Gave up...

Options
Well I have pretty much gave up on this dieting. I am hypothyroid and have only been on meds now 2 months, so I'm sure I'm not regulated yet. I have tried dieting/exercising with no success in weight loss. I feel like I am just wasting my time right now since I have been doing this 2 months and haven't lost a lb. Is it true that once I get regulated that I will not lose any weight?? This is awful!!

Replies

• JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi! I've got hypothyroidism too. Only, my meds are regulated now. Don't give up. Even if you don't lose weight right at first, you're doing your body a world of good by changing your habits and it will make it easier when you do get the right doses.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I personally hate having people look at my food diary, but I think it really does help when you get a fresh eye in there. It may help, and it may not, but either way don't give up and good luck! :smile:
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too. I take Synthroid and have been on it for a few years now. I have been able to lose weight, as you can see from my ticker, just started Jan. 3rd (how cliche!). So, I think it gets easier once the meds kick in!
  • jaydensmommy2010
    jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I haven't even been logging lately because I have been so disgusted so my diary is blank.. : /
    I personally hate having people look at my food diary, but I think it really does help when you get a fresh eye in there. It may help, and it may not, but either way don't give up and good luck! :smile:
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    from what i understand a lot of the energy drinks can wreak havoc on the thyroid...wonder about this???
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    don't give up... even if the lbs aren't coming off yet, you are getting some good out of exercising and watching what you eat! Don't weigh yourself and just keep going for a few weeks... It will happen. Also, you may talk to your dr. to clue him/her in on what you are doing with exercise and diet... he/she make be able to offer you some insight!
  • mcvc
    mcvc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My thyroid quit working years ago. I go for blood work every 6 months to make sure its regulated. I started with MFP on February 6th (super bowl Sunday, what a spike on my chart). I am currently down 42 pounds and shrinking. Give it time.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    :( dont be disheartened! Keep at it, if not for weight loss for fitness! I dont have any issues with me losing weight apart from laziness! I wish if i went for a walk that killer dogs would chase me to get me to move my *kitten*! I wish my enemy who thinks she is better then me was at the gym on the next treadmill so i push myself to beat her! It has to be in your heart to keep going, just know u can do it! You may be restricted to the success but you will see results, you just have to hang in there! I have 7 kilos to go and id be down to my goal weight 2 months ago if i wasnt so....lazy :(
  • precious71701
    Options
    My heart goes out to you,...but please don't give up...,Just the exercising alone eventually should make you feel much better and give you more energy...Feeling good about ourselves makes us shine in ways we sometimes don't even notice....Keep trying...You are a mom and you need that extra energy...
  • super601
    super601 Posts: 4
    Options
    Please don't give up , i find going on the treadmill is my way of blowing stress off . I do around 45mins and feel great after each workout . Weather its raining or snowing you still get to work off as much as you like .
  • crisberube
    crisberube Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think my thyroid is acting up too. A year or two ago I had half my thyroid removed. In the past few months I have gained 30 pounds. Thats a lot of weight to gain in a short time. I am going to get it tested soon when I find a doctor. I want to give up to but I have to focus on retraining my eating habits even if I dont loose weight. First I have to eat healthy then the weight hopefully will start to fall off.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, PCOS, insulin resistance and a bunch of other problems, and if I can lose weight anybody can girl. You just have to keep plugging at it. I had to wait 3 years after the IR and PCOS set in until my body let go of anything, but I have had hypothyroidism my entire life and it was harder to lose weight, but I did it because I was working hard and doing it the healthy way. You can do it and if you want you can add me. Don't be fooled by the number on the scale either, if you are exercising you may be gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat and you are probably losing inches in your sides, butt and stomach and other various places. I have only lost 4 with MFP, but have lost 32 since January.
  • ccwicks
    ccwicks Posts: 39
    Options
    Never, never, never give up on yourself - you have too much to offer to your family and the world!!! We have your back with support, try it again and we'll be there for you
  • rileymax07
    rileymax07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I will jump on the "don't give up" bandwagon too... I have hypothroid as well. I am not on any medication, and scheduled to have that evil little **** tested here in a week or two. This weight loss thing is a b*%#@!!! Every time I weigh, and see no loss, I want to punch the wall (or someone else who irritates me)!! But the good thing is... I work out 5-6 days per week, eat healthy, and feel better than I have felt in years. Do I get tired? Yes!! Do I get frustrated? Yes!! Do I give up? HELL NO!!! I want to make a change for me, and to be around long enough to be a pain in the backside to my granddaughter. (I've tortured my son long enough.. it's her turn now). If you quit, you'll only add fuel to the fire that got you here in the first place... think it through... we're here for you!!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Don't give up on yourself. I have had hypothyroidism for SEVERAL years -- way before I began my weight loss journey. It is pretty well-regulated by taking generic Synthroid.
    It may take you longer.....it may be more difficult, but I am living proof that you can lose weight. Don't use having an underactive thyroid as an excuse for not losing weight.
    A lot of people have posted about how difficult it is to lose weight if you have hypothyroidism. I guess I don't know any different because I didn't try to lose weight before I was diagnosed. I do know that you can do it if you put your mind to it.
    Kaye
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Options
    Wow I didn't expect to even get any responds!!! It is just so frustrating!!! I'm only 26 and it just disgusts me that the scale will not budge!!! Before, even eating junk I could lose weight and never counted a single calorie and had no problem what so ever!! I have been exercising (before last week) 5 days a week since Oct. and usually that alone helps me. But now, it seems that no matter what I do I can't lose. I don't want to blame something on this but it has to be either my thyroid or that my body changed from having a baby 10 months ago..... I haven't logged or counted calories in about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks, but have still exercised.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hey, Jaydensmommy--

