Fibromyalgia & Insulin Resistance

Options
This weekend was just an overall terrible weekend for me with eating in general. I loaded up on carbs saturday evening with pizza, cookies, and cupcakes. I did this knowing I am insulin resistant and cannot eat a lot of carbs without them sticking to me as fat! It was a holiday weekend, so honestly I didn't care. Anyways, Sunday morning rolled around and I had a brownie, some chicken nuggets, a brisket sandwich, a cupcake and a cookie throughout the day. Yeah, BAD! I know!!

Well then all of a sudden I got a fibromyalgia flare up. I couldn't understand why because I hadn't done any strenuous exercise (even the movement of my arms when I walk triggers a flare up). I decided to look it all up. All I could think was that I had eaten so much that my body was just trying to burn off this extra crap.

I found this link that has some helpful information. It made sense to me, so now, I am definitely going to manage my carb intake a lot better. I swear, one thing always leads to another. I think I'd rather eat more lean meat any day than be in pain for two or three days straight!

Hope this helps others also!

http://www.naturalchoicesforyou.com/site/680805/page/594047

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    When you have insulin resistance carbs = inflammation. Especially if you take in an excess amount without balancing with fiber and not taking in enough water. Good luck in your journey :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    When you have insulin resistance carbs = inflammation. Especially if you take in an excess amount without balancing with fiber and not taking in enough water. Good luck in your journey :)

So true!

This is why I restrict my carbs because basically I am allergic to carbs- LOL. They are the reason why I was obese. As soon as I restricted, I lost like crazy!
  • lisaw325
    lisaw325 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP and saw your post. Thanks for the link...I too have Fibromyalgia, crave carbs, and suffer from the inflammation so I'm going to check it out. I'd like to know if you have a regular exercise routine, and if so what's working for you. I've been afraid to jump into anything because I know my body will pay for it for two or three days following.
  • amyilene03
    amyilene03 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until today that I realized how bad carbs are for Fibromyalgia. I am in soooo much pain today, it's unreal. That being said, I try to exercise at least every other day unless I have some crazy soreness that I can't just push through. I am usually walking/jogging or I jump on the elliptical for 30 minutes. Nothing too strenuous at all. This weekend was just a bust because of Easter, but I normally do not eat more than 25% carbs, so about 88g of my 1400 calorie allotment. I have polycystic ovary syndrome also, so I really have to watch what I eat. I don't drink caffeine or any diet drinks or artificial sweeteners. I noticed the artificial stuff causes flare ups too. I'm usually eating extremely healthy during the week. I take fish oil and multivitamins, also! Hope this helps! :-)
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    Hey! Glad you posted this. I also have fibro, and after reading up on the link between insulin resistance, inflammation, and carbs (good or bad), I have tried to give up most carbs except for fruits and vegetables. I try to keep it between 50-100 g of carbs a day (20-30% or my diet). I can tell a HUGE difference in my fibro when I skip the carbs vs. when I have bread or sugar. My fibro flares up and I get really sick. After 1 weeks of moderate carb I have way more energy and less pain. It is worth it for me to stay away from them. It also has helped tremendously with my weight loss.
  • chimibug
    chimibug Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I am new to this site and really appreciate the posters sharing their experiences. I, too, have flibromyalgia and also had a thyroidectomy 3 years back which seemed to exacerabate the fibro. Like you, I indulged in too many carbs this weekend, specifically chocolate. This morning I could hardly get out of bed - pain in every muscle of my body. To add to the misery, I spent Friday in heavy duty house cleaning. I agree that the carbs don't do us fiboromites any favors - going to curb the bad stuff and take a short walk to get moving. Guess it's trial and error and one day at a time.