Not all calories were created equal!

Ty_1227
Ty_1227 Posts: 40
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all! I'm issuing a fun challenge - try to find one so-so diet choice you've made recently (list a quick name, serving size, and calories) and then see if you can come up with a replacement food along the same lines that is about the same cals but MUCH better in terms of volume or nutritional value.

Why?

Well we all know MFP is fantastic at giving us a net calorie limit with a built in deficit. This means that theoretically many new users can see weight loss without changing a thing to their exercise habits. I don't recommend this, but that's another story. What I've seen though is that a lot of people have used the calorie counter to drastically cut portion size without looking to find foods that can really work for them. Often it means they're inside their calorie limit but having trouble because they're starving! Example: Snack time comes around and it seems like a good call to eat a small pack of Lance crackers, not a bad option at all depending on what style. However, there are tons of other food combos out their that pack less calories / gram and could allow you to feel much fuller / satisfied for the exact same calories.

Replies

• Ty_1227
    Ty_1227 Posts: 40
    Actually I'll lead off w/ an example I just gave someone else

ORIGINAL FOOD:
    Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips - 3oz - 300 cals

REPLACEMENT:
    Grilled Chicken Salad (ingredients below) - 22 oz - 296 cals
    - 2 cups baby spinach
    - 1/4 cup sugar snap peas
    - 1/4 cup shredded carrots
    - 3 oz grilled skinless chicken breast
    - 2 tbsp raspberry vinaigarette
    - 1 tbsp sunflower seeds

7 times the physical volume of food alone will make you feel more full and satisfied. PLUS, dietary fiber from all the veggies helps fight hunger.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Absolutely right!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Original Food: Chips & Dip
    Replacement: Fresh Veggies (carrots, celery, peppers) & Hummus
    240124 Posts: 3
    I am having a hard time stay focus mentally and emotionally. I start off great eating right and exercising, but then I lose focus.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Great challenge :)

I've been trying to replace my processed foods with fresher foods (grill my own chicken, etc) or with low sodium options. I've started buying no salt added canned veggies, lower sodium lunch meat, etc.
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    I know what you mean. To me, this is "duh". Of course I know this, but sometimes I want that piece of chocolate instead! LMAO... I try to be good but I like MFP because if I want to be a touch naughty and have something not so good, I find a way to work it in. But if I do I have healthy choices the rest of the day and can do quite well.

My problem isn't knowledge, it's lack of willpower :o)
    240124 Posts: 3
    Yes, the will power and I get mad at myself, because I know I can do it just need to stay focus. I am going to try again I guess just one day at a time.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    What a great challenge!

I used to make fried rice with mostly rice and a little vegetables and actually cooked it in oil. Now I cook up 2 cups of veggies and use 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup rice and no oil! It still has all the flavor but less calories and more fiber and vitamins!

Spaghetti with pasta vs spaghetti with spaghetti squash~ you can use the same sauce and grated parmesan cheese.

Original food:
    1 cup of regular spaghetti noodles (cooked) (2 oz dry weight) ~ 210 calories

Replacement food:
    1 cup of cooked spaghetti squash ~ 42 calories

Calorie difference: saves you 168 calories! (So you can eat a 168 calorie salad along with it! Much more food!)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    What a great challenge!

I used to make fried rice with mostly rice and a little vegetables and actually cooked it in oil. Now I cook up 2 cups of veggies and use 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup rice and no oil! It still has all the flavor but less calories and more fiber and vitamins!

Spaghetti with pasta vs spaghetti with spaghetti squash~ you can use the same sauce and grated parmesan cheese.

Original food:

Replacement food:

Calorie difference: saves you 168 calories! (So you can eat a 168 calorie salad along with it! Much more food!)

You could also cut out a lot of sugar if you make your own sauce. Either from fresh tomatoes, or tomato sauce, and add in different herbs, and seasonings for flavor.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Kettle chips replaced with Kale chips.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    What a great challenge!

Original food:

Replacement food:

You could also cut out a lot of sugar if you make your own sauce. Either from fresh tomatoes, or tomato sauce, and add in different herbs, and seasonings for flavor.

That sounds good! I usually use two jars of spaghetti sauce when I make a batch and add lean ground beef, spices, onions, etc, but last time I just did one jar and then added one can of plain tomatoes, I was pretty surprised when I saw the cal count on the pre-made sauce and was pleased that my substitution decreased the calories considerably.
This discussion has been closed.