INSANE QUESTIONS...

Options
OKAY...I'm going to be starting INSANITY in the next few days....so I'm trying to figure out the meals/workout/calories.....so I was wondering....

Is the number you get for BMR thingy....the calories you need to eat....is that number of calories you need to consume before or after you exercise? I'm a little confused on that....

And....the twin is also doing INSANITY with me and my schedule will be easier to adjust meals and eating every few hours....so....my question about that is.....how often do you eat? every 3 hours? or what?

And....I don't know how closely I"ll be able to follow the meal plan of the program....will I still see results if I just make sure I'm getting plenty of protein/fiber etc...but not eating the meals in the book.....

I have a protein powder that I use...but I don't know if the twin will be able to do that....do you have to use protein shakes as a part of it...?

Whoa, I had more questions than I thought....I just wanted to get them out there....please, only give encouraging advice......and please don't ask me to buy products if you sell them b/c I didn't post this for that reason.....I just want advice....

Replies

• psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    BMR = how many calories you burn during the day at rest. It's really the MINIMUM amount you should be consuming any day. You can adjust your My Fitness Pal profile to be that same number, but then don't forget to add your calories burned during exercise. It's just the span of the day... it doesn't matter whether it's before or after, though I tend to eat most calories earlier in the day for energy burn sake.

I would eat every 3-4 hours or so. Keep the blood sugars more level and metabolism going.

You don't HAVE to eat the meals as outlined in the book, but you may want to aim for the same ratio of protein/carbs/fats as outlined in it.

You don't HAVE to use protein shakes, no, just make sure you get in enough protein for the day... whether it's from shakes or other sources of lean protein :-)

May the force be with you... that program is a doozy!
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am not doing the INSANITY meal plan. I am eating smaller meals around 5 a day, but it isn't strict. I am more focused on doing INSANITY as the schedule says and making sure I am eating enough to really push through the workout. It is a high calorie burn workout so you have to make sure you eat enough!

Also- you don't HAVE to drink protein shakes or whatever. I am sure it doesn't hurt but I don't think its a requirement. I usually drink a cup of vanilla light soy milk (70 calories) with genisoy soy protein powder in it (110 cal) just to give my body a lot of protein to rebuild my muscles after an insane workout, it makes me feel replenished because INSANITY takes so much out of you! But if you ate something high in protein it would be just as good (or better) than a shake or powder. Sometimes I try to eat baked chicken breast or some tuna or greek yogurt right after a workout, anything with a good amount of protein in it.

Hope this helps! Feel free to add me as a friend. I LOVE INSANITY and it helps to have other "Insane" friends to compare results with and just talk about the program with!