Big Eat Day to Jumpstart Metabolism?

Options
I've heard this a few times and wanted to see what people have to say out there. I have been making great progress over the past few months and rarely go off course (healthy options for the most part although I have plenty of meals/days where I'm still under calories but not eating clean/healthy). With that said, I made the conscious decision to have a big eat day yesterday- I didn' t log anything yesterday- candy, cookies, generally larger portions than normal but ate plenty that I would not normally eat.

I heard that having a big eat day every once in a while helps to shock your body and jumpstart your metabolism. I know that one bad day of eating is not going to sabotage everything as long as I get back on track the next day. I'm drinking plenty of water and green tea today to help flush out my system.

Is the big eat day jumpstarting metabolism an evil myth or is there some truth in it? :)

Replies

• Lulumaguloo
    Options
    BUMP!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a myth or not, but for me, I have noticed that this works for me. The first day or two after the 'binge?', I may weigh more than my last weigh in, but then I usually notice a decent change in weight right after that. It probably varies by person.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to this idea. It works well for me. The metabolic boost is one thing, but there's also a psychological benefit, knowing that you can splurge once in a while.
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Total myth. When in doubt of these "rumors", consult a nutritionist.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    When I am in a rut this always got me back to loosing. I am a firm beleiver that it works!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    To break a plateau, Jillian recommends eating above your calories by 400 - 800 calories for 3 days, while switching up exercise or increasing the intensity of exercise. So it does sound like it reboots your metabolism, but I'm not sure about just one day.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    I've heard this a few times and wanted to see what people have to say out there. I have been making great progress over the past few months and rarely go off course (healthy options for the most part although I have plenty of meals/days where I'm still under calories but not eating clean/healthy). With that said, I made the conscious decision to have a big eat day yesterday- I didn' t log anything yesterday- candy, cookies, generally larger portions than normal but ate plenty that I would not normally eat.

I heard that having a big eat day every once in a while helps to shock your body and jumpstart your metabolism. I know that one bad day of eating is not going to sabotage everything as long as I get back on track the next day. I'm drinking plenty of water and green tea today to help flush out my system.

Is the big eat day jumpstarting metabolism an evil myth or is there some truth in it? :)

I dont know about eating a lot for one day but i do know that by eating less like going on one of those Green Tea diets lowers your metabolism.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    My birthday was about a month ago and I went two days without logging and eating like crap. And by "eating like crap" I mean it. I stuffed myself, ate a bunch of candy and cake, ate when I was full, just terrible. And I felt terrible because of it. The whole next week I was freaking out because I thought I ruined everything I had worked so hard to achieve. My weigh in day was about 5 days after the big "binge" and that's the only time I weigh myself. I worked my a** off those 5 days and it was my goal to just make it though that week without a gain. I LOST a pound and a half! I was flabbergasted, especially since that's about the maximum I can lose in a week. I can be so good all week, and all weekend and not lose a thing so you can imagine my shock.

So now I'm a believer. And I enjoyed my easter candy :) But I gave the rest to my boyfriend so it wouldn't be around when I was trying to be good :P
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    this is the principle behind caloric cycling or zig zagging and yes it does work to some extent and no it is not a myth, sometimes the body needs a kick in the butt. I have done it time and again and it works well when applied properly.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    With that said, I made the conscious decision to have a big eat day yesterday- I didn' t log anything yesterday- candy, cookies, generally larger portions than normal but ate plenty that I would not normally eat.

I heard that having a big eat day every once in a while helps to shock your body and jumpstart your metabolism.

:wink: :laugh: I do the exact same thing, but it's not always planned - life is just like that - or at least maybe for just someone disorganized as I am. The difference is that I've gone back to logging everything. I have to make myself accept that I ate stuff ~ whether it's been logged or not. I know this is really a different thing for different people.
    I'm okay with seeing huge red numbers - I'd rather have a record somewhere than not...

ETA:
    oops didn't actually answer question: i have no proof that it made the scale move again, but when i was gaining again, i tried to switch things up with both type of exercise and varying amount of food that i was eating.
  • alygoo615
    alygoo615 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So glad I posted this! I was really expecting to see a lot more posts saying this was a myth, but it sounds like it has definitely worked for many of you so hopefully I will see the same results on my Friday weigh-in. Thanks everyone :)

Definitely keep posting- especially if you haven't seen the same positive results!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I believe the so-called "myth" you speak of is what is commonly referred to as a "spike" day. It's still a calculated decision to significantly increase calories for just one day, as long as one doesn't go completely overboard with it. It does work in jump-starting metabolism.
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    Total myth. When in doubt of these "rumors", consult a nutritionist.

I was in a plateau for 2 weeks, then I did this and lost 7 pounds in one day! Not a total myth...
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this before. When you do your binge day'days... are you just eating whatever you please or being some what conscious about it still?
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    From what I've read a one day won't really do anything to your metabolism. I'm a believer in the metabolism reset. Google "zig zagging calories" and "reset your metabolism". A whole bunch of great links come up.
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I have a "binge" day once a week. I try to keep in reasonable (e.g. 500-800 calories above my target calorie total). I think that the sudden calorie spike keeps my body from adjusting to the low calorie intake that I maintain during the weekdays. I also think it is a good mental health break because it allows me the freedom to eat out (or enjoy dessert). The key, in my opinion, is for the "binge" to remain within your calorie range for not *gaining* weight. For example, I need about 1800-2000 calories per day to maintain. I eat between 1200-1600 calories per day normally. On "binge" day I eat 2000 calories. Make sense?
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Makes sense... thanks
  • LJTAinDE
    LJTAinDE Posts: 1
    Options
    I tried this concept once when I hit a plateau when I was advised to try it by the weight loss counselor at the program center I was using. For me, it was a disaster because I just couldn't get back on track and get the sugar and flour out of my system again after weaning off it over such a long period of time. I wound putting on all my weight plus more.

I finally got back on track , and I just try to be patient when I see a slower weight loss. The important thing for me was establishing an eating plan that I can comfortably and successfully follow for a lifetime rather than a very restrictive diet that makes me feel deprived or gets boring after a while.

Eating healthy foods in healthy portions, abstaining from all forms of sugar and flour, writing everything down in my daily food journal, and getting as much walking and activity in as possible are the only tools that work for me, and I must accept that I will have to do this consistently for the rest of my life if I choose to stay healthy and fit.

We are all different, and each of us simply has to do what's best for our individual needs based on age, genetics, environment, lifestyle, and medical issues. There is no one-size-fits-all diet or health plan for everyone.
  • favreervaf
    favreervaf Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a good idea to have a big eating day. I do it every other week, so 2 times a month, I'll just go get what I want and go over my calories. I'll get pizza, mac and cheese, beer, etc..
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I think it works. I pretty rarely go over my calories, but I've noticed when I eat closer to the max and not under, I'll lose more weight that week.

I had Spaghetti Warehouse last week--chicken parm and FRIED calamari, the only fried food I've had this year, and I lost 4 pounds. I suspect I've gained some of it back this week, and I've been under by a good amount every single day this week.