You have a huge opportunity to benefit your son by learning healthy eating habits that you can share with him. You don't need to be able to cook at lot to have a very healthy diet, and your son will enjoy spending time in the kitchen with you as you figure things out.

I learned to cook from The "I Don't Know How to Cook" Book. There are lots of cookbooks out there for new cooks, but I still use some of the recipes from that one, and my family still likes them. Take the time to learn now. You'll be amazed at how much healthier you'll feel. :-)
  • rosaliabritt
    rosaliabritt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I understand and know what you are going through. I have hypothyrodism--as a result of two autoimmune disease-diagnosed 3 years ago. I went through a horrible time and to this day, my medication Synthroid, is constantly being adjusted. The good news...it will all settle down and you will begin to feel better. In the meantime, eating better and exercising while your meds get regulated and builds in your system--will only benefit you as you form good healthy habits with eating and exercising. As for me, yes, I have, after time, been able to lose some weight--slowly but consistently-while utilizing this site, MFP. So, don't give up, take it slow and easy, and don't beat yourself up.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    try to find other milestones to monitor. I too have hypothyrioidism... In some ways I HATE this site, because I watch sooo many people lose so much weight, and I lose so slowly. I know that is selfish, but it is hard to take sometimes. I have found that if I can maintain a focus on the OTHER benefits (like better sleep, anxiety reduction, increased energy, better fitting clothes, reducing water retention etc). I have been actively participating in the site since Jan, and have lost ALMOST 10 lbs (YUP, that is about 2 lbs a MONTH!). I am learning to be okay with that. It is just a number. I KNOW that my energy is improving and my muscle is increasing and my cholesterol and BP is better. Those milestones are more important than the number on the scale ANY DAY!

Good luck and keep at it! It IS worth it! HYPOTHYROIDISM SUX! But it could be worse.... :ohwell:
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your kind words and help!!!! I don't want to blame an illness on not being able to lose weight but it is frustrating at times. I am so focused on the number on the scale that I don't even take measurements. I feel myself getting stronger but like I said, I'm more concerned about the number!!