Stupid Question - Measurements

Options
I want to start measuring my waist and hips. How snug are you supposed to pull the tape measure when doing this? I would think any difference in that could make a huge difference in the numbers.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I wrap it so it's flush against my skin, but not pressing in at all. I usually have my finger underneath holding the tape and pressing lightly into my skin to compensate.
  • ashers1819
    ashers1819 Posts: 160
    Options
    When I do my measurements I put it so that it touches the skin but not so tight that it digs in and causes a divit.

I hope that helps.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I do about the same, snug, but not pressing at all. If I can still slide the measuring tape when I stand up straight, then it's just right.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Same, I actually found a measuring tape that has a curved base so when you're measuring you don't have to hold your finger in there and it sort of locks into place. :)

Similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Measuring-Tape-Healthy-Measure/dp/B003KOP5LM
  • ashbridge
    ashbridge Posts: 67
    Options
    I don't pull it tight. Just nicely laying it. Whatever you do make sure you do the same thing every time you measure and you won't have any issues!
  • pokiekim
    pokiekim Posts: 1
    Options
    the tape measure should be able to swivel round slightly. The tape should just lay on the skin without pulling or denting in. Tree72 said it just right...
  • sbpeters93
    sbpeters93 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    The important thing in my opinion is ... Doesnt really matter as long as you do it the same way every time. At 240 pounds I put it around my largest part of my belly. Seemed to provide the most dramatic results which gave me motivation.
  • kate1975
    kate1975 Posts: 31
    Options
    tightness and how do you know where to measure and if you got in the same place each time? that would give me a problem! putting the tape in the same place around arms and legs lol how sad am i thinking this but it would bother me as I'm an obsessive haha
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    tightness and how do you know where to measure and if you got in the same place each time? that would give me a problem! putting the tape in the same place around arms and legs lol how sad am i thinking this but it would bother me as I'm an obsessive haha

For arms and legs, you could always do what my trainer does when measuring thighs and upper arms; measure the length and then always measure at the half-way point. (For example, for thigh she makes me put my foot up on a chair so that my knee is bent at 90 degrees. Then she measures from the top of my thigh to the edge of my kneecap. The halfway point is around 7 inches for me.) That way you are at least always close to the same spot for comparisons.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options

For arms and legs, you could always do what my trainer does when measuring thighs and upper arms; measure the length and then always measure at the half-way point. (For example, for thigh she makes me put my foot up on a chair so that my knee is bent at 90 degrees. Then she measures from the top of my thigh to the edge of my kneecap. The halfway point is around 7 inches for me.) That way you are at least always close to the same spot for comparisons.

I do something similar. I use reference points on my body (tattoo on hip, mole on arm, etc) or measure. My calve measurements for example are 4 inches below the bottom of my knee cap.