help

Options
I just joined and have a question. When i search for food items ex. grapes it gives me the same things with different numbers for calories /fat any answers?

Replies

• Nickie81
    Nickie81 Posts: 4
    Options
    Is the type of grape the same?
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You need to use a bit of common sense when you first start using the MFP database. Try using exact titles when searching, compare the database nutrition to the side of the packets and bags the food came in. Try selecting foods with "confirmations", that way you know other MFP users have checked and are happy with the information.

:smile:
  • sam0611
    sam0611 Posts: 7
    Options
    wow that was a pretty rude response!!!!!!!!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't think he meant to be rude. I think a lot of times on these boards because there are no tonal qualities or body language cues, the 'tone' of someone's response can be vastly misinterpreted. I think it was more of a 'if you look at what it says and think it is way over/under, try a different one'. I know there are a lot of things on here that are incorrect. I have the starbucks app for my iphone, and checked all of my favorite drinks, and basically came up with the lowest impact drink that I still feel is worth my $5. Now I order an Iced Caramel Nonfat Latte. The app tells me all the nutrition facts in it, so I was happy to see a grande (medium) is only 90 cals. The first time I went to use the listing from the db though, it said it was 250 cals.

Unfortunately there are a lot of things that the first couple of times you add it (until you start to recognize the entry you've noted to be the correct one), you need to double check it against a nutrition label (or in the case of fresh foods, google it to see what the average content is).
  • sam0611
    Options
    thank you so much for your help. It will be some time and work but I will figure it out. Do you know If you are suppose to consume all the fiber each day?
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    At this point (I've been active on this site for about a month), I mainly focus on my calories. I look at the other stuff and notice when I go over/under (sodium is like the worst for me, I'm always way over on that), but I don't really worry about it too much. Now, I did switch to wheat grains (bread, pasta, cereal, etc) in most places, so that may be why my fiber never really seems to be lacking.
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    I personally think the fiber is important. It helps keep you fuller longer and helps you regulate.
  • captmarko
    captmarko Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Sam0611, I am new as well and when I run into that problem I just picked the one with the most calories. Rather be safe.
  • sam0611
    Options
    Thank guys. I seem to do ok with the calories but way over on the fat. So does anyone stay on target with all. So I hear to stay at or under calories and on target with fiber?
  • sam0611
    Options
    shimila1101

I only have calories, carbs, fat and protein on mine. I do not have sodium or fiber??
  • shimila1101
    Options
    You can change the settings to show different items under the food diary. It's under the My Home tab. Go to Settings and then Diary Settings and you can change what's on there to track.

Hope this helps!
  • AngieR45
    AngieR45 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Sam, Welcome. I too go over the fat allowance. I have been trying to work on that. You can change what you want to monitor such as sodium and fiber.
  • sam0611
    Options
    Shimila
    You lost 13 lbs seem to be doing good ! What do your tabs say?? What do you focus on?
  • sam0611
    Options
    thanks Angie at lest I'm not alone
  • shimila1101
    Options
    I have calories, carbs, fat, protein, sodium and sugar. I don't really focus on the sugar that much so I might end up changing that. I'm starting to eat more fruit so most of the sugar isn't from refined sources. I'm a carb addict so I need the carbs on there to monitor what I'm eating. I've shifted (actually a couple years ago) to eating all whole grains. Whole wheat bread, pasta, brown rice and such. There is a lot of fiber in there. I really just focus on calories and what I'm eating. Yesterday I had too much sodium and gained a bunch of water weight so today I'm really going for being under that number. I'm trying to get away from being a mostly meat and potato girl to eating more veggies and fruits. Plus exercising more is helping a lot. Feel free to friend me.
  • ridthebeldy
    Options
    Welcome!!

I have only been on MFP for a little over a week and I pay attention to calories mostly. Although, I am kind of doing WW at the same time. I use MFP for support and also to look up the nutritional info of the foods I eat. I am not doing the new WW plan though as I have lost weight on the old one before and don't want to confuse myself. I do not go to meeting, I just know what the plan is an try to follow it.

Good luck!!

Anyone who would like a weight loss buddy, please add me :-)
  • limestang
    limestang Posts: 24
    Options
    That is the same thing that I do.