In the theatre?

Options
Hi guys!

I'm a college freshman, double majoring in English (Creative Writing) and Theatre, here in Los Angeles...

I joined this site a while ago, but I didn't start using it until a few weeks ago, and it's been helping me a lot. For those who don't know, being in the theatre GENERALLY goes hand-in-hand with being eternally conscious about how you look/present yourself, as we're always on stage. I know a lot of theatre majors, in particular, who feel the need to maintain a certain physical image and are always talking about it, and it's really tough to be surrounded by that—especially in a place like SoCal, home of Hollywood and bikinis—and not be affected by it in some way.

This year, I've been finding that I'm more worried than I've ever been about my weight, and I know it's mostly due to the pressures of one of my majors and this location. I'm a healthy weight and I get regular exercise, but I still struggle with comparing myself to other people or even with how I looked before my freshman year. I'd appreciate some support as I find the balance between school, a healthy body image, and eating right!

And if anybody else has had experiences similar to this (you definitely don't have to be in theatre to have had body issues), feel free to friend me and/or add to this post! :)

Replies

• LeslieReagan
    Options
    Hey hun!

I totally had the same struggles when I was in college. I was a double Theatre and English major and graduated in 2008. I have always had body image issues and the costumer would always comment on if I had lost weight/gained weight. You are totally not alone. Honestly, the best thing that you're doing is talking about it. Sometimes we just have to be happy with ourselves and not necessarily worry about what other people think. I know that's easier said than done, but we are all here to support you. So glad you joined MFP!