Excercise and headaches

Options
Hi everyone! I'm a frequent migraine sufferer (the kind that send you to the emergency room for that horrible shot) and I have frequent stress headaches. I've noticed lately that since I started getting up at 5am to work out I've been getting -daily- headaches and it's not my usual migraines or stress headaches. Has anyone else noticed/experienced (and cured, preferably!) this occurance?

Thanks!

Replies

• jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yes me to, i take advil before i workout
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this applies to you or not, but many people clench their jaws and hold their breath when they lift weights, and this will often result in a post workout headache. Some people will clench their jaws in difficult protions of their cardio routines as well, and this will again cause post workout headaches. So perhaps try to keep your lower jaw slack while exercising and focus on your breathing, which may alleviate the headaches.

How much sleep are you getting? Sometimes pepole who get up early to work out don't also make sure that they go to bed earlier to compensate for the lost sleep. Exhaustion will give you a dull headache.

Mild dehydration can also cause headaches, so that's something else to check.

If you've wrenched anything in yoru neck, shoulder or upper back, this could also cause a headache.
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You might be dehydrated? I get headaches when I work out hard sometimes, and it's usually when I don't drink enough water. Maybe try drinking before and while you're working out. Not sure this will help, but it might!
  • stitcherbeth
    Options
    Have you been drinking enough water? also, could it be allergy related?
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have noticed headaches lately and I do get migraines.... not hospital kind but still puts me out... this morning I got up early to get my workout in and I had to lay back down because my head started to throb.... i would love a solution to this!!
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking while you workout? Maybe you are getting dehydrated. This will give me headache fast. Just a thought...
  • nursegessica
    Options
    something to talk to your physician about. lots of questions to be answered by him/her to figure it out..... do you drink enough water? do you follow an anti-migraine diet? do you take migraine prevention medication and have meds to break a headache when it comes on? do you clench your jaw in your sleep (do you want to be fitted for an orthodontic appliance to help)? do you have high blood pressure?....... regular check-ups are important!
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    I've learned that I sometimes get headaches when I'm really tired. Like 'beyond tired, pushing too much, need way more sleep' kind of tired. Especially later in the week after getting up at 4:45am all week, working out, working full time, kids stuff at night, etc (the normal busy American life!) and not getting to bed early enough. By the end of the week it seems to start catching up and I get those headaches until I catch back up (at least a little bit) on sleep. Just somethin' to consider. Best wishes, hope you work it out!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Im exactly the same as you, and im experiencing frequent daily headaches since iv started exercising aswell...
    I'v upped how much i drink from 1 - 2 glasses of water a day to 7 - 8, so its definately not because of lack of drink.
    And iv been taking vitamins, so its not like im lacking anything which my brain may be trying to force me to stop..
    I also have this random problem that i havent yet spoken to a doctor about, which is sometimes when i lean forwards i get this piercing headache in the back of my head and i pass out for a couple of seconds... But thats all to do with wear my head is...
    So maybe your doing an exercise thats straining your head / neck..
    I also know that one of the causes of headaches / migraines is a lack of oxygen to the brain, so maybe your holding your breath in when you exercise... Or your not breathing deep anoth....
    During exercises i would try to breath in for 4 seconds. Hold the breath for 2 seconds. Breath out for 4 seconds. Hold your breath for 2 seconds.... etc..
    Sorry i cant be of more help..
  • Niceven
    Niceven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    LOL ok this seems to be a concern of everyone that I'm getting enough water. To answer the question, I drink around two of those metal cans -during- work out and then probably five more during the day (and even that doesn't seem like as many as I usually drink.) I've always been a little obsessive about water. I probably drink 1 can of soda every two months!

One person metioned clenching my jaw and that's entirely possible. I do that just sitting here at the computer! Possibly on the sleep side too but I still get them when I have my normal 7 hours...but I could just be so out of whack that it's affecting me every day?

Helice, you mentioned you're taking vitamins, I should probably try that! I take super b when I remember but I'm sure I need more than that. Any favorites?

Thanks everyone, this was very helpful!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Helice, you mentioned you're taking vitamins, I should probably try that! I take super b when I remember but I'm sure I need more than that. Any favorites?

I dont take any vitamins in particular, i just went down to Sainsburys and looked at the backs and picked up the cheapest one with the most vitamins listed on the back of it.
    I think im taking one called 'health, hair and nails' at the moment. Although for a while i was taking vitamin B ones aswell.
    Which ever one looks like it could be good for you i'd say go for!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    LOL ok this seems to be a concern of everyone that I'm getting enough water. To answer the question, I drink around two of those metal cans -during- work out and then probably five more during the day (and even that doesn't seem like as many as I usually drink.) I've always been a little obsessive about water. I probably drink 1 can of soda every two months!

One person metioned clenching my jaw and that's entirely possible. I do that just sitting here at the computer! Possibly on the sleep side too but I still get them when I have my normal 7 hours...but I could just be so out of whack that it's affecting me every day?

Thanks everyone, this was very helpful!

If you clench at the computer, you probably grind your teeth at night as well (bruxism). When you're under more stress, the bruxism will get worse. Often, the person with bruxism has no idea they grind their teeth all night, but their bedpartner notices it. Your dentist can usually tell right away by looking at the wear pattern on your teeth. Headaches (especially in the morning) are a symptom, as are earaches and broken teeth.

Usually, the dentist will fit you with a mouthguard to wear at night. It sounds much worse than it is ( I have one). The ones the dentist makes are extremely thin and pretty easy to get used to wearing. If your dental insurance doesn't cover it, it's quite pricey. Mine was over $450, but I was lucky the insurance covered mine.
  • MyViolet
    MyViolet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I too get migrains (ER type). I also started getting headaches while I worked out. It was caused by two things 1) dehydration 2) an excersie that irritated my shoulder which then caused a tension in my neck that resulted in a headache. Cured by drinking more water not doing that one excersie. Also after I excersie I do a few headroll/neck rolls.

Hope this helps.