Withdrawls?

Options
I'm only about a week or so into this. I am getting headaches and some cravings. Did anybody else go through this when they started??

Thanks

Replies

• LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I crave garlic bread ALL day every day... Also I did get head ahces for a few days from stopping caffeine
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes don't give up. Just drink a lot of water. Grab a piece of fruit or some veggies and a little lite dressing. Go for a walk. But don't give up.
  • lawdhelpme2
    lawdhelpme2 Posts: 149
    Options
    My head hurt so bad I thought something was really wrong. After a week it stopped hurting.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I definitely had some headaches for the first week or two due to cutting back on sugar by a lot. I decided to ease off rather than go cold turkey to make the headaches more manageable. Have some fruit or healthy cereal, or maybe a piece of whole grain toast with jam. It should get better soon. Oh, and be sure to drink plenty of water; dehydration leads to headaches too.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If the cravings are bad enough you may need to gradually reduce your consumption of the foods you're craving. I know I was never able to give up sugar cold turkey.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Yes, i'm still currently going through this! so i'm bumpimg this :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Withdrawl from what??
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out caffeine? Usually cutting back the caffeine too drastically if you were addicted to it can cause some good sized headaches. If so, you might want to have just 1/2 of a can of diet caffeinated soda for a week, then cut it back again to 1/4 can for 1 week, then stop.

If it wasn't a caffeine deprived headache, you may not be having the correct nutrition daily that you need. Are you checking to make sure you are getting healthy choices, esp on fat, carbs, lean proteins, fruits and veggies? Also, if you can get in 8 x 8oz glasses of h20, flavored with diet fruit juice, (1/4 fruit juice, i.e. sugar free grape juice to 3 parts h20, )makes it go down easier if you are normally not a water drinker, or of course adding lemon/lime.

Another possibility to the headaches could be if you have increased your intake of aspartame. I found out that I have a serious migraine 3 days after downing more than 1/2 glass of diet anything, so I had to stop anything containing aspartame altogether.

The cravings are often the first week of cutting out or way back on carbs/sugar. One thing that helps a WHOLE lot is to make sure you are getting the proper amount of healthy, HIGH FIBER, complex carbs, i.e. whole wheat/whole grain, fruits, veggies. Increasing fiber, and also getting a healthy, nutritious snack about 2 to 3 hours between meals, i.e. handful of almonds, 1 x skim milk string cheese, apple, etc, will control the cravings and often a headache if it is a blood sugar issue.

Don't give up, but take a look at your food diary, and see if any of this helps!

Best of luck to you!!!:flowerforyou:
  • jabsmckee
    jabsmckee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise! I did cut out pop and sugars - cold turkey. I hope I have weathered the worst of it. I appreciate all of your answers. It feels great to know I'm not alone out here!!!!