9 weeks to my next 5K

Options
Hello! I just started here. I have lost weight before but have lost my desire. I know I have to do it, but think I have been looking at doing it for the wrong reasons. I have figured out that I am the one I need to do this for. I want to be happy again. A couple of years ago I was doing great, running, counting my calories, liking myself. Then I ended up needing foot surgery and I lost my focus, I will admit I still am not sure if I have it back yet, but I have a goal! I miss running, it made me feel awesome. So I am signing up for a 5K race in July and tomorrow starts my first work out. I miss the races, the fun in them, the people that cheer you on just because you are there and the other racers who encourage you along the way. I have no one to blame but myself for getting me in the position I am in, and I will/have to be the person to get me back into my running shoes. No more excuses! :bigsmile:

Replies

• coraspiece
    coraspiece Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will be doing my first 5k next Sunday. I'm doing it through a learn to run clinic at the Running Room here where I live, My friend strongly encouraged me to join and she is one of the instructors for this class. I'm really excited about this race but very scared too.

4207473.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    How about instead of calling it your next 5K, we call it "the first 5K of the rest of your life"?

You know what running can do for you. Now go DO it!!! I look forward to your result :)
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am still working on the couch to 5k program (week 7 complete)...I complete a little over 2 miles in 35 minutes

Monday starts week 8...2 weeks left of the treadmill program, then I start running outside (little nervous about this part)...but I WILL DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck...hope to see a post in July from you about how easy the race was!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K April 9th and it was AWESOME! So exciting and encouraging to see the other runners all around you and to actually cross that finish line. I have 1 5K/month lined up for this spring/summer and then in the fall I'm going to start training for the Turkey Trot 10K in November! I'm STOKED about running and look forward to all my new adventures that are ahead.

Good luck on your training and on your 5K. You'll do great!!
  • mpj485
    mpj485 Posts: 15
    Options
    The best way to gain that desire you had formerly is to do something you have loved formerly. It sounds to me like running for you is that thing, you talked about it like it made you feel really great. Go for it!! I am considering running my very first 5k, haven't registered for it yet but picked the race and found a training schedule. I am not a runner and have never had much desire to do it before but I am trying new things with this new weight loss journey. I always say that I'm great at losing weight but lousy at keeping it off, I am determined to win that battle!! New fight, new me! I hope you find the motivation you need!