Re : Ripe mangoes

Options
Hi ! Am just wondering if ripe mangoes can make me fat.. I have eaten 3 small ones (about 220g) for the whole day to substitute for my carb needs..Am currently on a 1200 calories daily goal and after computing my food consumption including the mangoes (which i eat for my breakfast,lunch and dinner) together with my steamed fish and whole wheat bread and greens, I'm still a few calories short of my goal..but still am worried cos of the sugar content in mangoes...I wouldn't want for my hardwork in losing the weight go to waste but i just can't help eating mangoes..it's one of my favorite fruits..and i would have to add also that aside from the mangoes, I haven't eaten anything else that is sweet today... =)

Replies

• McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If I have understood right w/Doc Oz...your okay. Those are "good" sugars...and basically I've heard that we can eat as much fruit and veggies (because even carrots has natural sugars in them) but still gotta watch our cal's. So, I say your good to go! Good Luck!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Mangoes, a tropical fruit: complex carbohydrate. The body digests complex carbs differently than simple carbs (sugary type intake). Your body needs fruit & vegetables for the natural vitamins, for the fiber needed to act as a natural stool softener for the bowel. In the old Weight Watcher program, women were counseled to have 3 fruit servings/day (for men: it was 5). "Carbohydrates are necessary to your health, because every cell in your body uses them for energy. In fact, your brain can only use carbohydrates for energy."

"Complex carbohydrates are high-fiber foods, which improve your digestion. They help stabilize the blood sugar, keep your energy at an even level, and help you feel satisfied longer after your meal.

In contrast, sugar and other simple carbohydrates can alter your mood, lead to cravings and compulsive eating, cause wide swings in your blood-sugar levels, and cause weight gain in most people. In addition, a high consumption of sugar can lead to uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms when you finally decide to improve your diet and forgo the sweets."

Some examples of healthy foods containing complex carbohydrates:
    Spinach Whole Barley Grapefruit
    Turnip Greens Buckwheat Apples
    Lettuce Buckwheat bread Prunes
    Water Cress Oat bran bread Apricots, Dried
    Zucchini Oatmeal Pears
    Asparagus Oat bran cereal Plums
    Artichokes Museli Strawberries
    Okra Wild rice Oranges
    Cabbage Brown rice Yams
    Celery Multi-grain bread Carrots
    Cucumbers Pinto beans Potatoes
    Dill Pickles Yogurt, low fat Soybeans
    Radishes Skim milk Lentils
    Broccoli Navy beans Garbanzo beans
    Brussels Sprouts Cauliflower Kidney beans
    Eggplant Soy milk Lentils
    Onions Whole meal spelt bread Split peas

"Simple carbohydrates are more refined, are usually found in foods with fewer nutrients, and tend to be less satisfying and more fattening.
    Table sugar
    Corn syrup
    Fruit juice
    Candy
    Cake
    Bread made with white flour
    Pasta made with white flour
    Soda pop, such as Coke®, Pepsi®, Mountain Dew®, etc.
    Candy
    All baked goods made with white flour
    Most packaged cereals"

To determine serving size, i.e. small medium large. When shopping, choose 3 pieces of fruit that look like small, medium and large. The one in the middle is the medium size. You can select either the small or the medium depending upon your activity level and body's needs.
  • moninaroselle
    Options
    i'll keep everything in mind! thanks so much for all the information and help !! =)