Conflicting views on calorie consumption

Options
My BMR is somewhere around 1500 calories, yet when I input my stats into MPF. MPF tells me to eat around 1200. Seriously, everyone here is freaking out about how you should eat at least your BMR, yet MPF is telling me to eat less.

BTW I am in the obese range for my height with a BMI of 31.3

Replies

• agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Same here.
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    mine tells me to eat less too.. my BMR is 1497 and my daily goal for calories is 1330. I dont understand it at all..
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Remember that MFP also asks about your level of activity.
    1200 is the minimum MFP will tell you to eat. The lower numbers are most likely related to your current level of activity and your plan for how much you want to lose weekly as MFP is including the deficit already for you.
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    mine tells me to eat less too.. my BMR is 1497 and my daily goal for calories is 1330. I dont understand it at all..

Thank you! I am so confused about how people can preach, but then give us no guideline to follow that makes sense! I am so frustrated. Even my doc says that for my height I could eat sround 1200 and not starve.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you set your goals. If you set them for a 2 pound weight loss for instance, MFP will give you a deficit below your BMR and above 1200 Calories (for women), because the reasoning is that it is very difficult to get sufficient nutrients below 1200 Calories a day.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how much weight per week you entered that you want to lose. MFP is programmed not to suggest lower than 1200. I tried the 1200 (my BMI is about where your's is) and did not lose weight for 2 weeks. I upped mine to close to my BMR (nealy 1500) and lost 2 pounds the next week!

Nothing is set in stone. Play with it. If 1200 is enough for you and you lose weight on it...go for it. Personally I need more than that to feel satisfied at the end of the day. If you are hungry and nt losing much weight then up it a bit (even 100 cals) and see where that gets you.
  • redhead91
    Options
    Depends on how you set your goals. If you set them for a 2 pound weight loss for instance, MFP will give you a deficit below your BMR and above 1200 Calories (for women), because the reasoning is that it is very difficult to get sufficient nutrients below 1200 Calories a day.

So why would MPF tell me to eat a number that is technically "unhealthy" (according to all the preachers on here) since it is below my BMR?
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 1 pound loss per week, just like a doctor. If you want to lose more, because you are morbidly obese, it will tell you to eat below your BMR.

1200 is the MINIMUM it will tell you to eat. It is a dumb tool, it will tell you to eat whatever you want to reach your goal.
  • BodyUnderConstruction
    Options
    Isn't that how you lose wieght? If you naturally burn x amount and you eat that amount, you'd stay the same. But mfp says "if you eat this amount then you will lose weight without working out". So it gives you less.

And remember BMI never accounts for muscle. I know girls who are "obese" but they are healthier than me. Haha.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    BMR =/= BMI. BMR is the number of calories you should eat per day just to exist.

Another thing to note is that once you reach over about 200 pounds the BMR calculator is inaccurate.
  • BodyUnderConstruction
    Options
    It also depends on how much weight per week you entered that you want to lose. MFP is programmed not to suggest lower than 1200. I tried the 1200 (my BMI is about where your's is) and did not lose weight for 2 weeks. I upped mine to close to my BMR (nealy 1500) and lost 2 pounds the next week!

Nothing is set in stone. Play with it. If 1200 is enough for you and you lose weight on it...go for it. Personally I need more than that to feel satisfied at the end of the day. If you are hungry and nt losing much weight then up it a bit (even 100 cals) and see where that gets you.

And with me, I changed mine so I could eat 1450 a week with a BMR of 1500 and I didn't see any improvement. I have only seen improvement with 1200. So, ya never know!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be eating the same amount as your BMR, you should be eating 500 calories less than your BMR if you want to lose 1 pound per week (recommended). 500 calories X 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 pound of weight loss.

All of that said, as others have mentioned, MFP won't recommend less than 1200 calories per day.
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse your BMR with the 1200 minimum necessary. Your MFP calculated BMR is how many calories it would take to maintain your current weight, while the 1200 is what is deemed necessary for an absolute minimum functioning; say lying in bed all day. You need to create a calorie deficit between your intake and your BMR to lose weight, hence MFP is telling you to eat less than your BMR.

Now, with that said, some people, as mentioned have found out either the BMR calculation to be off or that 1200 puts their body into starvation mode and they need to bump up the minimum necessary.
  • lodro
    Options

So why would MPF tell me to eat a number that is technically "unhealthy" (according to all the preachers on here) since it is below my BMR?

1200 Calories/day is not necessarily unhealthy, but you need to be very careful about what you're eating. I've also noticed that usually I underestimate if I'm eyeballing portions and entering them in MFP. When I started weighing my food, I found out I had been underestimating sometimes by as much as 300 Calories/day.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you eat your BMR then you're going to stay the same weight. To lose, you have to eat less. Exercise ignored.
  • Parcelline
    Parcelline Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've heard from a couple people that the amount of calories you should be eating every day is proportional to your goal weight; and the way to figure this is multiply your GW by 100.
    So for example if your GW is 135, then try to eat 1350 calories a day.
    Of course this is an over-simplified way of figuring, but it makes it easier for me.
    According to BMI charts the least a 5'6 female can weigh while being in the healthy range is 115, so I tinkered a bit with my goals and MFP still told me 1200 was the lowest calorie intake they recommended for anyone (instead of 1150).
    Everyone is different and it's not a perfect science for a website, so I think they assign 1200 calories to anyone with an un-active lifestyle, because it is a healthy amount while still allowing for maximum weekly weight loss. This is unrelated to any other information you give as far as I can tell.
    So just do the 100 trick, and expect to lose 1.3 lbs a week it seems.
  • lodro
    Options
    You shouldn't be eating the same amount as your BMR, you should be eating 500 calories less than your BMR if you want to lose 1 pound per week (recommended). 500 calories X 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 pound of weight loss.

All of that said, as others have mentioned, MFP won't recommend less than 1200 calories per day.

In my case that would be below 1000 Calories/day.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

When you log below 1200 calories MFP will tell you that you are eating to little.
    Now, you BMR is not how much you should eat, it's how many calories you burn in a 24 hr period if you did nothing all day.
    You need to add 10-20% to that for your lifestyle and that gets you your Maintenance Calories. Then you subtract from that a daily deficit as to how much weight you want to lose weekly. When you eat below 50% of your maintenance calories for a prolonged period you risk starvation and your body will start to store the food you give it. But you also have to keep in mind that eating below 1200 calories is dangersous unless under a DR. Care because you're not getting enough nutrients.
    Hope this helps.
  • robbhull
    robbhull Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just eat at maintenance and increase your activity level to create a deficit for weight loss.
  • redhead91
    Options
    BMR =/= BMI. BMR is the number of calories you should eat per day just to exist.

Another thing to note is that once you reach over about 200 pounds the BMR calculator is inaccurate.

I know that BMR and BMI are different. If you read my whole post you would know that. Also, I am below 200 lbs