Gaining when I'm suppose to be losing

Options
I need some encouragement. I have only been tracking my foods and exercises for the past 2 weeks. I am staying below my calorie intake on most days and exercising about 4 days a week. I was so excited Monday before last and had lost 2 lbs. This past Monday I had lost another lb. I felt like I was on the right track to slimming down only today I stepped on the scales and I had gained all of it back plus one. This is so discouraging. I am trying to tell myself that hopefully it is muscle weight and water weight. Is anyone else experiencing this or have you experienced this?

Replies

• johannahooks
    Options
    I experienced the same thing. BUT, I've also been keeping track of my measurements, and those have decreased.

Yes, weight loss is my goal, but I'm relishing in all of the other side benefits right now of feeling great!
  • image0901
    Options
    This happens to me too... I say don't give up.. Give it time...you''re body is probably adjusting to the new routine
  • starboardzor
    Options
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm

Read this article!! It made me feel a lot better about everything.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    instead of weighing yourself take measurements. Ive managed to drop a dress size without actually losing any weight. What happens is you burn off fat and make muscle from exercising and muscle weighs more than fat. so even though the scales say that you arent losing weights the tape measure might say something different.
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just went thru that exact same thing and, while it's very discouraging, I just kept carrying on. You may not be eating enough. Experiement with your calories - add 50 - 100 additional a day to see what happens. I had to do that, I was falling short by about 200 - once I figured that out, BAM! I've been losing roughly 2 per week now! It's a fine line and one that you need to take the time to find - it's well worth it! Stay focused and just keep trudging along!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? 8 glasses a day is only a rule of thumb. Just like anything else a 4'11" man should be drinking less than a 6'11" man, but they say 8 glasses for everyone.

Also, are you lifting more weights or did you start a new workout? Building muscle will cause weight gain.

I gained weight after week 2, I realized very quickly that it was only because i added weight lifting and push ups.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Also, give your self some time. Our body flucates significanlty (i.e. +/- say 5 lbs in a dya) just from what we have in our GI tract and our state of hydration. I can loose 2 lbs just by weighing after an hour bike ride! Just keep up the good work and don't get discouraged!
  • sashalarue
    sashalarue Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What you have to do right now is put that scale...AWAY!!! I know it's hard to do it but you really have to not get on it every other day i would go as far as saying not to get on it but once a month. You are going to drive yourself crazy but jumping on every other day. If you are working out 4x's a week and your using weights then your going to be building muscle which weighs more than fat but takes up less space. You will feel the difference in your clothes 1st. That number on the scale means nothing at the end of the day. We women gain and lose water weight every day. I went down a whole dress size and only lost 5lbs in 30 days....at 1st i got on the scale and saw i had lost only 4.2 lbs and was floored...then i started grabbing clothes out my closet and was trying them on because i knew i had lost more than that...well don't ya know all the suits and dresses i could not fit into last year let alone 2 months ago the all fit and was a whole size smaller. That confirmed to me what ppl have been saying all along...the Scale will make you Fail everytime. Leave it alone...stay away from it. I don't know how much your trying to lose, i'm trying to lose 100+ pounds and i've finally accepted that it will not be over night...it is safe to lose 1-1.5lbs a week. Like Robertf57 states...Your doing a great job, don't give up, and please if you want to keep your sanity...only weigh once a month, the same day..the same time with the same clothes on...ONCE A MONTH...Trust me...you will thank yourself later when you are melting away..

Good luck!!!