Hello Out there!!! :-)

Options
So, over the past 15 years I managed to put on over 100 lbs. About 4 years ago I lost 20, then 2 years ago I lost 30 (but I gained that back last year). So, for this Lent season, I decided to do something different than the regular soda - I gave up all refined sugars and high fructose corn syrup. Let me tell you, that was one of the toughest things to do because you just don't realize how many of our foods contain either or both of those items! Everyday foods - and it doesn't matter what you do, you have to look at EVERYTHING.

I didn't give up natural sugars, however. I did modify the sweet things I did eat. I was able to find Sugar-free Eskimo Pies - LOL. I tried out Truvia (not completely my cup of tea). I gave up bread for tortillas or pita (still have to look at ingredients to be sure). And I didn't deprive myself of fresh fruit! I lost 11 lbs as of Easter Day. So I celebrated by having one serving of the Girl Scout Thin Mints I'd left in my freezer! 3 for breakfast, 1 as my before bed snack. I also had a great lunch: 6 oz Filet Mignon, 1/2 cup of scallop potatoes, caesar salad, and a slice of frozen lemon gingersnap pie. Because I just don't eat much throughout the day to begin with, and had only a very light dinner, I still had calories left over at the end of the day and I didn't gain anything! Woo Hoo...

Anyway, now I just need to add some real physical activity to the mix and I'll maybe have at least lost the rest of the 30 lbs I gained last year by the time my hubby gets home from deployment in June! Would love to have partners - been looking at a few newbies to meet and join in their trek!

Holla!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• gphamrick
    Options
    Hello and welcome to myfitnesspal! I too have given up all refined sugars, hfcs and artificial sweeteners along with refined flours. Congratulations on your progress. I wish you well on your journey to accomplish your goal prior to your husband being deployed. I'm thankful for his service.
  • MaryAnne0210
    MaryAnne0210 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the thoughts!!! :-)

I've always tried to avoid artificial sweetners mainly because I don't care for the taste but I just don't like all the chemicals! Not sure what hfcs is tho???

Oh, my husband is currently on deployment - I've had enough time to had gotten rid of much more than just 11 lbs but I've been lazy about it!!! LOL I'd like to lose at least 10 more lbs prior to his return!
  • mock743
    mock743 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love your story. Keep up the great work. I am starting on my own weight loss journey. I do hope you find the moral support to lose weight and be healthy.