all- inclusive trip

Options
Next week I am going to Sandals Jamaica and it is all inclusive. My bf WILL NOT let me bring my laptop to Jamaica bc we are on vacation. There will be drinking everywhere and I love to drink but havent really since I have been doing this. Does anyone have any ideas on healthy mixed drinks that I could have there? I want to enjoy myself but I DONT want to gain like 10 lbs. Any ideas on foods as well?

Replies

• julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from the frozen drinks and anything that is really colorful has a lot of sugar/juice usually. I try to stick with rum and diet which is low-cal or vodka tonic/seltzer with a splash of juice for some extra flavor.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,116 Member
    Options
    How often do you get to do something like this? Enjoy yourself and don't obsess over drinks. Obviously you can't have strawberry pina coladas six times a day, but you should try things you want!

You will be so active you'll naturally burn a lot of the extra calories off, and you need to relax and enjoy.
  • ericaq
    ericaq Posts: 29
    Options
    How often do you get to do something like this? Enjoy yourself and don't obsess over drinks. Obviously you can't have strawberry pina coladas six times a day, but you should try things you want!

You will be so active you'll naturally burn a lot of the extra calories off, and you need to relax and enjoy.

Totally agree with this. Have fun and get back to it when you get back from vacation!!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Honestly its probably a once in a lifetime vacation. Enjoy yourself and realize that you can make up for it in a couple weeks.

You can gain two pounds on vacation and lose it back within a week. So why not have a good time.

If you want to be reasonable just avoid some of the frozen drinks. Stick with vodka/rum with a diet drink.

I'd really just enjoy myself though.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Eat and drink to your heart's content. Don't worry. Be happy. I think I heard that somewhere before.....
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Where in Jamaica?! OMG, happiest place on earth :) I went to Negril with some girlfriends a couple of years ago and it was AMAZING!

I agree with a previous poster, don't worry, be happy!
  • daniedee81
    daniedee81 Posts: 155
    Options
    i am the worst when it comes to choosing "healthy" alcoholic drinks...lol

but...if you can do it..here are some healthier options....

vodka lime - basically vodka with a squeeze of lime/lemon
    alcohol (rum/vodka/etc) mixed with a "diet" chaser

and i'll have to ask my bestfriend for more on this....she's an expert on this...i'll post back with the results
  • daniedee81
    Options
    i am the worst when it comes to choosing "healthy" alcoholic drinks...lol

but...if you can do it..here are some healthier options....

vodka lime - basically vodka with a squeeze of lime/lemon
    alcohol (rum/vodka/etc) mixed with a "diet" chaser

and i'll have to ask my bestfriend for more on this....she's an expert on this...i'll post back with the results
  • NowGoWorkout
    Options
    If you drink it with Diet Soda, think of it as drinking regular soda in terms of calories. It's not good for you, and you know that. But, sometimes you have to let loose. Get a HARD / LONG workout in the morning before everyone else is moving. That 700 kcal burn will buy you some booze time.

On the Vodka / Tonic post...remember, Tonic has about the same dietary / calorie profile as any full sugar soda (Coke, Pepsi, etc).

Try to stay away from the frozen drinks and anything that is really colorful has a lot of sugar/juice usually. I try to stick with rum and diet which is low-cal or vodka tonic/seltzer with a splash of juice for some extra flavor.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    stick with red stripe and appleton.

appleton white is the best rum ever. :)
    I miss jamaica.

and they have funny smelling cigarettes down there that have no calories ;)
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Where in Jamaica?! OMG, happiest place on earth :) I went to Negril with some girlfriends a couple of years ago and it was AMAZING!

I agree with a previous poster, don't worry, be happy!

We are going to Montego Bay. We have access to 3 Sandals Resorts!!
  • daniedee81
    Options

i completely agree! :D
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    What is appleton rum?
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    stick with red stripe and appleton.

I miss jamaica.

and they have funny smelling cigarettes down there that have no calories ;)

Appleton is great, but Red Stripe taste like butt!!

I went to an all-inclusive in Jamaica a couple of weeks ago, and I just made sure to take a walk on the beach every day, or to get involved in some of the water-sports they offered--like pool volleyball. Dancing is also a great way to burn those calories! I'm not sure about Sandals, but I found at the resort that we stayed in, the portions are MUCH smaller than what you find in the US. That alone helped. Also, I can only eat so much red beans and rice, and their carb choices seemed otherwise limited, so I was eating a lot of chicken, red snapper, and veggies.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    What is appleton rum?
    It's a brand made locally in Jamaica.

It's the best rum I've ever had. Fell in love with it when I stayed in Negril 2 years ago.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

Appleton is great, but Red Stripe taste like butt!!

Def an acquired taste. My resort had red stripe light on draft and it was okay.
    Not a fan of regular red stripe though.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Been there! Been to DR, Cancun, many many places that are all-inclusive! I have to tell you that it sucks when it comes to eating and drinking...very hard to watch because you are having such a good time!

Relax..you most likely will go off track. Focus on the good times with your BF, enjoy yourself, and just remember to get back on track when you get home. I found it not so hard, and in the big scheme of things that 1 or 2 lbs you may gain ( I gained 2 when I went in February), is it really that bad? I did not think so, and lost it within 1 week of coming home. I have many stories to tell, pictures :-). Who wants to worry about weight if going only for a few days?
  • foleykm22
    foleykm22 Posts: 32
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM FROZEN MIXED DRINKS! Try just having red wine and during the day, have vodka and diet soda or tonic or seltzer. BUT enjoy yourself!!!!! Have fun! I am heading to Jamaica later in the year and am going to try to exercise everyday that I am there and then enjoy myself! Make good choices, but dont waste your vacay on counting calories! :)
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I drink Stoli Vanilla Vodka and Club Soda. Sometimes they are nice and put a cherry in it, and it gives it a little sugar for flavor. Enjoy your vacation! :)
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy yourself and drink what you want most of the time. You can always drink vodka, club soda with a splash of fresh juice (its everywhere down there) and that will be healthy. Also, at the buffets they usually have lots of veggies, grilled fish and a salad bar. I find that I eat pretty healthy when I go to the Caribbean because of this. Have a great time! I went to Jamaica last year and had a great time.