i'm sure it's been q'd to death but...

Options
I read some of the newbie threads and I have to say I'm more friging confused than ever.

When I first set up the MFP app I set 1/2lb a week since I'm still nursing and I thought 1300 cals was too low. Then I discovered that you can add nursing and it will give you back calories so now I'm set @ 1350ish. That's just what MFP gave me based on height/weight/goal/age.

But when I enter the same info into the BMR thing it gives me a Minimum of 1450-ish. Shouldn't I be eating at least that many cals then even with my lifestyle set to "sedentary"? I figured the site took that all into account. Why would the same site give me conflicting answers?

Or maybe I'm just all friging confused. It was a lot clearer to me before I started reading the msg boards :)

Replies

• HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The BMR just tells you what you would burn if you laid in bed all day. Which is pretty close to having a sedentary lifestyle. 1350 would be about right because it's giving you a 100 calorie deficit a day.. Why would you want to eat more than you burn?
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Ok awesome - thanks. It just seemed like people were saying you shouldn't ever go under that number. Maybe I just misunderstood though.
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You should go by your BMR. The site calculation tries to get it as low as possible to help you maximize your weight loss... but I'm honestly not sure that dieting at all while breastfeeding is a good idea. I waited until I was done to start. You definately don't want to deprive your baby of the nutrients it needs. It wouldn't hurt to make healthy decisions on food, but I'm not sure I would be doing calorie counting. You might think about consulting a doctor or your child'd pediatrician.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    In order to loose weight you have to burn more calories than you consume. Energy in - energy out.
    So if you, just chilling need 1450 cals to keep your body going along at the exact same weight then you need to consume LESS than that in order to loose some weight. So MFP creates a deficit. And so your body draws on it's stores to make up that last 100 calories it needs each day. If you feed it that last 100 cals its not going to burn up anything stored :) Good luck x
  • stefraab
    Options
    You should go by your BMR. The site calculation tries to get it as low as possible to help you maximize your weight loss... but I'm honestly not sure that dieting at all while breastfeeding is a good idea. I waited until I was done to start. You definately don't want to deprive your baby of the nutrients it needs. It wouldn't hurt to make healthy decisions on food, but I'm not sure I would be doing calorie counting. You might think about consulting a doctor or your child'd pediatrician.

Oh, she's almost a year and a half. I'd have no qualms about weaning now. I think she mostly nurses for comfort. No worries there. Nursing/baby was my priority for the last 1.5 yrs :)
  • stefraab
    Options
    In order to loose weight you have to burn more calories than you consume. Energy in - energy out.
    So if you, just chilling need 1450 cals to keep your body going along at the exact same weight then you need to consume LESS than that in order to loose some weight. So MFP creates a deficit. And so your body draws on it's stores to make up that last 100 calories it needs each day. If you feed it that last 100 cals its not going to burn up anything stored :) Good luck x

Thanks! :)