Are your friends supportive?

Options
Are your friends/facebook friends/MFP friends supportive of your achievements or progress?

I have support from my husband, my parents and a few close friends. I also get fantastic support from my MFP friends :heart: But that is about it, I used to have MFP linked to my facebook but after too many nasty comments I unlinked it (and culled a few friends).

Replies

• t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone give nasty comments?? I don't mean to pry, I just don't understand what they would say. It's a great thing! Thankfully, I haven't experienced that. There aren't too many people I've told of my weight loss goals, but the people who do know are extremely supportive. MFP is by far the greatest, though. Nothing matches all my MFP pals and their never-ending optimism and support.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I rarely post on FB anymore! MFP has become my new FB and then some! :) The support and motivation you get from complete strangers is unbelieable! (wish I could say the same from my FB 'friends'. :P
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My MFP friends and my family are very supportive. I don't link to facebook for the simple reason that I don't want everyone knowing about my insecurities and reading my blogs. In a way i guess it would be like showng my work colleagues my underwear! Too much information.

MFP is my sanctuary from the world, a place where I can let it all out and focus on getting healthy. I guess for me it's two seperate groups of friends (except my sister and 2 friends) and I'm more comfortable with it that way.
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    My friends are AMAZING, they are supportive and really are helping me along. May family are supportive and encouraging and my big bro helps me train all the time. MFP friends are very supportive which is awesome but we all have a common goal whihc is AWESOME, there is no judgement just support.

Good luck with your journey and those who don't support you leave out...you can't afford to have non supportive people surrounding you when you are trying to achieve so much wether they are real or virtual.

:flowerforyou:
  • silkystarfish
    Options
    not really, sadly.
    my mum isnt at all.
    my friends dont really understand, but accept my choices, which is nice they dont get all funny when i dont eat the cake they made me, or well the vodka they bring over.
    my husband is, but very stand-off as I bite LOL he cant say too much LOL ha ha ha
    I wish i was in a group real life,
    my online friends are AWESOME!!!
  • RachelHancock
    Options
    My MFP friends and my family are very supportive. I don't link to facebook for the simple reason that I don't want everyone knowing about my insecurities and reading my blogs. In a way i guess it would be like showng my work colleagues my underwear! Too much information.

MFP is my sanctuary from the world, a place where I can let it all out and focus on getting healthy. I guess for me it's two seperate groups of friends (except my sister and 2 friends) and I'm more comfortable with it that way.

Absolutely! I'd be mortified if half the people on my facebook saw the stuff I put on here.

Weight is such an emotive issue for me. I have to protect myself, if I fail here I can pick myself up again, fail on facebook and you get a reputation for it!

Luckily I have the best boyfriend in the entire world and he keeps me motivated, although I get very few compliments from people I see (including family) despite the obvious difference!
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    Thankfully, yes, my friends here and on facebook and in real life are very supportive of me. I try to be positive and cheerful about my new Diabetic meal planning. And they do good to treat me normal and not make me feel like a burden.
  • LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    Options
    Why would anyone give nasty comments?? I don't mean to pry, I just don't understand what they would say. It's a great thing! Thankfully, I haven't experienced that. There aren't too many people I've told of my weight loss goals, but the people who do know are extremely supportive. MFP is by far the greatest, though. Nothing matches all my MFP pals and their never-ending optimism and support.

For example someone posted on my fb asking how i lost weight etc and i posted a reply telling her my daily routine. A friend commented and told me that she doubted i did all that in one day.

Then the same friend commented today on my MFP exercise post telling me i was full of it and couldnt possibly gone for a 2 hour bike ride before 8am.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I keep very few FB friends and the ones I do have already know about my journey. Having said that, I don't link my FB page either. I kind of like the fact that the people I chat with on here don't know me personally. I'm too embarrased to talk to some of my friends about my struggles with weight.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I rarely post on FB anymore! MFP has become my new FB and then some! :) The support and motivation you get from complete strangers is unbelieable! (wish I could say the same from my FB 'friends'. :P
    Exactly!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Then the same friend commented today on my MFP exercise post telling me i was full of it and couldnt possibly gone for a 2 hour bike ride before 8am.

