Water question.....

Options
I drink quite a bit of coffee and tea during the day...can I count that towards my water intake? I try to get in at least 34 oz of water (that's the size of my water bottle, and I try to drink at least one a day). But it's hard to get much more than that when I'm also drink the tea and coffee. :drinker:

Replies

• bcakes81178
    Options
    I drink quite a bit of coffee and tea during the day...can I count that towards my water intake? I try to get in at least 34 oz of water (that's the size of my water bottle, and I try to drink at least one a day). But it's hard to get much more than that when I'm also drink the tea and coffee. :drinker:
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    Personally, if you drink unsweeten tea and black coffee then I would count it as your water intake. But if you have additives to each, then I'd count it in your actual journal and think about cutting back on it and adding just actual water.

Water aids in digestion, body renewal, and a whole lot of other things. If you add things to water it becomes an entirely different drink and alternate the purpose of water all together.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Hey-- I asked this once-- someone reminded me that the caffeine in coffee also acts like a diuretic-- so that kinda throws off everything--

I'm lousy at explaining it-- but their suggestion was to drink an extra glass of water for every cup of coffee I drank. Glug glug-- :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Is the tea "real" tea, or herbal tea that has no tea-tea in it? Does that make sense? Just watch the caffeine.

I'm really pushign the water this week like never before-- interested to see if it has the effect on my weight loss this week that has been mentioned by others.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    NO... you shouldn't count it as your water intake. I can't remember why...so I probably don't sound very reliable. There are other posts on this topic. I would take the time to hunt them down and check out all the information provided in previous posts about it.

Cheers :drinker:
    Dani
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hey-- I asked this once-- someone reminded me that the caffeine in coffee also acts like a diuretic-- so that kinda throws off everything--

I'm lousy at explaining it-- but their suggestion was to drink an extra glass of water for every cup of coffee I drank. Glug glug-- :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Is the tea "real" tea, or herbal tea that has no tea-tea in it? Does that make sense? Just watch the caffeine.

I'm really pushign the water this week like never before-- interested to see if it has the effect on my weight loss this week that has been mentioned by others.

A diuretic...I thought that was why...but I'm never too sure on these type of things; definitely not an expert. So I didn't want to say it and have it be wrong!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I read an article once that mentioned the word "clear" That summed it up in a nutshell for me!!
    :wink:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I only count water as my water...plain ol' water!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    The only count clear unadulterated water!

I didn't get enough yesterday and woke up with a DRY mouth and I was having cravings yesterday which hasn't been an issue when I drink at least 48 oz - I shoot for at least 60 a day....32 gone so far today
  • deamarie
    Options
    Water and tea both dehydrate you which is the exact opposite effect you are going for. I was once told you should drink an EXTRA water (in addition to your 8/day) for each coffee or tea....ESPECIALLY if you are working out. Just last weekend, someone passed out in spin class due to the fact he had 3 cups of coffee and NO water that morning.
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey noid, why didn't you come to me with your question?!?!?

Before anyone gets on my case about calling her "noid", she's my sister and I call her that sometimes. :bigsmile:

I recently read something where the caffine in coffee and tea are negligable, as in, before some people said you had to "counteract" every cup of coffee or tea with a cup of water on top of your regular water intake, but this said you didn't need to do that. But, you also shouldn't count anything but water for your water intake...
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Before anyone gets on my case about calling her "noid", she's my sister and I call her that sometimes. :bigsmile:

I recently read something where the caffine in coffee and tea are negligable, as in, before some people said you had to "counteract" every cup of coffee or tea with a cup of water on top of your regular water intake, but this said you didn't need to do that. But, you also shouldn't count anything but water for your water intake...

Hey you leave bcakes alone or Im tellin Maw!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    The amount of water in the coffee outweighs the diuretic effect so I'd count it, but maybe not as much. It does have a little sodium so i'd log it, too. I typically log 8 oz of water for every 12 oz of coffee i drink. tea has a very negligible amount of caffeine so i'd count it with the water, too. straight water makes you pee just as much as coffee. :wink:
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I usually just count water and flavored water - but I think there is often times some confusion about "water". If you read many articles it's not always about "water" - but fluids, so things like soup, juice, water, teas - even fruits and vegetables. Water happens to be a calorie free way to get the fluids you need (and oh by the way, each person is different in how much they need - the 8 of 8 is something of an urban legend that took hold), Below is part of an article on Mayo's website (it's on a couple of others too):

Beyond the tap: Other sources of water
    Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to satisfy your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake, while the remaining 80 percent comes from water and beverages of all kinds.
    For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent to 100 percent water by weight. Beverages such as milk and juice also are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is one of your best bets because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Gee, and I thought it was only MY brother who thought he knew everything-- :wink: :wink:

(just kiddin'-- just in case you missed the wink!!)
    :bigsmile:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of recent studies out there that say ANY fluid counts. Coffee, tea, sodas etc all count. The only recommendation is that if you're relying on fluids other than water that you increase your intake.
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Any fluid counts towards hydration, but you don't get the same benefits as with pure water, so pure water is all I count in my log.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Here is how I really 'weigh' in.

When I stopped drinking water, and drank only Iced Tea (lipton, sweet and low and lemon) I was not as regular,I did not lose as much weight,I was thirsty all the time and I had cravings for bad foods.

When I realized I was not drinking water, I switched to water only for 1 week (thanks to a challenge!)
    That was the ONLY thing I changed, I checked my logs.

I started losing weight again.

I dont know the scientific reasons, I only know what happened to my own body. When I drank only tea, even though I was drinking 2 quarts a day, which is 2 large tea bags, I had changes in my body. Retained fluid, which I could tell by my shoes and rings. I am post menapause so no TOM to bloat me either!!

Anyway, I hope someone chimes in with a link for or against. This is only my opinion.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Here is how I really 'weigh' in.

When I stopped drinking water, and drank only Iced Tea (lipton, sweet and low and lemon) I was not as regular,I did not lose as much weight,I was thirsty all the time and I had cravings for bad foods.

When I realized I was not drinking water, I switched to water only for 1 week (thanks to a challenge!)
    That was the ONLY thing I changed, I checked my logs.

I started losing weight again.

I dont know the scientific reasons, I only know what happened to my own body. When I drank only tea, even though I was drinking 2 quarts a day, which is 2 large tea bags, I had changes in my body. Retained fluid, which I could tell by my shoes and rings. I am post menapause so no TOM to bloat me either!!

Anyway, I hope someone chimes in with a link for or against. This is only my opinion.
    Sorry I can't provide a scientific link for support, but you are right. (Saw it on TV last week :laugh: ) Diet soda and artificially sweetened iced tea tend to increase your thrist and cravings for junk food, and should be avoided when you are dieting (in which case, why would you ever drink them? but that's another discussion) Today I put iced tea (art. sweetened) in my water bottle (just couldn't face another jug of water), and here I am at the end of the day, thirsty with a dry mouth and glad I don't have anything to eat with me, because I am ravenous!!

Technically, you can count your coffee, tea, watermelon as part of your water intake, but you don't get 'full value' from a hydration stand point because of the diuretic effect. Beer is even worse. (Saw that on TV too - must be true):laugh: