Hit a plateau

Options
I did really well in March, my first month of MFP. I lost a little over 10 lbs!! The month of April has been a bit different. I have pretty much maintained and am stuck at 140. I want to loose another 7-8 lbs, which really doesn't seem like a lot, but am not sure what to do differently. I am eating the same amount of calories, maybe even a little less, and doing the same amount of exercise. Any advice?

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Have you readjusted your weight loss goals on MFP? Example: -1/ week .5/week? Sometimes the closer you get to goal you actually have to eat more calories. Maybe a change up in your exercise routine might also help.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I was at a plateau for a few weeks and upped my cals from 1200 to 1550. Since doing that I have steadily lost weight. I would certainly eat more, not less. You could also change your workout routine.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Up your cals!!!
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau as well. Here's what I did to break it.

1. Increase intake of protein and water.

2. Decrease intake of sodium and carbs.

3. Switch up workout routine.

4. DO NOT EAT BACK ALL of your exercise calories.

Hope this helps.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Did MFP ask you if you wanted to recalculate your goals when you'd lost 10 lbs? (If you don't enter your new weight or have customized your diary settings, you won't be asked.) If say 'yes', MFP recalculates everything based on your new, lighter weight.

If you only have 7-8 more pounds to lose, you should probably reset your goals to losing .5lb per week, too.
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Did MFP ask you if you wanted to recalculate your goals when you'd lost 10 lbs? (If you don't enter your new weight or have customized your diary settings, you won't be asked.) If say 'yes', MFP recalculates everything based on your new, lighter weight.
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have tried that and it didn't work for me. and I hit yes, so I don't know what the problem is. Also, I am having the same problem with not losing any more weight, and I am actually gaining a few more lbs back too, I hate it!
  • leebluejay
    Options
    If you're exercising, try changing it up a bit. Check out this article, does a good job of explaining how you burn calories efficiently.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Burn-More-Calories-on-Your-Run.htm?cmp=282&memberid=103630096&lyrisid=21733509
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'd recently hit a plateau, too. To get out of it, my husband and I went on the 14 day detox in James Dugain's "The Clean & Lean Diet". By day 2 my husband was down 7 pounds and I was down 4. And not only that--by eliminating junk out of our diets, we both felt better and had tons more energy.

Basically, the detox encourages you to cut the C.R.A.P. out of your diet: caffeine, refined sugar, alcohol, and processed foods. It was tough for me to kick the sugar habit at first, but I am so happy I did and now... 14 days later, I don't miss it at all!

Anyway, all that to say, try cutting the "C.R.A.P." out for a while and see what happens :)
  • williaw
    williaw Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

MFP did re-adjust my calories when I reached my first weight loss goal. Since then I have entered a second one and that's when the lbs stopped coming off. I suppose I could try taking in more calories and maybe upping my exercise and see how that works...