My hands need your help...

Options
SuzieQT
SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
Lately my hands have been hurting and burning a lot. I've noticed that my skin is EXTREMELY dry and even starting to crack in places on my fingers. :frown: They're red and chaffed looking. I think its probably due to the cold weather, wind, and millions of hand washings due to my frequent trips to the restroom. I used Aveeno Active Naturals Intense Relief hand cream probably ten times a day, but it just doesn't seem to totally relieve the burning, cracking, and redness. Any of you guys have this problem? Or know of any lotions that are better than what I'm using? I'm not a big lotion user so I dunno if what I'm using is good or not. I just know its not greasy and I can NOT stand greasy lotions. TIA for your help!

Replies

• SuzieQT
    Options
    Lately my hands have been hurting and burning a lot. I've noticed that my skin is EXTREMELY dry and even starting to crack in places on my fingers. :frown: They're red and chaffed looking. I think its probably due to the cold weather, wind, and millions of hand washings due to my frequent trips to the restroom. I used Aveeno Active Naturals Intense Relief hand cream probably ten times a day, but it just doesn't seem to totally relieve the burning, cracking, and redness. Any of you guys have this problem? Or know of any lotions that are better than what I'm using? I'm not a big lotion user so I dunno if what I'm using is good or not. I just know its not greasy and I can NOT stand greasy lotions. TIA for your help!
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    There is this vaseline cream I used to use when i worked for a doctor and it was great.
    It comes in a yellow bottle and they also have little bottles you can carry in your purse.

But I have aveeno is wonderful if it gets worse you might want to see a dermatologist
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    There is this vaseline cream I used to use when i worked for a doctor and it was great.
    It comes in a yellow bottle and they also have little bottles you can carry in your purse.

But I have aveeno is wonderful if it gets worse you might want to see a dermatologist

I hadn't even thought about seeing a dermatologist. I'm gonna start looking around for one just in case I can't find relief on my own. And my mom suggested I use regular old Vaseline on them but I just couldn't deal with the greasiness. I didn't know they made a cream though, I will definitely look for that next time I make it to the store. Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm not a lotion user either, but when my hands get all dried out and crack, I use Vasoline Intensive Care lotion. It's pretty good about not leaving my hands feeling greasy. Also, uping your water intake may help as well.
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    What you could do and this sounds gross but do the vasoline at night and put socks over your hands thats what i do when my fet get so dry.
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, you can get it at Target or Walmart. I have OCD and my hands used to suffer because of it but this stuff is AMAZING, just a dab on each hand before bed and you're hands get so soft.

It does feel greasy but it dries fairly quickly and using just a dab will help with that and doing it before bed so you sleep through the remnant greasiness also helps lol
  • akwhite
    akwhite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This goes along with the sock thing...but I have seen gloves you can wear at night after you put on lotion. I think it locks the mositure in all night while you're sleeping. I think I saw them at Bed, Bad & Beyond. Good luck!
  • amycakes812
    Options
    I have the same problem with my hands every winter! It gets so bad that my knuckles will crack and bleed. I will have to try some of these suggestions. I know that vaseline and socks are supposed to work wonders, but I can't stand that greasy feeling either! If I come across anything else that works, I will update.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    CornHuskers. Look for it at the drug store. It comes in a couple different forms, and works great.

Or, try Udder Balm. It has a slightly antiseptic quality to it so that it heals and disinfects at the same time. I used it when I was quilting, as the needle would go into my fingers a lot, and the udder balm disinfected the microscopic pinpricks.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I used to use corn huskers lotion. It worked wonders when I was stocking shelves and my hands would get dry and crack from handling the cardboard. Another good lotion is vanicream. I have a friend whose skin doesn't produce oil (when she was little she'd have to go and have special tar treatments). Imagine psoriasis all over your body. Vanicream is what her dermatologist had her using.
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    What you could do and this sounds gross but do the vasoline at night and put socks over your hands thats what i do when my fet get so dry.

Lol, I already do that on my feet. Not sure I could stand it on my hands though but I may give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I'm definitely gonna try out some of the lotions you've recommended and see if anything will help.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, you can get it at Target or Walmart. I have OCD and my hands used to suffer because of it but this stuff is AMAZING, just a dab on each hand before bed and you're hands get so soft.

It does feel greasy but it dries fairly quickly and using just a dab will help with that and doing it before bed so you sleep through the remnant greasiness also helps lol

I 2nd this, I put it on every day and not only do my hands feel smooth but it seems to help my cuticles where sometimes they like I guess you would say peel, my thumbs are the worse
  • jukramer
    jukramer Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Agreed about the Norwegian Hand Formula by Neutrogena. I started using it when I had my daughter and was washing bottles all the time. It's super thick, but it does dry quickly.
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    One more brand to try: Surgeon's Skin Secret. It has beeswax, which makes it a little heavy, but I use one little dot in the morning and one before bed and I am good to go - even in winter in Chicago! :wink:

It's a little pricey, but so thick that I have had the same bottle for three years and I probably have one more to go!

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/70132.aspx?feature=&kw=surgeon