Family... sigh.

Options
2»

Replies

• cghiggins518
    cghiggins518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    went through the same thing. it hurts a lot that after all that work you have people dragging you down. i say ignore it but that is easier said then done. just look at all the support you have here. the comments will give you the motivation to get through this.

after tonights game i will buy you a Boston Bruins jersey! :)
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, my mom's the same way. She never hesitated to point out how much weight I'd put on, but now she's very pessimistic about my weight loss. When I mentioned needing new pants (after dropping 15 pounds), she told me not to throw out my old ones because it's only a matter of time before I gain it all back and then some. Gee, thanks for the support. Don't let them get you down. You know you're serious about it and going about it the right way, and that's all that matters.
  • scarnall2
    scarnall2 Posts: 18
    Options
    It's amazing how many family members or friends disregard how important taking care of yourself can be. Don't get frustrated with them, get determined. I think you losing weight makes them feel like they are failing. I'm not sure why people try to bring down a healthy life-style? Could it be their own guilt? Keep up the good work! Turn their negative into a positive! Use their negative energy to feed your fire. Find your eye of the tiger! Motivation is a powerful thing.
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    Wow, thank you all... It helps to know I'm not the only one who has been made to feel this way or who has dealt with family members making ignorant comments!! It's just hard, because I don't want to be rude or point out that they've failed in their "attempts" but I do have to learn to stand up for myself.

I appreciate all your comments and suggestions!! :) I'm going to keep going no matter what, because though I have these family members making negative comments I have many more who are supportive and I have all of you!! Thanks again, it really helps!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It's just hard, because I don't want to be rude or point out that they've failed in their "attempts" but I do have to learn to stand up for myself.
    That's the hardest part - not taking the very easy route of being unkind to someone obese who has just hurt your feelings.

Sometimes I wonder whether we try too hard... I am probably never going to say it, but I like the idea of looking them up and down and saying "Are you absolutely sure you want to get into a discussion about which of us is abusing our bodies?" :bigsmile: