Unrealistic Goal Setting

Options
Tell me your thoughts...do you think I am setting an unrealistic goal. I would hate to set myself up for failure...

I'm 5'4, SW 233, CW 228 and would like to get down to 199 by July 4th. I started on April 11th with healthy living and MFP. That makes for a 34 lbs goal and 12 weeks to complete.

I want to get the weight off permanently, so I'm more concerned about setting realistic goals. Ultimately I want to get down to 140 but lets face it...under 200 will be an awesome stepping stone!

Let me know your thoughts.

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    34lbs in 12 weeks is VERY dramatic. Realistically even 2lbs a week can be tough to accomplish so I'd go some where in the between 24 and 12,......maybe 20?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    agreed,

2.8 lbs per week might be expecting a bit much. I would set your goal for 24 lbs and see where that takes you.
  • LM721
    LM721 Posts: 10
    Options
    unrealistic. like everyone else have said even 2 pounds per week is hard.
  • Missjenn98
    Options
    I have lost 7 lbs in 2.5 months. Granted, I don't have a lot to lose (I'm about 1/2 way there) but I'm deliberately doing this slowly so it will be a lifestyle change. I lost 30 lbs in 5 months once but put over 1/2 of it back on over the next year because I didn't make permanent changes.

I think that having a goal to lose .5-1 lb a week would be more realistic, but that's me.

Good luck in whatever you choose! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • annameeks00
    Options
    Between January 19 - April 19 I lost 33 pounds. I dont think that is unrealistic. It was hard work and took dicipline but I honestly dont think its unrealistic since i just did it. Starting at 228 as well and I am 5'4 1/2 (hey the 1/2 matters! haha) Goodluck girl, being back in the 100's feels great! Down to 192 now!
  • Mickers36
    Mickers36 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a bit high. Getting 2 lbs a week is hard, but you can do it, I know I am trying to lose another 12 by the end of May, so im hoping it's attainable, but might be too much to fast, so I'm aiming for 1.5 a week.
    Good luck ! :bigsmile:
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think it possible, but in the first 4 wks on here I have lost 17 lbs. I don't expect it to keep going at that rate, but then again the first couple of weeks I wasn't working out as hard as I am now and I am upping and adding exercises each week. I am eating plenty and have even gone over a few days when I decided to treat myself. It never hurts to shoot for it as long as you understand that if you "only" lose 1-2 lbs per week you are still doing great.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal and our stats are similar I'm 5'4 and need to lose 24 more lbs to make it to 199. Probably unrealistic for us BUT it doesnt hurt to try! If it doesn't happen, it won't be from a lack of trying!

I see you're in San Antonio - that's where I'm heading in July to visit my family. :happy:

Good luck to you! I'll add you as a friend...
  • themrs08
    themrs08 Posts: 87
    Options
    I don't think it's unrealistic, but what I would do is set my goal lower. That way, when I surpass it, I'd be thrilled. I'm hoping to lose 20lbs every 2 months.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Will you be depressed/discouraged if you don't reach the goal?
    I think it's okay to set high goals as long as you understand that it will be hard work and you might not make it.
    I've lost 10lbs in a little over a month, so my mini goal is another 22lbs by July 11th.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You will have to drastically change your eating pattern if you want to lose that much in 3 months. The question is, will you be able to keep up that style of eating after you achieved your goal? You may also find that you will have to eat more or less like that for the rest of your life if you don't want to gain the weight back.
  • kenmessersmith
    kenmessersmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The goal here should be to make a permanent lifestyle change rather than to lose a certain amount each week. If you make a commitment to lose something every week you will eventually get to where your body knows it needs to be. I think you are setting yourself up for a feeling of failure if you set a goal like 2.3 pounds of loss per week. Have you failed if you try to lose 2 pounds but only lose 1? I don't think so.

How about a goal of at least a half pound per week? Some weeks will be better than others but making that permanent change is what is really important.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I think for someone who has more to lose (50+ lbs) it comes off faster right at first than for someone closer to their end goal. It's possible, but not probable. I would go with setting your diary at 2lbs a week if you really feel you need to lose that fast. You may find it too difficult to eat so little, unless you exercise a LOT then you can eat back those calories! Good luck!
  • waveworker
    Options
    I had thought, when I first started my "20 pounds off" journey, that 2 pounds per week was realistic, but I've been in there at .5-1 per week. At first I was a bit discouraged, but then I thought, "Hey, I'm moving in the right direction" and I've been okay with it. It was actually a HUGE boost to see others here saying that .5-1 lb. is maybe good progress. I'm not doing serious cardio (walking 2 miles several days a week + small weights at home), probably the reason for no big weight loss each week.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Some weeks you will lose more and others might be less. It's great to have a goal and a timeframe but don't set your expectations too high that you quit all together. I say go for it! Set your long term goal for the 34 pounds then make sure that you take it day by day. Set a small goal every day to help you stay on track. Also plan your foods the night before so that you are not too rushed that you don't pack anything and end up over eating. And only weigh yourself once a week!!! it's too discouraging to look at the number every single day! Good luck!
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    :wink: set it as a goal. But don't be disappointed if it does not happen. Better maybe to set 20 lbs. as the goal and be thrilled when it is more!
  • HannaSavannah
    HannaSavannah Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You said it before anybody else could! If you set your goal at 2 lbs per week, and happen to go over your goal, you will feel that much better! So think small. And remember that losing weight is a lot easier than keeping it off. Keep that in mind, try to make changes that you can live with and keep up with for a lifetime. It's not all about getting there, it's about staying there. And also remember that your the lost numbers are going to change, once you hit your halfway point I would recommend cutting your weekly goal in half to accommodate the plateau. There's no doubt in my mind that any of us who really set our minds to it can accomplish it!
  • marraider
    Options
    Do I have to come to your office??? Your goal is attainable but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. So you really have to analyze your nutritional structure,exercise, and home responsibilities.. Any weight loss is an accomplishment, so don't be dicouraged if it is only half or 1 pound. It is good to have goals, but you should set yourself up with short, medium, and long range goals with each one being a milestone. The best thing to do is take it one day at a time and try to improve yourself daily. Remember that healthy weight loss is considered 1 to 1.5 lbs per week.