Shock your body

Options
I haven't lost in 2-3 weeks and a few people have told me to shock my body by eating more calories and not doing as much exercise. It confuses the body I guess. I eat 1,270 a day [BEFORE EXERCISE CALORIES] & i was thinking about eating 1,700 and maybe just a little exercise. has anyone used this as a way to get over a plateau

Replies

• skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yep Ive done it twice. Always worked for me.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't go as drastic. Your body may only need a couple hundred calories difference. Why don't you try zigzagging calories? For example try different each day. 1200 then 1500 then 1300 then 1600 then 1400 etc always just a few hundred calories difference base line before exercise and then go from there. I have seen it work for many of my friends to help them move through plateaus. Good luck!
  • Adudynski
    Adudynski Posts: 31
    Options
    how does this work? i eat like 1300-1400 net calories after working out.. I usually burn 300-400 cals a day how would I alter it?
  • aferbet
    aferbet Posts: 124
    Options
    Do you only eat the extra calories for one day or for multiple days in a row?
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    If I go more than a week with out losing, I do this for one day. The next day I've gained a little and the day after I've lost a pound. Works every time for me... unless it the dreaded TOM. Good luck!
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    Do you only eat the extra calories for one day or for multiple days in a row?

Multiple days in a row. I work out every day
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I left my calories the same and watched my carbs...first week I kept it around 50 net carbs, then after that I try to keep net carbs around 100
  • katie9730
    katie9730 Posts: 24
    Options
    Maybe you're not eating enough calories. 1200 is supposed to be the lowest amount of calories a woman should consume daily. Your body could be in starvation mode and that could be the reason you're not losing weight. Go for raising the calories. I'm doing 1500 a day and although I just started, I've lost 3 pounds this week.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've never done this, nor have I really done much research on it, but I've heard that it does work, so I may try it also, because I stopped losing a few weeks ago as well.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    what i do is stick to my calorie limit (always eating my exercise calories unless i truly don't feel hungry), and then once in a while i will allow myself to go to maintenance calories. my boyfriend brought food back from his mom's, so that day may be today!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    There's a few things you can try:

A) try eating different calories each day for a week - one day eat high, one day eat in the middle and one day eat low.

B) Drink MORE water. Not sure how much you're drinking now, but add another 8oz glass to your daily intake.

C) Take a week off from the gym. Giving your body a complete week off will often jumpstart weight loss again.

I would also look at your carbs vs fat vs protein. See if your carbs are too high and protein too low - then switch them up. Also, how much sugar you're eating.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've done it and it works! I gave myself a day off and then stuck with my 1200 for a couple of days and lost 1.5 pounds.
  • mayree1979
    mayree1979 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 calories for the last month and only lost 3 lbs . My Health Advisor told me I was not eating enough and my body was NOT going to let go of any fat until I started feeding it. I am now eating 1309 plus any excerise calories i happened to earn....we will see what happens
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    If i zig zag my calories like this:

Monday: 1200
    Tuesday: 1400
    Wednesday: 1600
    Thursday: 1300
    Friday: 1200
    Saturday: 1500
    Sunday: 1300

Should my intake be the number, or my net?
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with my calories too. I started out at 1200 calories and lost approximately 18 lbs, but that was before I started exercising. Now, I'm up to exercising 5-6 times a week for at least an hour, but stopped losing weight. About 5 days ago, I upped my calorie goal to 1700 but have had difficulty getting past 1400 calories....but I have lost about 1 1/2 lbs. I've been trying to make sure my net calories are at least 1200, but am aiming for 1500-1600.
    I've heard people talk about zig zagging their calories...1000-1200 for 2 days then back up to 1600+ on the third...
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    eating back your exercise cals is not hard at all if you spread them out throughout the day, and those numbers should be net not just what you eat for the day. At 1200 or less a day you are going to have a super hard time feeding the body what it needs for proper nutrition I do not care how small you are, if you want to feed the muscles to burn off the fat you need to eat properly for that. i have helped a lot of ppl on here realize that and I hate to see ppl hurting their fat loss by starving their bodies.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Bump to my topics.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    yes I did this and lost 4 lbs immediately.