push ups :-(

Options
ok this might sound strange , but i started the 30 day shred a few days ago and am managing with all apart from the pushups , i cannot for the life of me manage a pushup , ive never been able to do them and still cant. ive tried and tried and feel like im wasting the time now trying to do them whilst doing the 30 day shred.

is it just me with this problem??

Replies

• k_b_fit
    k_b_fit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I did that program. So I just stuck to the knee push ups. If I was having a really hard time I would try to do one for every other one that they did.
  • christadoud
    christadoud Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just stick with the bent knee push ups for a while- they work really well. eventually you will be able to do a traditional push up. Good for you for trying :)
  • chris1132
    chris1132 Posts: 58
    Options
    I have the same problem. I started it a couple of weeks ago and I could do like two. Haha! But I kept trying, and I would just do the knee pushups when I couldn't do real ones anymore, and now I can do 20 without a lot of trouble.

Keep trying! You are NOT wasting your time!!! Pushups are really hard for girls but they work out almost every important muscle group. You can do it!!! :D
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Due to severe back problems - normal "pushups" are impossible for me. I do the knee pushups instead if my exercise program calls for them. Don't stress to much that you can't complete one exercise. Not doing one is not going to hurt. As long as you are moving and doing something during that one part of the program - you'[ll be fine :)
  • Itsanewdave
    Options
    Do the push ups on your knees, but make sure your still have a straight line from your shoulders down you back, down the back of your legs to your knees. It will help take some pressure off your shoulders and chest but will still give you a good exercise.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Go to hundredpushups.com and use their program! You can also do them against a wall while standing if you can't do the knee ones yet!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Every time you do push ups, attempt to do toe push ups first. Do as many as you can and then go to knee push ups. If you can't do any, start in the up position and slowly lower yourself and then try to push up. You may not be able to, but you are still straining the muscles used for triceps. You should find that you'll start to be able to do more toe push ups over time.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I hate pushups! It's the hardest part of Jillian's workouts and she uses them in ALL of them, in varying forms. I'm still not great at them and sometimes resort to finishing them on my knees if I feel like I'm going to die, but I can do a lot more than I could when I started a couple of months ago.
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am on day 8 of the Shred. I can't do a "real" push up so I just stick with the "girly" ones. I could barely one on day one but now I am up to 30 during my time with the Shred. I am just fine with the girly ones, I can feel it all thru my arms so I know that I am getting the job done. Just keep at it and you will get it. :happy:

Barb
  • kjb0976
    kjb0976 Posts: 68
    Options
    I used to not do push ups either. Even the bent knee were tough, but as you build your upper body stregnth, it will come. Now days, in boot camp, it is not uncommon to do 100 plus pushups in one class. Just go slow.. and don't get discouraged!
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it and eventually you will get stronger. I have carpal tunnel syndrome but I do them anyway. I started off with the modified version and once I am strong enough, I will move onto the standard version. I have noticed that I am getting stronger and my CTS isn't bothering me as much.
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Keep with them! I used to be able to do them when I was younger and when I started 30ds I was amazed at how hard they were for me.
    I would say don't move to level two until you can get the push up right. There is a lot of plank work and it was VERY hard for me to keep up with. I have the weakest upper body, ever.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a push ups for awhile now and it has taken some time, but I do 125 (5 sets of 25), 3 times a week. When I first started of course wasn't that many and all on my knees, but now I do one full set of regular push ups. Now they probably wouldn't be considered great form, but I am doing them!!! The more I do the easier it is getting!! Good Luck!!!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Pushups are one of the best full-body exercises there are so don't give up on them just yet.

You can always make them easier by doing them against a wall, or counter to lessen the angle of attack.

Similarly, if someone wants to make them harder, elevate the feet so your upper body gets even more of a challenge.

For the hard core exercisers out there....try putting your hands on a swiss ball and doing them slowly on a 3 count up and down! Those will get you everytime!

Even if you can only do one today....then tomorrow, you try for two...then a couple days later it's 3....keep at it and you'll see the progress! :-)
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I work out constantly and knee push ups are pretty easy but regular is impossible. I'm glad I'm not the only one I'll stick to knee's from now on and keep trying once in awhile for traditional :)
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My wife had the same problem. She just kept at it. The dumbbell flies will also help you progress to the point where you will be able to do them.
    I agree with Kaurine that you shouldn't focus too much on keeping up with Jillian and friends. Just try to squeeze out as many as you can and build up from there. Best of luck.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    i tried the 30 day shred the other day...i made it to like minute 5! the pushups killed me, even the "girl" ones. 2 days later i am still sore!!!! i havent given up i will do the video today again or at least try my best!
  • hollypopp10
    hollypopp10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like that idea! I get the negativity of not being able to do a standard push up and forget to keep trying! I am going to start on my toes from now on and do what I can before going down to the knees.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i used to be able to do them (i can't now, really should try this tip for myself to get them done again) and when i first started i couldn't do them at all, but i was told to break them down into numbers 1 is the up position, 2 is in the middle and 3 is at the bottom, and you had to say the number and get yourself into the position a full rep is 1,2,3,2,1. when you get stronger you can mix it up and miss a number out, its not easy but saying the number just helps break it down a bit
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    People underestimate what a metric of fitness push-ups and pull-ups really can be. They have a really high threshold for minimum achievement. You are raising nearly all of your bodyweight when you do that exercise, so if you are starting off with poor muscle tone, they are REALLY hard to just jump in and do. Don't think that knee push-ups are useless; they will work you towards doing a proper toe push-up in the future, and they are well worth the trouble.