Timex personal trainer HRM

Options
So I just bought this HRM and feel like the cals it says I burned are really high--like twice that of MFP. I know MFP is only an average, and it could be accurate--I have tiny lungs and get out of breath very easily so my heart rate shoots up when I do anything, but still--503 cals for 15 min of walking and 15 min of jogging? MFP gives me 177 for 15 min of jogging and about 70 for walking. So 503 seems like alot. Also, I don't see a way to input your height or weight. Is this weird, or is this information not necessary? I don't want to miscalculate and then overeat...

Replies

• sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Are you able to put in your resting heart rate? Plus your height and weight do make a difference. I would look at your directions again to see how to set it up properly. If you aren't able to do that, I would look at getting a different HRM.
  • coppercurlz
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'd read the instructions that came with it. It might tell you how to calibrate it for your body type. Also, just from my research into getting a HRM, the ones that have a chest strap are way more accurate than the ones that take it from your wrist. Just FYI. It does sound like a lot though. Good luck :)
  • cfer843625
    Options
    Sounds like you need to get out your lil info packet. I recently got a Mio Motiva Petite HRM. I had to input all that info so Im sure there is a way. It actually took me a couple days to figure mine out! lol Just sit down and read first!! Mine is usually a bit higher than what MFP says and since thats only a general estimate I think its close.

Good luck!! :smile:
  • MadisonsMom2009
    MadisonsMom2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You should definitely have to program in your height and weight and sex for sure!
    It does seem a little high to me but if you make those adjustments in the watch it should all work out!
  • jenniefromtherock
    jenniefromtherock Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That sounds very wrong. I do 45 mins on the treadmill and have yet to burn any more than 277. And I am huffing like crazy! Hope you kept your receipt!
  • eyeballer
    eyeballer Posts: 50
    Options
    I also have a timex and I thought at first it read high. But, I've been reassured it's accurate if you enter in height, weight, and gender. Plus, now that I've used it a few months, it's consistent. And, after I lost 10lbs and updated my weight, it went down in cals burned.
  • damorrisx77
    Options
    That is weird, in order for something to accurately display the amount of calories you burn it needs your weight( I dont think height matters) AND age because max heart rate changes based off your age and physical activity rate. Weight is the most important tho because the heavier you are the more calories you are going to burn; a person who weighs 180 and walks for 20 minutes is probably going to burn half the calories of a person who weighs 300 who does exactly the same thing.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex personal trainer HRM and I can input my weight but not my height or sex. I don't think it's the best HRM but I think it's a good gauge. For me the numbers have always been close to my readings on the machines I use. I'm 5'5" & 165 and my reading this morning after a 3 mile run & 40 mins was 571.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex Zone Trainer, and there is a way to program in your weight, height, and gender - and yes, that will make a HUGE difference. If you can't plug that info in, I'd get one where you can!
  • TiffaniUT
    Options
    I have the same HRM as you. I was able to plug in my weight, height, and age, but not my gender (which I thought was really odd because I figured there would be a difference in calories burned for a woman vs. a man). But I find that my HRM tells me that I have burned A LOT more calories than what the machines in the gym tell me. The elliptical in the gym will tell me I've burned 125 cal, but my HRM will say I've burned 500. I always go with my HRM because it has the chest strap and accurately tells me what my heart rate is the whole time, but if feels like that is a lot of calories for a 20 - 30 minute workout on the elliptical. I haven't been eating my calories back that I've been gaining from my workouts because I'm too afraid that they've been off by quite a bit. It's just hard for me to believe that I've burned THAT many calories. I do keep my heart rate pretty high the whole time during cardio workouts, so I just don't know what to believe.