What the Biggest Losers Eat...

Options
Found this on the MSN Health and Fitness website...Interesting!

The Biggest Loser Diet meal plan calls for three-meals and two-snacks per day. It breaks down to 45% complex carbohydrates, 30% lean protein, and 25% fats. Here's what one sample day might look like on the Biggest Loser Diet meal plan:

BREAKFAST

1 cup berries on top of ½ packet cooked plain oatmeal (about 1/3 cup depending on how much water you put in), sprinkled with 1 Tbsp slivered almonds or walnuts

AND

1 cup liquid egg whites (Egg Beaters) whipped and scrambled with 2 cups chopped veggies (peppers, mushrooms, onions, tomato, spinach)

LUNCH

2 cups garden salad consisting of the following: 1 1/2 cups field greens topped with 1/4 cup red bell pepper, 1/4 cup red onion, 1/2 cup pear wedges, 3 oz. (size of a deck of cards) grilled chicken breast, and 1 Tbsp sunflower or pumpkin seeds (dressed with balsamic vinegar)

AND

1 small whole grain dinner roll

DINNER

2 oz. grilled salmon

2 cups grilled vegetables, lightly misted with olive oil (eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, asparagus, artichokes) and sprinkled with herbs such as oregano, parsley

1/3 cup wild rice

1 cup grapes for dessert

SNACK 1

1 cup grape tomatoes

2 slices rolled up deli turkey

5 large olives

SNACK 2

Combine the following:

½ cup pineapple chunks

1/4 cup nonfat ricotta

1 tsp walnuts

How many calories do you think this is??

Replies

• NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Found this on the MSN Health and Fitness website...Interesting!

The Biggest Loser Diet meal plan calls for three-meals and two-snacks per day. It breaks down to 45% complex carbohydrates, 30% lean protein, and 25% fats. Here's what one sample day might look like on the Biggest Loser Diet meal plan:

BREAKFAST

1 cup berries on top of ½ packet cooked plain oatmeal (about 1/3 cup depending on how much water you put in), sprinkled with 1 Tbsp slivered almonds or walnuts

AND

1 cup liquid egg whites (Egg Beaters) whipped and scrambled with 2 cups chopped veggies (peppers, mushrooms, onions, tomato, spinach)

LUNCH

2 cups garden salad consisting of the following: 1 1/2 cups field greens topped with 1/4 cup red bell pepper, 1/4 cup red onion, 1/2 cup pear wedges, 3 oz. (size of a deck of cards) grilled chicken breast, and 1 Tbsp sunflower or pumpkin seeds (dressed with balsamic vinegar)

AND

1 small whole grain dinner roll

DINNER

2 oz. grilled salmon

2 cups grilled vegetables, lightly misted with olive oil (eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, asparagus, artichokes) and sprinkled with herbs such as oregano, parsley

1/3 cup wild rice

1 cup grapes for dessert

SNACK 1

1 cup grape tomatoes

2 slices rolled up deli turkey

5 large olives

SNACK 2

Combine the following:

½ cup pineapple chunks

1/4 cup nonfat ricotta

1 tsp walnuts

How many calories do you think this is??
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Dont know about the calories but it sounds pretty reasonable!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    With as much as it seems they are working out.... I don't know if that would be enough to support a healthy weight loss...but that is just my opinion.
  • teacheratkins24
    teacheratkins24 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    :tongue: I agree with Bunny...it seems like they are working out constantly and eating not even enough to keep a fly alive. :noway: Seriously though, it seems like they are eating too little to maintain a healthy weight loss...but my opinion is my own and I know I don't know everything. :wink:
  • monica5237
    Options
    on this show they are NOT doing a healthy weight loss they have only a limited amount of time to lose the weight so it is a crash course and I am sure most of them gain it back
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I guess the thing that kills me...
    My mother watches this show religiously and my mom has struggled with her weight for as long as I've been a live, if not before that. My mom has lost weight, healthy that past year or so, but she still beats herself up after she watches this show. I mean, she's said to me before, "I should sign you and Jared (my brother) up for this show." What? I KNOW that's not a game I want to play....and I am not one to project issues onto. So, I didn't take it well.

I tried to get my family to use MFP and stuff, but they weren't disiplined at all. So they wen't to WW. They are all about NOW-NOW-NOW. I have learned the hard way that getting the result NOW...can lead to devestating issues later.

It's good that people are becoming aware.... but I wonder if it's the right way. It's a reality show, there is tons left out, but the viewer doesn't see that. It shows rapid results. Which makes me edgy. Does that make sense? A part of me is like..."Yay!" and another part of me is like... "Hisss!"

