I feel like I cannot get below a certain weight...frustrated

Options
Within the past year I have lost 30lbs. Which is great, problem is I have not consistently lost any weight since December now. I am struggling with the same 5lbs week after week. I lose weight one week and am totally encouraged. The next week that weight comes right back on and I am back to square one. I desperately want to be below 200lbs. As of right now, I have 13 lbs to go. I am determined to get there, but am starting to feel discouraged.

I am exercising very consistently. Boot camp twice per week and running/walking 4 miles at least 3 other days per week.

My eating is very good during the week. I will admit I usually eat more on the weekends, however I know I am not eating so much that it is cancelling out all the work I do during the week. I am talking dinner out on Saturdays and possibly a few drinks with friends.

I guess some good points I have to bring up...I've managed to keep 30lbs off for a while now. Also...the "old me" would have long since given up...not having lost any weight for this long a stretch of time. So I am happy that i have been able to stick with my diet and exercise for this long. Its proving to me that I have definetely made some lifestyle changes. But its time to do more now!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me break through this wall!?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest changing up your exercise. Our bodies adapt to what we do and they start to become more efficient at it
  • RockyBoy2
    RockyBoy2 Posts: 21
    Options
    To break plaeau:

Always do more!
    If you are doing cardio once in a day, do it twice, if doing for single time, increase intensity of workout.
    Make your diet less in carbs and increase your proteins intake for small time till you break the plaeau.

Re-adjust your calorie intake as per your current weight. (In case you are still using old calculations, you can reduce calories little further.)

Just my 2 cents!

This advice is from books I have read till date with my own experience.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a day where you don't watch your calories at all. I've heard from several different people on this site about how they broke through their plateau after going over their calories by like 3-400 in one day. Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water. (And like someone else said, change up your exercise. Maybe add an extra 15-20 minutes of cardio in)
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Stop eating out on Saturdays. :-( Unfortunately I have learned that even 1 day of poor eating equals anywhere from 3-5 lbs. of payback. Maybe try once a month instead.
  • daved74
    Options
    I feel your pain, i have been going through the same ordeal for the past five weeks i would start out at 215 on Monday do really well during the week, by Friday i would be at around 207 208 then the week end hits and i would binge alittle and be back right at 215 very discouraging at least i know i am not alone hope things work out
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Tobreak a plateau, you have to really get serious and shake it up. Do different workouts, change your diet, plus be really honest with yourself about it all. Are you tracking eveything? Are you working out with the intensity you claim? Whatever you do, you have to get real, and you have to change things up. Work harder, and eat less. A plateau usually means, your all set. you have to increase your effort, usually.