How do you...

Options
Find time to exercise with a very busy work schedule? I work the same schedule every day...

(Mon-Fri) from 8:30 am -5:00 pm and take my 9 mile drive to work my second job 5:15 pm-10:30 pm.

I work 47 miles from home so I leave at 7:40 am and get home at 11:30 pm. I have to get my son up for school (and to get ready for work) at 5:30 am. I'm already not getting enough sleep (5-6 hours) and only get a 30-minute lunch each day (day job) and a 10-minute break (sometimes, night job).

I feel so quilty when I see all my MFP friends working out for 45+ minutes everyday. I know I need to exercise because even though my weight is going down, my body fat is really changing much. I'm at 32%. It needs to be in the low to mid 20's. I work in an office with other people right next to me so it's not like I can exercise at my desk. I walk on Saturdays and Sundays, but its not enough. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot in the bathroom and maybe take a short walk on your lunch break. You can do lunges, squats, etc. in the bathroom. I have personally done both of these. Kinda weird but it works!! Also, you can work out on Saturday and Sunday. I would do a couple hours on both days, that way you can make up for a little loss time during the week. Hope this helps!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You do have a TOUGH schedule! Can you go for a thirty minute walk at lunchtime during your day job, then eat lunch at your desk? Also, whenever I'm busy, I try to squeeze in little ten minute workouts whenever I can.
  • helgamaria1
    helgamaria1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    woaw..I just think you're a hero for keeping up with your current schedule and I really don't think you should feel guilty for not fitting in a 45 minute workout with all you have on your plate already. But if you do some good workout saturday and sunday you could try to find 1 day a week where you squeeze in a 20 minute workout before going to work. But please don't feel guilty!!!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Oh my.. what a tough schedule. I would look into tabatas. It takes 4 minutes and it's a doozy. :) Research it online when you have some time!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    do NOT feel guilty... you've already lost a great deal of weight! you have a very busy schedule without (so it seems) any real time for You. maybe on the weekends you and your son can carve out an hour a day to be active (sports, etc...)? then on the weekdays, maybe on your breaks and/or lunch work in a brisk walk (especially if you can eat at your desk before your actual lunch break). Weight loss is definitely easier and healthier with workouts in the mix, but it's all about just moving more and eating less (and more whole/balanced). It sounds as if you are doing the best job you can possibly do. Keep it up!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I dont work out much due to an injury thats a couple years old... but I would try to bring a pre-made lunch with you, that way you dont have to waste any of ur lunch on microwave (sandwich and veggies, or premixed tuna with crackers, etc etc etc), then use your lunch to walk. even if its just 10minutes, maybe around the building, or down a couple blocks and back, or up and down the stairs, or... whatever, if you walk quickly you can burn decent calories... or like has alreday been said, the bathroom on breaks is great, or even a break room that is empty.. Jogging in place burns 18cal a minute (so MFP says), this is the excercise I do usually during tv commercials or when i have a spare minute, except the last couple of weeks I havent been able to cuz ive barely been able to think with a death in the family/busier work schedule.

Also, another one i do all the time, is dancing in the car... ive been listening to the hip/hop stations more lately cuz i like to dance and bounce more to that music... so just moving your body around a little and bobbing around (safely now, you dont want to wreck), can burn calories... if u get into it enough u can be out of breath quickly and really burn some calories... might look stupid on ur morning drive to the other cars, so id do it on the night time drive if i were u... lol

I wouldnt worry to much about devoting your only 2 days off a week to working out for hours, just be active when you can so that on your days off you can get some quality time with your kid cuz u do work ALOT. use the breaks u r given to the best of ur advantage, and any spare time (the car), to do what you can.. on ur days off try to be more active with your kid, go to the park or walk to the store, or... ya know.. whatever..
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Wow, my first reaction to that is to wonder whether you can possibly find an alternative to working such punishing hours.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but in the long term, that sort of schedule is going to be harmful to your health. Just the lack of sleep alone is worrying.

Meanwhile, if you work in a building with more than one floor, take the opportunity to run up and down the stairs whenever you can. If you're not that fit yet, even up and down a few times will be quite a workout! :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You can do everything you need to do in 20 minutes a day. Look up Crossfit - there are tons of free routines that can be done anywhere and take up minimal time.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I can't eat at my desk. If they allowed me to, they would have to allow everyone and there were previous issues with people complaining about what other people's food smelled like. I will try the tabatas and crossfit. I never heard of them before.

Believe it or not, I went to this new job in March after 15 years at my other job so I could reduce stress and work less (cut down 10 hours off my weekly schedule). My previous job was SO STRESSFUL, this one is much better. I was concerned with what the stress was doing to me when I was diagnosed with AFS (Adrenal Fatigue Syndrom). Yes, there is such a thing. Apparently it is a newer type of diagnosis as it can be associated with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. When you are under a tremendous amount of stress for an extended period of time, your body can go into a mode where it can't produce enough adrenal for you anymore. Strange I know. I have been much better since I switched jobs, so that is a benefit in addition to not having to work 8-12 hours on Saturdays now.

I guess it's a good thing I only mentioned my one son and didn't mention my other four kids! Don't worry only two were at home until my daughter ended up moving home suddenly with her two kids (ages 1 and 2) last week. Now we are back to having 7 at home again. Thanks again everyone! Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Added** I did check out some 10 minute workouts online. I will ctry them out for some exercise tomorrow!