MFP exercise calories or machine calories?

Options
hi there. Which exercise calories do you 'journal' on MFP? The machines at the gym and MFP exercise calories are very different. I've seen major discrepancies. Thanks!

Replies

• TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If you are working out on a machine that records the calories, I'd use the machine numbers. MFP can only estimate the number of calories you would burn. However, the best way would be to get a HRM and wear it everytime you work out... that will give you the most accurate number.
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'd say if the machine has a built in scale and can measure your heart rate, go with that.
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If the excercise equipment allows you to input your weight then I think its okay to use. If it doesn't ask for your weight it has a pre-determined weight it is using. The more you weigh the more calories you will burn doing the same excercise and vice versa.

So depending on what your weight is and what the predetermined weight on the machine is it could be off.

If I run 6 miles on the treadmill, my treadmill will tell me I have burned 650; but in reality based on my weight I have burned approximately 550.
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My HRM doesnt give me a calorie burn. Is it safe to assume the HRM gives the machine an accurate calorie count base on my heart rate? Thanks!
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • pjbercot
    pjbercot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My HRM is generally 10 to 20 calories more than the treadmill or elliptical. So I would say say it is safe to use the number on the machine.