Does this ever happen to anyone?

Options
My scaled has been pretty consistent so far , every time I weighed myself on it, at least that I have noticed. However, when I weighed myself this morning, my digital scale was all over the place. I got 206.3, 205.5, 204.2 and the readings kept changing based on what location in my apartment I put the scale in (my bedroom and the walk in my parents bedroom respectively). In the end I just gave up and averaged it out to 204.8 , but I don't even know if that was accurate. I mean, it red the same 3 or 4 times in a row, but so did 205.4 and 205.0. This makes me rather frustrated as it makes me feel like I don't know if any of my readings so far have been accurate. I'm guessing, this means I need to get another scale , but I really don't know if another scale will give me any better/accurate readings. Is it better to get a non-digital? HELP!!!!!!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    My scale gives me different readings in different rooms. I think it's because the floors are just slightly different.

Pick one place in your home and always weigh yourself in that spot (I picked my master bathroom) - that way you're getting a reading from the same spot each time. And while it may not be 100% accurate - at least it is the same spot.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Always weigh yourself in the same spot, and the same time of day. Ensure you are on a smooth surface, not carpet, as well.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself in the same spot you've been weighing yourself since you started your journey. The floor it's on can determine your weight.
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    My scale does the same thing. I just pick the lowest weight and go with that... HA!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This is why I threw my scale out into the snow in February. I use the scale at the gym now.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Is it better to get a non-digital? HELP!!!!!!

My digital scale does this as well.. I usually am in the same room at the same time every day/ week. But sometimes in a slightly different spot and I can move my scale in a 5ft diamater circle and get different readings. But if I move it to the same spot all the time, it seems pretty consistent.

I didn't like a non-digital scale, because I couldn't always tell if it was on a 6 or 7 or 7/8. one pound can really make a difference so I stick with my digital and try to get it in as close to the same spot all the time.
  • Hunnieshadow
    Options
    I have a 5 pound weight that I put on my scale to calibrate before I weigh in.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Dont ever weigh yourself on a carpet - you need a hard, flat surface for an accurate reading, otherwise your weight is almost dispersed into the ground.

Also, leave the scales where they are, and step on them in the same room each time
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering, why did you move it all around the apartment in the first place?
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes. Did you try putting in a new battery? I like digital scales because they are so much easier to read but when it comes to accuracy, they can be a little off. As long as you keep it in the same (non carpeted) spot, you will be able to keep track of what you have lost. I hate going to the doctor's because their scale always says I weigh 3-5 lbs more than what mine does!
  • SJHiker
    SJHiker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That can be so frustrating. Weights are just never going to be perfect. My husband weighed this morning and was upset that he weighed three pounds more than he did yesterday. I reminded him that he ate HAM, which is loaded with salt, and he's probably retaining water. Our weight changes day by day and hour by hour. (and room by room.LOL) The important thing is that you know you're making healthy changes. Your clothes can sometimes be a better indicator than the numbers on the scale. Keep on keepin' on!
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration. My scale does the same thing. I always put it in the same spot and my weights may vary by as much as 3 lbs. I usually decide a weight based on which is most consistent & my activities the day before. If i know i didnt have a good food day, then i know the higher weigh is probably correct. Just this morning i was thinking about getting a different scale, maybe a dial one, so i wont get caught up in the weigh game.

Another thing you might want to do if you, arent doing it already, is measure yourself. My coworker measures me once a week and when the scale has stopped moving, I can still see that I am loosing inches, which makes me feel like all my hard work is paying off! Just a thought!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    When was the last time the batteries were changed?

If it was consistent for a long time, then just up and started going wonky, I'd check the batteries first.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I always weigh in in the same spot at the exact same time of day (with the exact clothes on). I'm OCD that way though
  • mustnothrowcantelopes
    mustnothrowcantelopes Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It was originally in my parents' room , in the walk in closet and then I had to move it because my dad didn't want me coming into the room to weigh myself. So I ended up taking it into my room. I didn't think it would make a difference , but apparently it did,.
  • mustnothrowcantelopes
    mustnothrowcantelopes Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    good idea!