Exhausted after workout in the a.m.

Options
I've been working out for 2 months, at least twice a week in the evening, doing a cardio/weight lifting through class at a club I belong to. I've added another workout first thing in the morning on the weekends. I love getting it over with and having the rest of my day ahead of me but I am so exhausted that I'm pretty worthless almost all day. I've even taken a nap and I NEVER take naps. This has never happened to me. I used to work out in the a.m. all the time! Whether I do an hour or a half hour, it seems to be the same thing. I just turned 40 and I know my body is not as able to recover as it used to but its not like I'm just starting out. I keep expecting things to turn around but its been 4 weeks. Has my metabolism changed? Any ideas? I'm fine the next day, no soreness and energy level back to normal. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Could you change up some of your exercises? Maybe try some vinyasa yoga on the weekends (believe me, you'll sweat and burn tons of calories)? And hey, indulge in an afternoon nap. Sometimes 20 minutes is all you need to perk up. (I just turned 40, too.)
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    Are you eating before and after you work out. I found that totally helped me.
    Also getting enough sleep at night, drinking enough water. I drink an after work out recovery drink it really seems to help.
    I went from sluggish after my morning workouts and napping during the day and now I feel awesome.
    It could be that your body just needs a month to recover. Dont give up yet it will get better.
  • VeganMinx
    VeganMinx Posts: 11
    Options
    I am having a similiar issue. I recently began working out in the morning before work (at gym by 6am the latest - aim for 5:30a) instead of immediately after (if i didnt go straight to the gym from work 95% of the time i would not end up going). Come 2 - 3pm I am completely wiped out. At first I thought I just needed to adjust to the new schedule but it seemingly got worse with each morning (perhaps cause its still cold in the morning... or because i am just overall drained by daily life....)

Im sticking with it and seeing what happens, mainly because I love getting my workout done first thing in the morning and dont have to worry about getting derailed due to unforseen circumstances.
  • carriedag
    carriedag Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try a shake right afterwards and take that short nap when I can. Plus, I do hope things will get better as I get more in shape. Its just so hard to accept that my body is not going to act like it did 10 years ago. Now I have to work harder and wait longer to recover but its worth it to keep on going. I know I'll get there!