Doesn't sound like much of a friend to me ......
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    The only support and motivation i get is on here. My other half keeps bringing me bacon sandwiches silly sod. Dont think he gets it!!! See the rolling eyes when i'm in the supermarket checking the calorie content:laugh: :angry:

My MFP buddies are the best xxxx
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Everyone is supportive! My husband actually pushes me and pries. And I'm like, leave me alone! lol.
    I'm sure, if they knew that I'm kind of hoping to lose 100lbs that they would give me that look haha. But they know I'm trying to get healthy and they are all very proud and supportive.
    don't understand why anyone would be mean?? if you're trying to get healthier, what's the problem?
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    everyone is kind of supportive- but i've told everyone about my fitness ambition, not weight loss.
    i don't tell people that i've lost weight- i get the odd comment that i'm looking like i'm losing it, and i just nonchalantly smile and say thanks. but people know about my fitness goals. everyone knows that i can now run for 30 mins non stop- they knew when i could run 5! and people know that i've already got my ticket for the auckland half marathon in oct. i like that people know this- it makes it more difficult for me to back out- a broken limb is the only thing that will stop me because i'd just be embarrassed now to pull out without a very good reason.
    my hubby is great- he gives me an hour a day to go out and run. this is huge considering he is the stay at home parent to 3 kids under 5, and i'm a shift worker. so i'll run (while he feeds the kids), then come home, shower and go to work. he doesn't actively push me, unless i've not gone for a few days and he'll just subtly mention it. but he gives me the space and time to do it, which i'm so grateful for.
    but i talk about it more on here than anywhere else! it's not on FB that i'm doing this, and lots of my IRL mates haven't a clue. i like to keep it separate. i don't know why though.
    your friend that said those things sounds like she needs de-friending! she'll just be jealous because you're hot, and she probably looks like a bulldog licking pee off a nettle :-)
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

For example someone posted on my fb asking how i lost weight etc and i posted a reply telling her my daily routine. A friend commented and told me that she doubted i did all that in one day.

Sounds like you friend is either jealous or feeling insecure because your doing so well and that makes them feel bad about themselves. It's not fair for them to take it out on you though. I guess you either have to have a word with them about how their comments are not appreciated or learn to ignore it as the ramblings of a jealous person. Maybe you could reply that next time you go for a ride they're welcome to come with you!
  • LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    Options
    but i talk about it more on here than anywhere else! it's not on FB that i'm doing this, and lots of my IRL mates haven't a clue. i like to keep it separate. i don't know why though.
    your friend that said those things sounds like she needs de-friending! she'll just be jealous because you're hot, and she probably looks like a bulldog licking pee off a nettle :-)

Awww thanks. She has definitely been de-friended!

Genie- i agree! Unfortunately she doesn't live near me or I would definitely offer.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My MFP friends are awesome. We are all going through this together and each and everyone of my MFP motivates me to stay with the program.

I am not involved at all with Facebook.

My real life friends vary. Those who need MFP the most are not supportive. They feel that I have lost "too much weight," and they don't understand that this is about good health and fitness as well as looks. I am on maintenance now and will stay on a good fitness/ eating plan for the rest of my life. No going back to 85 pounds higher! No way/ no how!

I am toward the lower end of a healthy BMI. I want to stay at this healthy range and continue to maintain my current weight (134-136), and continue to tone and firm my body. What's wrong with that?

I would "de-friend" any virtual friends who do not support you and your goals. Great success to you!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My friends/coworkers really aren't helping very much. I think they got too used to the fat and funny me, and don't want me to change. :sad:
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hate the MFP Facebook updates. I don't do them, and it irritates me when other people do them. To me, they come off as "Compliment me!! Compliment me!" and I just don't work that way!

I don't talk much about my 'journey' with most people because I do it for me, not so that they'll tell me I look great or "good for you" or whatever.

But that's just me! I'm sort of an oddball!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have a few supportive friends, and my Mother In Law is very supportive, and my partner is my big support at the moment (we are losing weight together).

I don't link MFP to facebook beacuse i just don't need to let everyone know exactly what is going on.... It's quite a long and boring progress to anyone reading on the outside I presume.

i have pretty much full disclosure here, and i intend on posting before and after pics when i get to my goals in my underwear, which i don't want my facebook population to see the befores, they are ridiculously embarrassing. I occasionally put up a post on my weightloss milestones on facebook (i've done it at 10kg lost and 14kg lost) but i know not everyone wants to hear every single step of my journey. they will be over it. but as it is they say "well done" when i post an occasional milestone on my facebook.

Often times people are just jealous, and I don't need that, so I'll just chip away at my goals with the support I get here, and with the people who seem interested to ask about my progress, and that's that.