Styles over 40

Options
Hi All,

I'm 41 years old, have lost 33 pounds, and am finally starting to look trim and fit. My dilemma: Since I'm newly "over 40" and haven't really been trim since I was in my 20s, I'm having a hard time deciding what to wear. For most of my 30s, I was 10-20 pounds overweight and, worse than that, had large unsightly bulges in my tummy and back. Even though I was young, I mostly hid under baggy shirts and sweaters. Now that those bulges are going away, I can wear more revealing clothing -- nothing skanky, just shirts that are a little lower cut, tank tops, camisoles, slightly more fitted tops, and shorts a little above the knee. I'm on the petite side, am small busted, and I don't have saggy arms yet so I feel like I can get away with wearing clothes like this. However, I read everywhere that women over 40 shouldn't wear revealing clothing. I feel cheated in a way. Now that I finally have a nice body, I'm too old to show it off a little? I don't want to look like one of those pathetic middle aged women that is trying too hard to look young but I'm not ready for the matronly look yet. What do you think?

Replies

• bjorgen2
    bjorgen2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wear what you are comfortable with- no matter what age!
    Beth, age 42, mother of 2
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi there.....I'm 45 and will be 46 this year. If it looks good on you, I would say wear it!:) Nothing wrong with showing off your new body:) 40 is the new 30!! Awesome job on the weight loss!!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I say if you got it flaunt it. The terms "MILF" and "Cougar" didn't come from nowhere!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    If you're buying your clothes someplace like the LOFT and not Aeropostle or Rue21 you're probably right on track!
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You are not too old to show of your new figure! I would dress in what you are comfortable in, and that makes you feel confident. I'm 41 and always wore more fitted things prior to packin' on a few lbs. I will be back into the cute things again once I'm back to my fighting weight ;) Don't let what society thinks someone in their 40's should wear dictate what you want to wear. Do what you want..you deserve it after losing weight!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and looking forward to dressing HOT when I reach my goal. Go for it - if it fits and you like it don't worry about what anyone else thinks. That is the wonderful thing about being over 40.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You can find good pieces of clothing that show off your figure but aren't too revealing as in showing a lot of skin, etc.

Congrats on your weight loss journey!
  • deborahkidd
    deborahkidd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You should wear what you want as long as you feel comfortable with it!!
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'll be 52 soon and as soon as I reach my goal I'm going SHOPPING!! And believe me there will be NO OLD LADY CLOTHES in my closet.....I don't want to dress like a teenager but I don't think there is anything wrong with accentuating your assets! Of course I'll never wear my thong bikini anymore but would you really want me too? LOL But I will always keep it tucked away in my drawer for the memories and the knowledge that I once rocked it!