Weight training instead of cardio

Options
I hate cardio unless it's dancing. In order to lose weight is there any regimen that one can only do weight training?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Weight training burns tons more calories than cardio if done in a circuit. I personally do no cardio except what is prescribed in my Crossfit classes but I am not losing weight at this point. Here is a link to some good beginner circuit training programs...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan-fat-loss-2039-female.html
  • creativedisaster
    Options
    My husband has turned me on to kettlebells, which I am really starting to like. I also hate cardio! But it is the best workout for your heart and lungs. You definitely want those to be strong! Good luck!
  • trigger_zer0
    Options
    Thanks! I think this will work out for me perfectly!
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    If you do weight training in a circuit with little or no rest between sets, you're getting a great cardio work out in at the same time. Endurance sports are an animal unto themselves that may or may not be what you're looking for.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Another vote for kettlebells. Weights and cardio in one and all the benefits of weights for hours after :smile:
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I don't do any cardio at all.

Just weight train effectively. Like others are saying circuit or superset style. Keep your rest times under one minute and go hard. I've read studies that strength training is even better for your heart than normal cardio. So not only does it burn more fat, build muscle, it is also better for your heart health.

Cardio is extremely over-rated, lost 130lbs without it.

Before I upset some, if you love it then do it. I just don't, and it's a huge myth that you have to do cardio to lose weight.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i used to think i hated cardio then i found step classes and now im addicted, have you tried different ways to get your cardio in? if you like dancing etc you could try zumba?