating.

Best of luck! I do hope you put your skepticism aside and find a new life for yourself!
  • SamiCami
    SamiCami Posts: 3 Member
    Hi Shannon;
    Your situation sounds very similar to mine---I am just here too trying to get into the habit of eating better --making better choices with food and yes that too --developing "sticktoitiveness" since it seems like I always get distracted with something more demanding of my time. However in trying to develop a healthier lifestyle, I figured I should atleast be able to watch what I am eating and as I look around on this website, I see that they are really alot of supportive folks on here and that is what keeps me logging in daily since joining a couple weeks ago. So really give it a try ---you might just surprise yourself!!!
This discussion has been closed.