Always over my protein and fiber

Options
Hey everyone! I'm constantly blowing out my protein and fiber on a daily basis. I figured I should probably change my nutritional goals - this is what they are set at by MFP now:

Carbs - 55% 165 g
Protein - 15% 45 g
Fat - 30% 40 g

Any advice as to what I should change them too? I'm sure others are having the same problem out there.

thanks!

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I thought that was a good thing...? If it isn't I'm in trouble, lol...
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at LEAST 90g of protein a day.. today I got 123g. If you're strength training and trying to build muscle (don't worry, you won't bulk up), protein is NOT a bad thing at all. It's the best thing you can do!
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this also. I am always over on both. It was my understanding that it was not harmful to be over on these areas.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I eat 40-30-30 with 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. I think 40%c/40%p/20%f is a good starting point for most people and you can tweak from there. MFP has a low fiber setting, imo, I set my to 25 because that is what works for me. Now is you are vegan, or other, you may well have different ratios from the get go.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm often over on fiber & protein, too.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm almost always over on protein and fiber everyday but isn't affecting my weight loss so I haven't been to concerned with it. I do know that the fiber set by mfp is low and I re-adjusted mine to 25 grams. Curious to see what everyone else says and I agree about the protein. On days I work out really hard, extra protein gives me the energy I need to get the job done.
  • intricate451
    Options
    if you work out, you should change the breakdown of your macros...

at least 40 30 30 P C F

if you workout you want protein to be the dominant macro...

I do 40% protein, 35% fat and 25% carbs...

I workout 5 days a week.

remember - fat doesnt make you fat.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    carbs per day 120 Eat fiber and lots because you can subtrct them from the carbs because the fiber is good stuff. Just drink lots of water! Protien is a good thing too for building muscle.! But lean protien is best.
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I am usual over too. But I feel better than eating junk. I hope it's not a bad thing too. lol
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input..I knew I wasn't alone! I know that eating more fiber and protein is good, but I just hate seeing those pesky red numbers at the bottom of my diary.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I will echo earlier comments about protein, especially when working out. My MFP macro percentages are at 50% protein, 30% carb, and 20% fat. I am doing P90X and my body fat % is still high so I am trying to shed fat and build muscle. I struggle to get my necessary protein grams and almost always go over slightly on carbs, but my fat has been staying under.

It all has to do with your goals, but I don't think being over on either of those will hurt you. If your body fat is low, and you bonk during workouts, the remedy is to up your carb intake.

You didn't say what kind of workouts you are doing, so it is really hard to tell if you are set up nutritionally to get the most out of your workout.

If you aren't satisfied with your progress, tweak your percentages and see what happens...
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just manually change it so you don't have to see the red. If your working out and hope to buid a little muscle or maintain what you have you should be eating more protein then they have alotted for you anyways!
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My workouts consist of 30DS, running and walking on the beach (great leg/butt workout!) So, I don't feel like I need to consume huge amounts of protein as I am working on building muscle, but not super hard core.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I do 40-30-30 (protein, carbs, fat). As far as fiber, I set mine for 25 g a day (I think), and I don't worry if I go over - that's my minimum. I'm also considering lowering my sodium, but haven't gone there yet.
  • intricate451
    Options
    hurtin yourself with that ratio.... drop protein by 5%-10% and add it to fat... Men need fat for proper hormone function...

fat does not make you fat.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hiya, by blowing out do you mean really going over a lot, or does that mean just enough to get those numbers in the red? If you are making progress toward your overall goal, and most important, if you are feeling good, then seeing protein and fiber numbers in the red within reason is not a bad thing, I think.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    you guys should give me some of your protein and fiber!! i am constantly trying to feed myself with proteins!!! (even with protein bars and protein shakes!!) so good job for fueling up on protein anyways! IMO, I think those percentages are good. maybe to cut back on proteins (if you feel you should) try eating more veggies and fruits to fill up :)
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I would worry about going over those.

By the way, how the heck do you change your goals? I know I can change what I see, but I haven't seen a way to change the numbers under each column.