Replies

• soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Great post, good advice as always:)
  • tellybelle
    tellybelle Posts: 144
    Options
    Thanks so much for the post!!! You are such a great help here!! Have a great day!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Nice post!

And I'd add a few:

9) Take measurements. If you didn't take them at the start of your weight loss plan, go take them now. Your shrinking size is a much better indicator of your success than the scale. We say that we want to lose weight, but we really are much more interested in losing inches, aren't we? So track them!

10) Realize that the scale is really only useful for tracking long-term trends. We should all understand that our weight will fluctuate from day to day, generally because of changes in water in our bodies, how much partially digested food is in our systems, when we last used the restroom, etc. If the scale goes up a pound or two, or stays flat, don't panic! More often than not, this is a normal fluctuation and does not mean you put on a couple of pounds of fat overnight. In fact, if you didn't overeat by 3500-7000 calories yesterday, then you know it's just a normal water fluctuation. So don't let the scale govern your self-worth or mood for the day!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Another great post Fuzzy! Well said. Should be printed and put on the fridge!. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    GREAT post! A lot of those things become common sense over time.

May I just add: YOU HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE. Believe in yourself first and foremost!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Okay, I agree with everything, except I'm REALLY confused about eating all my calories back. I'm pregnant, so I'm not really using the calorie counter, but I certainly plan to once the baby is here.

So, if I were eating 1200 calories a day, and ate back 500 calories that I burned, making a total of 1700 calories, and left a ZERO amount left, wouldn't that mean I would lose nothing? I haven't tried it, but I would guess that MFP would tell me "in 5 weeks, you'll be the same weight." Correct me if I'm wrong, just trying to figure this out.
  • missnikkiee
    missnikkiee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You are awesome with all these posting!!!
    It's hard because alot of time I don't eat all my calories and it's hard...Im trying to stay on top of it, but being so busy I don't have too much time planning and making my meals...

Thanks for the great posting!!! =)
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Great post!

3563672.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Okay, I agree with everything, except I'm REALLY confused about eating all my calories back. I'm pregnant, so I'm not really using the calorie counter, but I certainly plan to once the baby is here.

So, if I were eating 1200 calories a day, and ate back 500 calories that I burned, making a total of 1700 calories, and left a ZERO amount left, wouldn't that mean I would lose nothing? I haven't tried it, but I would guess that MFP would tell me "in 5 weeks, you'll be the same weight." Correct me if I'm wrong, just trying to figure this out.

No, you've misunderstood how MFP works. If you go to your Goals page, it should be clearer to you.

Here is how MFP calculates your calorie goals and builds in a deficit. For this example, I'm going to assume 2lb per week weight loss:

(BMR calories + Activity Level calories) - 500 calories = Your Daily Goal

On days you exercise, it's calculated as:

(BMR calories + Activity Level calories + Exercise Calories) - 500 calories = Your Daily Net Goal

MFP builds a consistent calorie deficit into your daily goal whether you exercise or not. In the example above, the 500 calories deficit is maintained on days that you exercise and on days that you don't. You are supposed to eat your exercise calories here so that your calorie deficit is consistent.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    AWESOME ADVICE!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Right on the money, as usual! :happy:
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

that would depend on what your weight loss goal is set up for. If you are set at say 1 pound a week when mfp gives you your caloric intake goal the deficit is already built in, so even if you were to eat back every single calorie that you are given including the exercise calories you will still have a deficit, you just do not see it on the daily log. So you will still lose that weight or more depending on your metabolic rate, and if you are pregnant you need more than 1200 calories a day unless you are under 4 foot tall.
  • irishkiss
    irishkiss Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Agree!!!!:bigsmile:
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this.... It is such useful information & truly the foundation for this journey & you have laid it out is such a simple way. Appreciate it much:)

BTW... all of them are golden nuggets.. but what spoke to me the most (I believe what I need to work on the most) is 8) Developing inner strength.... I think it is a personal & spiritual journey that will help us in many ways through out our lives... & if you can develop a strong inner strength you can achieve anything:) So thank you for sharing:)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Sorry, still don't agree with the eating exercise cals thing. MFP does not calculate your deficit for you if your BMR is low, like most small women's is. For me, it is only giving me a 150 cal deficit, because of that dreaded arbitrary 1200 limit, so if I ate back all my exercise cals I would not lose weight. And I am not super small. I am average height and weight for a woman in the UK.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Sorry, still don't agree with the eating exercise cals thing. MFP does not calculate your deficit for you if your BMR is low, like most small women's is. For me, it is only giving me a 150 cal deficit, because of that dreaded arbitrary 1200 limit, so if I ate back all my exercise cals I would not lose weight. And I am not super small. I am average height and weight for a woman in the UK.

You would still lose weight, just more slowly. A 150 calorie per day deficit would put you at 1/3 lb per week weight loss.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

I have a hard time believing your daily burn number is only 1350. Are you sure about that? I would be more inclined to believe that's your BMR, but unless you're lying in bed all day, you burn more calories than your BMR. Even if you live a sedentary lifestyle (desk job, sitting most of the day), your daily burn before exercise is about 1.2 X BMR.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    yes bmr is a resting rate, its what you burn by just staying still resting, as soon as you move, workout, or do anything it is higher, case in point me. BMR 1669, daily intake 1940, working out 3-4 times a week and steadily losing 1-1.6 pounds a week never fail and I eat back almost all if not all exercise cals. I am not a freak of nature by any means, 99% of those whom do what I do have had similar success if they log accurately and use a hrm for accurate burns while working out.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have been losing 1/2 a lb a week fairly steadily since Christmas, aiming for eating back all but about 200 of my exercise cals (400-700 4 times a week plus walking on the other days, which I don't usually log). If I ate them all back, I'd be losing less.