Being the skinny one

Options
Most of my family is overweight. On my stepmother's side...pretty much everyone (other than my step sister) is overweight including my half brother. However, on both of my biological parent's side...weight isn't an issue..................BUT in my immediate family it seems EVERYONE is heavy but my father. You know how Dad's can be...pretty shut mouth. So.....................I'm the freakishly thin one...................to them anyway. It has nothing to do with the fact that I watch everything I eat or exercise constantly.....I must just starve myself. Mind you, no one says that to me, but that's how I feel when they say...Wow...you're looking really thin. Or when they comment about how I watch what I eat. I'm just a little nervous, because I will be in a position soon where I will have to wear a bathing suit and hear about how thin I am and not to lose anymore weight. I intend on losing a few more pounds. Any advice on dealing with this type of situation?

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    First of all, I don't think you look freakishly skinny...a lot of their comments probably stem from their own insecurity about their weight, even if they say they're perfectly fine with their weight.

Maybe instead of focusing on losing a few more pounds, focus a little more on muscle tone. You may actually gain a little weight from that, but if you have clearly defined, lean muscle, then maybe when they look at you, they won't say "eww, you're getting so skinny" but "wow, look at those tight muscles!".

And if that's not something you want to do, then be proud of who you are just like you are and if they're not happy with it, that's their problem. What matters is that you are healthy and happy with yourself.
  • embym
    embym Posts: 65
    Options
    I was like this too, but then I got my mom on MFP and she's lost 17 lbs already and she's really glad I got her into it. Also, instead of saying that you're on a diet or trying to lose weight, say that you're trying to get in shape or eat healthy. Phrasing things differently can be a huge help.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    First of all, I don't think you look freakishly skinny...a lot of their comments probably stem from their own insecurity about their weight, even if they say they're perfectly fine with their weight.

Maybe instead of focusing on losing a few more pounds, focus a little more on muscle tone. You may actually gain a little weight from that, but if you have clearly defined, lean muscle, then maybe when they look at you, they won't say "eww, you're getting so skinny" but "wow, look at those tight muscles!".

And if that's not something you want to do, then be proud of who you are just like you are and if they're not happy with it, that's their problem. What matters is that you are healthy and happy with yourself.

Oh no!! I'm all about the muscle!! The few pounds I want to lose are BODY FAT!! I want more muscle! I have more muscle tone than my profile pic shows. Thanks for saying I'm not too skinny.............it makes me feel good!! I know I need to increase my weight lifting and stuff like that........but they know nothing of this. You're right though..............who can argue with big muscles? .......................................then I'll be too manly.....lol
  • geminicfl
    Options
    Being skinny can be just as damaging to one's self-esteem as being overweight. Society may be more accepting of skinny people, but what matters most is how you feel about yourself. Being skinny can be especially tough if you're a guy, too. Regardless, it's important to know that there are people out there who struggle just as much with their weight as you do. The key to losing or gaining weight is encouragement. This site is especially helpful as it provides a medium to connect with other people for support. Good luck reaching your goals. :smile: