Period?

Options
Stupid question.
I heard that when you are on your period you burn 500 extra calories, is this true?

Replies

• SydKaty
    SydKaty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Geez, I would have thought that I consume an extra 500 calories. I'm curious to see responses to that one.
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    oh please tell me this question isn't on here.....eeeeeek....sorry man thing
  • dseig001
    dseig001 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As an MD, I've never heard of that before - my especially athletic OB/GYN college that I just asked about it does not believe it either.

After discussion, it's most likely like donating blood - yes, the calories are burned, but they are consumed through a much slower, longer duration, and therefore to do lead to appreciable changes in metabolism.
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm just asking out of curiosity.
    I mean if it's true, I want to have that bag of pretzels! It would be amazing to give into ONE period craving and have it all be burned off for me!
  • iwanttobeperfect
    Options
    It all depends on the person's body and how much stress a woman deals with on their period. Some women bloat while others seem to shed more weight off during their period. In my opinion and former knowledge, anyways.
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    As an MD, I've never heard of that before - my especially athletic OB/GYN college that I just asked about it does not believe it either.

After discussion, it's most likely like donating blood - yes, the calories are burned, but they are consumed through a much slower, longer duration, and therefore to do lead to appreciable changes in metabolism.
    So 500 a day? or 500 over your whole period, I mean depending on how heavy it is should that have anything to do with it?
  • MissPalmer
    Options
    When I saw this question.. I was curious so i went on google... I found that if you are less active and eating more.. it would cancel out the calories that are burned from menstruating.. But if you are just as active as you are all the time now, you actually will burn about 200-300 calories more.. but it depends how much you exercise.. Cool! I learned something new today too! :)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    oh please tell me this question isn't on here.....eeeeeek....sorry man thing

Psssh, suck it up, at least you don't have to go through it every month! ...nor do you need to click on threads entitled "Period", hahaha. ;)
    When I saw this question.. I was curious so i went on google... I found that if you are less active and eating more.. it would cancel out the calories that are burned from menstruating.. But if you are just as active as you are all the time now, you actually will burn about 200-300 calories more.. but it depends how much you exercise.. Cool! I learned something new today too! :)

That makes a lot of sense to me, as I always feel slightly hungrier during my cycle - if I'm burning more calories, that would be a neat and tidy explanation! :)