Sodium overload

Options
jdm0804
jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
Greetings to all my fitness pals (see what I did there?),

I've been doing pretty well at keeping my calories below the limit, but I'm passing the Sodium threshold by like 500-1000mg everyday! I think the problem is that I eat a lot of cheese and meat, which seem to have a lot in them. The issue there is that I really like meat and cheese. Occasionally at the same time!

Do y'all have any suggestions on ways to get around this in a somewhat budget friendly way? I've got that whole broke college student thing happening.

Thanks!

Replies

• kelly6485
    kelly6485 Posts: 78
    Options
    lol you are funny...
    meat and cheese are most expensive than other foods are, silly
    I don't know what to tell you other than, trying to cut some of it out, or make sure to drink a lot of water, you will still lose weight, you will just retain water =)
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Potassium supposedly helps with sodium/water weight
  • wildkiger
    wildkiger Posts: 25
    Options
    Drink more water...or make sure you're at least drinking the recommended 8 cups a day.

As far as cutting out sodium, check the labels on what you buy. Start cooking meats at home instead of buying prepackaged/frozen/etc. You can control how much salt goes into it that way. Check your cheeses, too! Some brands have less sodium. I know cottage cheese has a ton more sodium than yogurt, so if that's applicable it could be a start.

Good luck. Sodium is definitely something to watch.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Potassium supposedly helps with sodium/water weight

OH my goodness, is that a corgi??
  • jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is true. My parents give me tons of meat when I visit them, though. The cheese I mostly just put on sandwiches. But still, I love it!

I think that cutting that down will be the hardest part of changing my lifestyle. Harder than exercising regularly, even!

Thanks for the encouragement!
  • emchen
    emchen Posts: 48
    Options
    Also a broke college student here.

Lots of salad. Lots of canned things (beans, veggies, fruit) that say reduced sodium or low sodium. It can get kind of boring after awhile, but there's lots of different ways you can mix things up.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I go over sometimes, sometimes I don't. Deli meats are rough... but cheap eatin, you know?? And an easy lunch to pack for work. I've been trying to perfect the art. Today I made a 240 calorie sandwich for lunch with 873 mg of sodium.

Two slices of Pepperidge 40 cal/piece super thin bread: 80 cal
    one wedge of laughing cow, light cheese spread over the bread : 35 cal
    5 slices of reduced sodium honey ham by HIllshire Farm: 80 cal
    1/2 TBS regular mayo : 45 cal

So if you aren't a mayo kinda gal, or you're happy with light mayo, you can reduce it further. i was happy to find this combination of goods today and will be making it a common lunch in the future...
  • mjaef
    mjaef Posts: 4
    Options
    I too have a problem with high sodium. I LOVE cheese and don't really think there is a way around the sodium but as far as the meat goes, you could make your own lunch meat by buying, for example, a couple chicken or turkey breasts cook them up and slice them or use left overs from the week. Definitely make sure you drink a lot of water try to stay away from pre-packaged foods as much as possible. I also read that eating foods high in potassium can help counteract the effects. Hope that helps :)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have a sodium issue as well. I have started getting the deli meat that is lower in sodium. Lowes Foods has their deli brand in low sodium that is half the amount of the regular deli meat. I'm going to cut out my lean cuisines and other frozen meals when I get paid next week. I'm going to buy some chicken breasts, fish fillets, some cheap steaks cuts, and frozen veggies and cook my food up for 3 days ahead so to cover my work days.