Lack of Motivation...boring exercises and laziness to track

Options
Hey, so I'm fairly new myfitnesspal.com. I started a couple of months ago but have never posted on the forum. In the beginning I was pretty pumped and posted every food everyday and exercised at least 4 times a week. Now, I haven't logged for the last 2.5 weeks and haven't exercised in 2 weeks. I feel like crap and haven't been eating as well as I used to.
But I still feel no motivation to get up and going. Every school day though, I do walk around for about 1 hr during my lunch break, but it's not really like "exercising walking". The weather here has also been pretty gloomy and rainy and on one of the few nice days I went for a jog, but I couldn't keep it up.
I don't know what to do. I bought the Biggest Loser Cardio Max Weight Loss back in Feb. and I've been using that, but I find the exercises to be so boring. I hate jogging, I suck at swimming, and I used to do jump rope but I got bored of that as well. Most of my weight is in my stomach and I really want to do some workouts that are fun but also good cardio in order to burn that belly fat. What can I do?
I've also gotten pretty lazy with tracking my foods but I hope that starting tomorrow (since the day right now is basically done) I will start tracking my foods again.
What do you think? I think that I should just try to eat super healthy for the next 3 weeks. Because I want to lose some weight for my possible trip to NYC and I want to buy some new clothes. Also, I heard that you lose cravings for chocolate if you avoid eating it for 3 weeks. I'm thinking of just eating as healthy as I can for 3 weeks since I have no motivation to exercise very much. But I also suck at the dieting thing. So stressed :( Help?

Replies

• t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a gym membership. I don't get bored going 6 days a week, because there's so much I can do! My favorite is the elliptical, I do that everyday. But I also sometimes do the stationary bike, step aerobics, weight training. ALSO, most gyms offer classes and a Zumba class is so much fun! I would highly recommend that.

Working out doesn't have to be boring! I promise.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I know it's rough. I hate to exercise. Mainly b/c I hate to sweat. But you have to find what works for you. It's never too late to start again.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think you need to find something that you like to do. How about biking? Or joining an intramural team at school?

I do think our bodies want to hold onto fat in the winter so they give us signals to get us to move less. But once the weather changes so does our mood and suddenly it's all much easier again. So you might want to give yourself a break.

Oh and you can't spot reduce fat. If you want to get rid of the belly fat, you have to get rid of the fat. There are no targeted exercises that will burn off only the belly.
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    I've been doing Turbo Jam and it's really fun. Also I've always found that going to like a step class or kickboxing class gives me motivation to keep up with the others.
    Everyone falls off the wagon sometimes. Maybe instead of thinking of things you can't have, think of all the tings you can have.
    Good Luck!
  • rachawag
    rachawag Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have p90x but I love their about ripper for core exercises. Only 16 mins and u do it every other day. You'll start to notice a change around 4 weeks if you stick with it. I'm not a huge fan of jogging either but what helps me is if I just get up beat music and turn it up loud in my headphones :) even if I'm only walking, the more up beat my music is, the faster I seem to go. 2 weeks of something and it starts to become a habbit, so just try to stick with it. :) I hope this helps some and good luck!
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Excuses, excuses, and more excuses! You say all this negative stuff and still not trying to come out of your hole. How do you expect ppl to help you, if you not trying to help yourself??? We can help those are are self motivated to workout and lose weight!!! If you had time to post this messege, you had time to knock 5 pushups, you are not trying hard enough, and I don't feel sorry for those that don't help themselves. Set higher goals for yourself...you must like the way you look, since you are not motivated enough to do something about it.....
  • sonnacchio
    sonnacchio Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh, Boy do I hear you! You are not alone. I took the past week "off" - like anyone should do that! :-( I have over-eaten and not excersized. I don't know what to say to inspire you to keep at it. I'm looking for that myself. What I can say is keep at it. This site works and it feels SO good when you achieve results. As far as the not liking activities, I LOVE Zumba and would encourage you to give it a try. The days I don't have Zumba, I either get on a treadmill or an elliptical. The goal is to just do it - I don't stress about making it "exercise" anything. I pick a show I want to watch, throw it on the ipod and go until it is done. Sometimes I am faster, and sometimes I am slower, but I get a good workout in. Today I watched an episode of Numbers while on the elliptical. If you had told me I'd go for 40 min. on that torture device a month ago I would have laughed right in your face. Something about having a show to watch keeps me going. And, even though I wasn't "burning", I had a good sweat on.

Keep trying! NYC is worth it!
  • bparsont
    bparsont Posts: 50
    Options
    I know where you're coming from. I hate to exercise also, but found that if I don't exercise I won't lose weight and I'll have to go on all kinds of meds to control the high blood pressure, diabetes, sore joints etcetera. You are very young and should have no problem losing weight if you exercise. there has got to be something that can motivate you to move. Do you like Wii? Is there a gym near by that you can go to? All you have to do is 30 minutes a day of something that raises your heart rate and if you put the 30 minutes in perspective of the rest of your life it isn't that bad. Believe me I have to convince myself everyday to exercise.

And you also have to account for everything you put in your mouth, by using MFP food data base. Follow what they recommend as far as daily calories and then exercise, walking @ 3mph for 30 minutes can burn 118 calories. It will come off slowly so don't get discouraged.

If you want to friend me and see what I do that's fine, I am almost 3x your age but maybe you can get some tips from what I'm doing that will motivate you to keep going.
  • ginnygurl
    ginnygurl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look in the mirrow, NOW, go ahead a full lenght one at that! Like what YOU see???? No one can do it for you but YOU. Better yet
    go on to the store and buy that ex-large or it make be a 1x.......it's up to YOU. Oh, get your best friend to take a picture of you, you
    know pictures don't lie.....let me know when you come to yourself and get busy........:wink: .
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Look in the mirrow, NOW, go ahead a full lenght one at that! Like what YOU see???? No one can do it for you but YOU. Better yet
    go on to the store and buy that ex-large or it make be a 1x.......it's up to YOU. Oh, get your best friend to take a picture of you, you
    know pictures don't lie.....let me know when you come to yourself and get busy........:wink: .

NICE!!
  • poshy
    poshy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I dont think you want to hear the truth but you should park your negative attitude, gain a backbone and like the rest of us...WORK FOR IT.....its not easy for any of us so "please" stop your WHINING already. If you have the time to post all your "dislikes" then you also have the time to do something other then dreaming about chocolate.

I know I sound harsh but you need to understand that we are all on here for personal reasons and NONE of us (I think I can safely say) likes to have a weight issue, so you need to take inventory about what you are willing to do for YOURSELF as it sounds like you really do not want to help yourself. People on this site are very very helpful and encouraging and will HELP you...but nobody wants to waste their time if YOU do not want the help.

Thats a wrap!...:grumble:
  • ajfoer
    ajfoer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "Nobody said it would be easy, they just said it would be worth it!"

Are you worth it to yourself???