NSV - eliminating High Fructose Corn Syrup!

Options
I've decided that along with losing a little weight and getting in shape, I also want to start treating my body as it deserves to be treated: to eat as closely as possible to how God intended, not the commercialized capitalistic way that the food industry says that I should.

I have never been a huge consumer of processed foods all things considered, but it is amazing what is in your food when you start reading the labels. So, the last time that I went grocery shopping, I set out with two goals:

1.) Buy NOTHING that contains high fructose corn syrup OR hydrogenated oils.
2.) Make sure that each product I purchase is made with unbleached whole wheat flour. I tried to stay away from all enriched products as well, but had to settle for one with "enriched UNbleached whole wheat flour" which is still better than bleached and then enriched white flour, so I consider that I stuck to my guns fairly well.

Consequently, I walked out of the store with no high fructose corn syrup in my shopping cart, no oils that were not in their original state, and no flour that had been processed out the wazoo. Non-Scale Victory!!!

When I got to the register, I was so afraid of what the numbers were going to be, and they actually weren't that bad. By buying more natural, less packaged food, I didn't see a change AT ALL in my grocery bill, which shocked me. I expected the numbers to jump significantly. So, maybe eating healthy isn't necessarily more expensive like I always thought, just more inconvenient and time consuming. I'm guessing, though, that as I settle into this healthy routine, I won't always have to read the labels once I become familiar with the products. I'll know the brands that I can trust as I support products and processes that are more friendly to my body and everyone around me.

What's everyone's favorite brand/product that they can count on to deliver high-quality food in a non-modified way?

Replies

• AmieCrawford
    AmieCrawford Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have recently been feeling the way you so eloquently stated... Our bodies are truly temples that God has entrusted us with, I started eating mostly fruits and veggies and tried to stay away from processed foods as much as possible and have found it really difficult to do on the go...

My best advice is the baby carrots (tons of sugar, but oh well), and the fruits and veggies you can grab and munch. I have started separating it all into baggies when I first buy it so that I can just grab and go. Broccoli, celery, snap peas, and cauliflower are all great snacking tools. I started drinking almond milk instead of a cow or soy blend and like it (while it is usually sweetened and a little processed :) I also like the veggie stir fries I make with squash, onion, tomato and a mix of fresh herbs and spices (cilantro is so versatile). Good luck in your journey (or as I have seen others say--the remodeling of your own temple :)
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    It's *really* hard because the stuff is in EVERYTHING, but I wish you good luck. Since I had bariatric surgery last summer whenever I eat HFCS I get dizzy, sick and tired. White sugar doesn't bother me at all, but that stuff *kills* me.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

While you're getting rid of HFCS, also throw out that agave nectar. It actually has MORE fructose in it than HFCS!:sick:
  • classicshell
    Options
    I plan on doing the same next grocery trip! The hardest part, I think, will be weaning my husband off of his Orange Sodas that he drinks like water. Actually, that's unfair to say. He doesn't drink water. Ever. LOL
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am so with you on this one!

My husband and I just did a 14 day detox where we ate no sugar, no wheat, and no processed foods. It felt a little extreme at first, but by day 3 my husband had lost 7 pounds and I had lost 4 pounds! And everything in our bodies just felt better!

I'm so excited for you and so proud of you as take another step towards healthy living! Our NSV of not eating junk paid off in a big Scale Victory for us and I bet it will for you, too :) Congratulations!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!