Sorry, totally hijacked there for a second. :flowerforyou:
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It may not seem like a lot...and sort of a crash diet..but that's also based on their weight going in...if they lose a lot of weight...then the meal plan is more in line with a lower weight. I watch a lot of the "where are they now" segments on the show...and most have all continued to lose weight even after leaving the show. It appears as if, while a crash course in diet and exercise, it seems to be working in that they stay on, or close to it. Many lose a fair amount after they have lost on the show....so they habits are taking - and that's a good thing!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Maybe it's the education part we are missing that makes it seem so extreme.
    Then again, most everyone else who watches it is missing that too.
    So, they still get the whole, "It should be easy, " mantality (in my opinion).

I am hoping that there is a lot of behind the scenes education going on that we don't see, due to lack of entertainment value, etc.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    i mean, it's just not healthy for someone to lose 8lbs in a week.

I like the show, but no one really realizes how unhealthy it is. I mean, I could probably lose 8lbs in a week if i wanted to, but it would NOT be healthy and would probably result in some strange convaluded addiction.

Basically, they have a lot of weight to lose, and in a small time frame. So they need to pull those big numbers in order for the show to make money and it be worth watching...I just hope they realize that when they get home, working off 4000 calories and eating less than 2000 isn't feasible.
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It may not seem like a lot...and sort of a crash diet..but that's also based on their weight going in...if they lose a lot of weight...then the meal plan is more in line with a lower weight. I watch a lot of the "where are they now" segments on the show...and most have all continued to lose weight even after leaving the show. It appears as if, while a crash course in diet and exercise, it seems to be working in that they stay on, or close to it. Many lose a fair amount after they have lost on the show....so they habits are taking - and that's a good thing!
    I understand what everyone is saying, and I agree it is a "crash" diet, but it is also a game and aTV show with a $250,000 prize at the end. I, however, LOVE the show and watch it every Tuesday night. My belief is that if it gives the people the nudge in the right direction, much of the details we never see, but they contestants are taught "how" to exercise, taught nutritional facts, wear HRM and calories counters, log in all their exercise and food comsumption on a web site (much like we do)... The difference they are doing it at a much faster, harder, and "crash" pace. They are also under constant physicians care. If we could all afford to go live on a ranch 24/7, where we were taught to prepare food correctly (healthy wise) or had our food prepared for us daily and our only mission in life day after day was eating correctly and exercising as much as possible - then we'd all see the results that the contestants do, it's just NOT our reality. The most important part of the program is that viewers see it CAN be done, I hope most people are smart enough to know they are not going to be given personal trainers, chefs and an open 24/7 exercise opportunity, however like johnlynn said, it is the life lessons learned that these particular people obviously weren't getting before the show. You have to eat less and move more, you have to be accountable for what you put in your mouth and how you take care of your body -- when they contestants go home I am sure their bodies have to readjust to normal life, they have jobs, families, etc. but they have also seen the results of their new "education" and seen their hard work pay off. I wish them all the best!!!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I guess the thing that kills me...
    My mother watches this show religiously and my mom has struggled with her weight for as long as I've been a live, if not before that. My mom has lost weight, healthy that past year or so, but she still beats herself up after she watches this show. I mean, she's said to me before, "I should sign you and Jared (my brother) up for this show." What? I KNOW that's not a game I want to play....and I am not one to project issues onto. So, I didn't take it well.

I tried to get my family to use MFP and stuff, but they weren't disiplined at all. So they wen't to WW. They are all about NOW-NOW-NOW. I have learned the hard way that getting the result NOW...can lead to devestating issues later.

It's good that people are becoming aware.... but I wonder if it's the right way. It's a reality show, there is tons left out, but the viewer doesn't see that. It shows rapid results. Which makes me edgy. Does that make sense? A part of me is like..."Yay!" and another part of me is like... "Hisss!"

Sorry, totally hijacked there for a second. :flowerforyou:

im with you... my mom watches it too and she thinks that its the way im suppose to loose my weight. so when i get excited about 1 pound lost that week. shell say .. huh ? thats it ? that hurts me and frustrates me so i dont tell her much about what im doing now.. shell see when i get home in february..!!

i have my take too on how is set people expetation up when they see the show. i knew that there is some people that dont know any better and think that its the way it should be .. to losse 8lbs a week..
  • Kimlane70
    Options
    I like the show too and watch it every week. I don't think it's a problem to lose weight fast when you've got alot to lose. The weight loss will slow down as a person gets thinner. They are losing weight the way your supposed to, with diet and exercise. The difference is that's ALL they have to focuse on. No job to go to, no family to take care of, no bills to worry about, no computer, no phone calls, nothing. So of course they lose the weight fast. I'm making it my top priority to lose this weight I've got....other than my family of course. Plus they have the trainers and nutritonist to make sure they aren't starving themselves.......I think it's great.