I realize now the reason I don't eat beef

Options
My husband asked if we could have steaks for dinner. I rarely ever eat beef and much prefer chicken. It's been a long time since we've had steaks, so I complied (with organic grass fed beef). The smallest boneless ribeye I could find was a pound! It appears to have very little fat, which is good, but still...a POUND! Granted, I'm not going to eat that whole thing, but even if I eat half (which is approximately the size of my palm, just thick cut), it's 600 CALORIES! I wanted to cry. I suppose this is a very good reason for me to continue not eating beef!

Replies

• Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i ae changed all my red meat to Quorn mince
    i still have pork medallions very occasionally - once in the last 3 weeks
    chicken is far preferred by me - and fewer calories :o)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's amazing what "passes" as a serving size these days, but that's no reason to cut it right out, I'd buy the pound of steak and cut it into 4 pieces, that's 4 4 oz servings or about 300 calories using your numbers, that's manageable, and it freezes well :)

Though same could be said for the trays of chicken and that, especially the family size trays, if you don't "want" it all at one meal well that's the point behind them buy bulk, be able to freeze the unused without yet another trip to the grocer. I've got lots of friends who if for some reason money came tight they'd be hard-pressed to feed themselves for very long because they don't have a freezer or canned (home or processed) foods.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Ribeye is one of the most fattiest cuts you can buy...one of the top 5 things that should never be in your refrigerator along with alfredo sauce
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? It's pretty easy to control portions if you weigh them.

And as was already mentioned, beef does not have to be high in fat. It depends on the cut.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ribeye is one of the most fattiest cuts you can buy...one of the top 5 things that should never be in your refrigerator along with alfredo sauce

I prefer NY strip but they didn't have any.
  • StaceyZombie
    StaceyZombie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When my husband wants steak we opt for top sirloin, 4g of fat and less than 200 calories for 3-4oz (more than enough for me since I'm not crazy about it). No fat so you have to beat it with a tenderizer but it's decent :-)
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    with organic grass fed beef
    After reading "Omnivores Dilemma" I am all about grass fed and finished beef. We are signing up for a meat CSA that supplies such.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Have you tried buffalo steaks? They're apparently lower in sat fat and taste nicer imo. Or maybe a fillet steak..They'se expensive, but they tend to also be a more manageable size, and little fat!
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    Options
    Have you tried buffalo steaks? They're apparently lower in sat fat and taste nicer imo. Or maybe a fillet steak..They'se expensive, but they tend to also be a more manageable size, and little fat!

I've never tried buffalo before, although I've eaten elk years ago.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm totally with you there on beef. I go to our local grocery store that is NOT WalMart and they don't carry anything leaner then 15% fat and it's $5 dollars a POUND. The cheap stuff is 25% fat. :( Might just be a horrible selection at my store but I refuse to shop in multiple places just for meat. I much prefer my skineless boneless chicken breast and my salmon! <3 With shrimp once in a while. Keeps me happy anyways.
  • liagarden
    liagarden Posts: 54
    Options
    At least your getting good omegas from the grass-fed beef, and pure protein, and supporting a small farmer. All other beef-eaters, who still buy grocery-store beef, take the time to watch "Food, Inc." I got it from the library (also from Netflix, and even youtube). "The End of Surburbia" is another good one to watch (on youtube). The world is changing, and we need to make some changes, too. I hope everyone will grow some edibles in their landscaping, or even a whole backyard garden. If you're in an apartment, you can grow a container of baby lettuce greens, and cherry tomatoes. You know it's organic, and it's local. Our farmers Market doesn't start until May 15.
  • liagarden
    Options
    with organic grass fed beef
    After reading "Omnivores Dilemma" I am all about grass fed and finished beef. We are signing up for a meat CSA that supplies such.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    Options
    I much prefer my skineless boneless chicken breast and my salmon! <3 With shrimp once in a while. Keeps me happy anyways.

I'm not with you on the salmon (I just can't like it), but totally on the others! And ground turkey! :)
  • liagarden
    Options
    That's a great idea. More and more of those across the country. Omnivore's Dilemma is a great book, and you can see Michael Pollan speaking to various groups on youtube. Our involvement with food doesn't stop with our weight. We all need to work to secure a safe food supply for our children, and their children, etc. Monsanto, Tyson, Hormel, Con-Agra (Healthy Choice) and all the giant agri-businesses out there are taking freedom of choice from us. You can look at fb: Lia Katzman & Lia Emet-Katzman.

http://www.ted.com/talks/carolyn_steel_how_food_shapes_our_cities.html

Good video about food in cities, and unsustainable diets, and the discussion on meat. From TED Conference
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I seldom eat beef.....in fact, I cannot recall the last time I had any, but it causes me severe stomach distress. Don't know why, and the doc gave me some meds to take, but it's just easier to avoid.

Love chicken, though, and that ham I baked today is looking pretty tasty
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    That's a great idea. More and more of those across the country. Omnivore's Dilemma is a great book, and you can see Michael Pollan speaking to various groups on youtube. Our involvement with food doesn't stop with our weight. We all need to work to secure a safe food supply for our children, and their children, etc. Monsanto, Tyson, Hormel, Con-Agra (Healthy Choice) and all the giant agri-businesses out there are taking freedom of choice from us. You can look at fb: Lia Katzman & Lia Emet-Katzman.
    Omnivore's Dilemma was a real eye opener for me. It's a whole world outlook and how we as humans exist in our environment. We have also signed up for a veggie CSA as well and are planning to freeze and can. I would love to get to a point that we don't buy anything trucked from hundreds or thousands of miles away, and not saturated in one way or another with corn.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

http://www.ted.com/talks/carolyn_steel_how_food_shapes_our_cities.html

Good video about food in cities, and unsustainable diets, and the discussion on meat. From TED Conference

And Cargill, which ranks right up there with Monsanto as that is where most of the "factory farm" meats come from.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options

I've never tried buffalo before, although I've eaten elk years ago.

You have to look, but there are some farmers that breed buffalo and cattle together - "beefalo". Best of both worlds - tasty!
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    That TED clip is great - they've got the most interesting and enlightening programming!!

We have beef maybe once a week and I buy the best sirloin I can find (organic, etc.), cook it whole and then slice it - that way I can control my portion size and add it to a thai-style salad or something.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Don't blame the beef for your shortcomings.