how am I going to eat healthy?

Options
I am switching positions at work and heading back to the salon to do hair color again. Right now I am in an office and I eat way better than I ever have. In the salon, you dont really take many breaks and when you do its to shove something down your face real quick, which usually is fast food. They only have a small fridge with no freezer space, there is very little room in it. I plan to bring snacks in my lunch box, but there will be days I need to bring all 3 meals. I really need to save money and dont want to bring something and have it go bad. Advice, suggestions? They do have a microwave. I dont need to eat a bunch of crap. Thanks :)

At least now Ill be burning more calories by standing all day and walking the mall :)

Replies

• elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Take pre-measured bags of little thing you can pop in your mouth.
    Almonds, grapes, apple slices, baby carrots, cheese cubes, etc.
    Try to eat often and not just "3 meals". Every little 5 minute break you get go pop a few of the things you brought to work.
    it may be a strange adjustment, but it should work out well!
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    How about a frozen cold pack in a small lunch box size cooler? That should keep anything that needs to be refrigerated cold all day. Then you can heat it up and not worry about the tiny fridge, freezer, etc. Good luck :)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Pack a cooler with your food. People do it all the time.
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    If you have to eat fast food, I would try somewhere with healthier options, like Subway.
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Pack a cooler with your food. People do it all the time.

My thoughts exactly! That way your food won't go bad..you'll have plenty of drinks AND food...Good Luck! You can do it! Hey..you might even lose quicker because you'll be on your feet all day!! ;)
  • mes1921
    mes1921 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I bring a little lunch box with an ice pack with me every day. It holds lunch, dinner, and some healthy snacks for in between. Usually works for me.
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I pack a lunch everyday, I just do the cold packs in a cooler, like was already suggested. You could take sandwiches, veggies, fruits, anything really.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I travel often and stay in hotel rooms, and this is what helps me:

Make a snack pack for lunch- I got the idea from having breakfast at Starbucks when I am traveling where they offer a prepackaged "Artisan Protein Plate." Basically, it is a little package with a hard boiled egg, two apple slices, a pouch of peanut butter, grapes, two cheddar triangles, and a little scone thing. I think Starbuck's version is 300-odd calories (and $4...). You can make up your own version in a container and bring it to work for breakfast or lunch, adding whatever snacks will fit into your calorie goal for the day.

Keep cereal on hand (like Kashi Go Lean) so you just need a little container of milk in the fridge for breakfast. Also a good snack!

Make extras at dinner and pack the leftovers. If there is no fridge room, use an insulated cooler to store your food until you are ready to eat, then microwave your leftovers.

Keep portioned out snacks on hand- nuts I especially find are easy to overeat if I don't portion them out.

Lastly, keep in mind of a food place right near your salon where you can grab a fast meal that won't kill you on the calories. For instance, in a pinch at my office I know of two sandwich shops and a Vietnamese place within striking distance of my work where I can pick up a very quick lunch and I know their menus and what items I should be ordering.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you occassionally want frozen food, an ice pack in a cooler will keep it cold enough, although you may want to microwave it for a few seconds less than normal.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Make up your own "frozen dinners". Soups, stews, and chili also freeze well. Baggies of chunks of chicken, boiled eggs, cheese, vegies and cut up fruit do well in small coolers. Push comes to shove, keep a few protein bars or drinks on hand.
  • soon2bmrsc
    Options
    keep plenty of apples, oranges, banannas, protein bars, and nuts around...none of these things have to be kept cold and are filling. :) Good luck!!
  • abbyph311
    abbyph311 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I pack a lunch everyday, I just do the cold packs in a cooler, like was already suggested. You could take sandwiches, veggies, fruits, anything really.

We have the same wedding dress! except mine was red :)

Yes, I agree with the small cooler. Just stick with fruits and veggies, maybe a few granola bars, trailmix w/nuts and raisens,crackers,peanut butter. If you have to eat fast food get a sandwich or $1 chicken without mayo. I bet once you get back to work and stay extra busy you will lose weight even more quickly.